Why become a member? ×

Why haven't they made?

Low End Bee

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347617513' post='1803044']
All the ones I've seen work the wrong way in that they lower the frets rather than raising the rest of the fretboard.
[/quote]

Why? surely you can play a fretless in a way that it's not that different sounding to a fretted. (except for slap)

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1347621411' post='1803104']
It would be interesting to hear what effect the Helium would have considering sound travels faster through it then normal air. Even in a sealed cab it's got to make a difference I would imagine.
[/quote]My parents have these Hi-fi speakers that are sealed and have a vacuum inside, at some point they will pop and stop working but it's an interesting speaker design idea.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347618711' post='1803066']
Why? surely you can play a fretless in a way that it's not that different sounding to a fretted. (except for slap)
[/quote]

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here. IMO the problem with lowering the frets is that it in effect raises the action and fretless works best with a low action for maximum "mwah". And if you want to slap on a fretless you can always add a "slap plate" to the end of the fingerboard.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1347618542' post='1803063']
A sealed 8x10 filled with helium ;-)
[/quote]

Remember that helium because its molecules are smaller and lighter than the molecules that make up the majority of our atmosphere can seep through smaller pores in the holding material (the reason why helium balloons eventually go flat) so you have to keep topping it up.

Of course someone will now do the maths and explain why filling the cab with helium instead of normal air will only reduce the weight by a negligible amount...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347624472' post='1803199']
According to my (very rough) calculations filling an Ampeg 8x10 with Helium instead of air will make it approximately 350g lighter.
[/quote] how much does the sealant weigh? did you factor that in too?

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1347621323' post='1803102']
[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/video/2012/aug/23/star-wars-hover-bike-float-video"]http://www.guardian....ike-float-video[/url]
[/quote]

Wow - how have I missed that bit of recent news? Thanks for that.

Interesting that the video is silent - I bet the thing is bloody deafening. :lol:

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347624694' post='1803204']
how much does the sealant weigh? did you factor that in too?
[/quote]
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1347625508' post='1803224']
Plus the weight of the one-way valve.
[/quote]
[quote name='charic' timestamp='1347626184' post='1803231']
And the extra pages added to the manual :P oh and the spare helium tank incase you have a leak.
[/quote]

I did say that my calculations were rough. I didn't allow for the thickness of the cab material (just took the outside dimensions), the fact that the cab isn't a basic six-sided object but has two wedge shaped cutouts at the back which reduce the overall volume, not did I factor in the reduction in internal cab volume due to space occupied by the speakers and any other items inside the cab, so 350g is somewhat optimistic!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347622241' post='1803120']
My parents have these Hi-fi speakers that are sealed and have a vacuum inside, at some point they will pop and stop working but it's an interesting speaker design idea.
[/quote]

uh?

Surely if there's a vacuum inside it'll just suck the cones up against the magnets and they can only move forwards?

What's the problem it's trying to solve?

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1347621411' post='1803104']
It would be interesting to hear what effect the Helium would have considering sound travels faster through it then normal air. Even in a sealed cab it's got to make a difference I would imagine.
[/quote]

If you filled the whole venue with Helium the audience would speak very highly of your playing.