Why become a member? ×

Cool Stagename = More Success?

zero9

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1346178651' post='1786206']
Changing real names to stagenames appears more prevalent amongst the guitardist community, then amongst bassists. I'm struggling to find good examples of bass players who've adopted stagenames other than Sting (I've lived a fairly sheltered life :D ).
[/quote]

Sid Vicious, although I'm not entirely sure you can class him as a bassist ;) .

There are plenty of people, who I met online, who call me KB in real life, mainly because I won't tell them my real name... (I hate my real name, even friends who I didn't meet online don't call me by my real name). I've been using this name since 1998, so I would quite happily use it as a stage name. I always thought [b]KingBollock and the Danglies[/b] would make a good name for a punk band.

Edited by KingBollock

I was recently talking to my mate Bristol Dave, AKA Natzee-Tintin, Shorts Guy, Diamond Dave, Hipster Hitler Roadie. He had a mate in the punk era who's genuine name was Nicholas Vile. Meant he had a lot of trouble with the police whenever they asked him his name and he replied Nicky Vile.

My take: normally vastly overrated, but an intelligent look at the times, the style and the name couldn't hurt.
No singer/songwriter should use Willy Idle, for example.

Of the name generators, I liked the blues name one best. It's simply:
A blues name consists of three parts:
- a bodily impediment or similar
- a fruit, vegetable or similar
- a US president's family name

I'm Slantin' Banana Clinton. Where's my success?
BTW, what chords in blues?

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Weren't "Lemmy" and "Sting" their nick names long before they were performers?

I recently did a stint depping in a tongue in cheek country band called The Johnsons. Their act is that they are brothers (and sisters) ,anything up to seven or eight of them. They all have stage names --------- Johnson. Clint, Garry-Lee,Zac,Elli-May, Johnny "Geetar" etc For the duration of my stay I was known as "Duke" (pronounced "Dook") Johnson.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1346219170' post='1786553']
Weren't "Lemmy" and "Sting" their nick names long before they were performers?

[/quote]

Gordon used to wear a black and yellow striped jumper that made him look like a wasp and Ian was always asking to borrow stuff - usually drink and drugs - and was how he'd say "lend me a ....." so "lend me" became Lemmy

Only just noticed this thread.

I spose it depends on the genre, and what your name is to start with. Dunno if anybody has mentioned Larry Parnes yet. he gave pretty much everybody in his stable a flashy 'exciting' name. Billy [i]Fury[/i]. Tommy [i]Steel[/i] etc. According to Joe Brown Parnes wanted to call him Elmer Twich... He wanted to rename Ray Davies as well I think.

A cool stage name, like an image, is only any good if you can carry it off. You could end up looking like that guy in Fools and Horses that only sings song without R,s in them,

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1346177078' post='1786179']
Sometimes stage names shouldn't be used though. Like Pat Smear from the Foo Fighters, his real name is Georg Ruthenberg, which if you ask me, sounds MUCH better than Pat Smear...

Liam
[/quote]

Think that name stems from when he was in the Germs. I don't think Georg Ruthenberg would've sat quite as well alongside Darby Crash, Lorna Doom and Donna Rhia B)

I guess the name stuck.

Edited by Ruiner

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1346230005' post='1786648']
Larry Parnes [/quote]

More Parnes:

Tommy Steele (Tommy Hicks)
Marty Wilde (Reg Patterson)
Billy Fury (Ron Wycherley)
Vince Eager (Roy Taylor)
Dickie Pride (Richard Knellar)
Lance Fortune (Chris Morris)
Duffy Power (Ray Howard),
Johnny Gentle (John Askew)
Terry Dene (Terence Williams)
Nelson Keene (Malcolm Holland)
Georgie Fame (Clive Powell)
Derek Bollocks (Danny Enthusiastic)

(OK, I made the last one up.)

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

There's no doubting that image is important to music and to musicians. I definitely think a band that has stage names and stage costumes have more chance of being noticed than a bunch of guys in jeans and tshirts. Of course, you have to have the talent as well---bands who look the part but are crap will always just be a novelty.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1346234380' post='1786721']
Maurice Micklewhite anybody?

Or Reg Dwight?
[/quote]
[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1346233219' post='1786699']
More Parnes:

Tommy Steele (Tommy Hicks)
Marty Wilde (Reg Patterson)
Billy Fury (Ron Wycherley)
Vince Eager (Roy Taylor)
Dickie Pride (Richard Knellar)
Lance Fortune (Chris Morris)
Duffy Power (Ray Howard),
Johnny Gentle (John Askew)
Terry Dene (Terence Williams)
Nelson Keene (Malcolm Holland)
Georgie Fame (Clive Powell)
Derek Bollocks (Danny Enthusiastic)

(OK, I made the last one up.)

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

I spose if you have got an ordinary sounding real name.its less memorable than something that rolls nicely off the tongue. And you do need people to remember you as something other than the bloke wiv a mustache out of the so and so band. Parnes was a clever bloke in his day.

Didnt Derek Bollox present New Faces ?