Why become a member? ×

Cool Stagename = More Success?

zero9

I've often pondered if a cool stagename could, in some way, be contributory to greater success.

For instance, would Sting have been as successful using his real name?

Therefore, would I be better off changing my name, rather than putting in lots of practicing, for a step up on the ladder to bass playing success? (Basically I'm lazy and looking for a shortcut to become more succesful :lol: ).

Maybe anyone could share some amusing thoughts or even examples of this :) .

Edited by zero9

Undoubtably. I think a couple of great examples are Ziggy Stardust, and then the punk movement.

And by the way, in my band The Tuesday Club, I`m Glabrous Fabulous B) The rest of the band being Andreas Van Der Braindrain, Tettsbar Telski, The Beautiful Wolf, Minki Von Minx, J-Rod, Wasabi Worm, and Jerry Berry.

Edited by Lozz196

Changing real names to stagenames appears more prevalent amongst the guitardist community, then amongst bassists. I'm struggling to find good examples of bass players who've adopted stagenames other than Sting (I've lived a fairly sheltered life :D ).

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1346178651' post='1786206']
I'm struggling to find good examples of bass players who've adopted stagenames other than Sting (I've lived a fairly sheltered life :D ).
[/quote]

Lemmy? Jah Wobble? Gene Simmons?

Surely there's a silly stagename generator somewhere?

A guitarist I worked with used a stage name and a pseudonym when in manager mode. Both pretty daft names, certainly doubt they made any contribution of any sort.

Nobody's mentioned Flea yet, or for that matter, whatever the symbol formerly known as 'the artist formerly known as' who was once Prince.

Whilst mooching up and down the aisles in HMV the other week I came across CD's issued by bands such as:
[list]
[*]Get cape, wear cape, fly
[*]The front bottoms
[*]f***
[*]sh*t Disco
[/list]
and back in the day (of punk) there were notable bands such as
[list]
[*]The Snivelling Shits
[*]Toe Jam
[*]The Queers
[/list]
Makes our name 'The Reserves' sound rather.....well....reserved!

LC

PS: Saw 'Massive Scrotum Damage' on a band name generator site the other nite! Quite catchy I thought....