Why become a member? ×

My 1st Gig

Pestie

Played my first gig last night as a bass player. Absolutely terrifying but also enjoyable. We played from 7.30-11.00 and I was shattered. I was given a song list of over 40 songs two weeks ago and had to busk them all, happy days!!!!!!!!! I managed to keep my timing and hit the roots so the future looks rosy.

Has anybody got any advice for a beginner please to make it easier.

Thanks

Mike

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1345988947' post='1783818']

Smile! There's nothing worse than seeing a band play where they all look miserable :)
[/quote]

I heard from a bassist that "no decent rhythm section ever smiled, EVER!". There is a bazaar truth in it though!

Well done on your first gig! Sounds like it went really well. As for advice on what to do, enjoy your self and play more gigs! And enjoy your self!

Dan

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1345992259' post='1783866']
Enjoy yourself and things will just get easier as time goes on and your confidence grows , I used to stand at the back trying not to be seen and now I am up front and loving it !
[/quote]

Yup..same here!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1345992835' post='1783871']
If you`ve learned 40+ songs in two weeks, for your first gig, I think you should be offering advice :)

Seriously, whatever method you used, it seems to have worked, so stick at it, and remember it`s all for fun.
[/quote]

I'm with Lozz on that!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1345988713' post='1783813']
Just play.

Enjoy yourself.

Remember that any mistakes are gone in an instant so don't worry about them.
[/quote]

This. You barely notice the mistakes in others at gigs you watch, so don't waste your time imagining people are dwelling on yours :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1346003794' post='1784006'] You barely notice the mistakes in others at gigs you watch, so don't waste your time imagining people are dwelling on yours :)
[/quote]

Good advice. And if the mistake is really bad, glare at the guitarist, and most of the punters will think it's him :lol:

Seriously, learning 40 songs in a fortnight is bloody impressive. I do well to learn one in that time!

If you make a mistake do it again the next time round and people will think it`s meant, then say to the guys it was a jazz chord. Always works for me!

If you played for 3.5 hours solid, no wonder you were cream crackered. I always find that if I haven`t played a gig for a few weeks, it takes a few songs to get the old digits back up to "gig pace."

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1345988713' post='1783813']
Remember that any mistakes are gone in an instant so don't worry about them.
[/quote]Repeat any mistakes to prove that's what you meant to do :lol:
Damn just looked up and saw my predecessor beat me to it

Frankly a mistakes gone in a second (says the burk who forgot the words to All Right Now for the second night running :blush: ) and if the punters are enjoying themselves the only person who knows will be you, and the jealous bass player stood at the back of the gig wishing (s)he had a gig

Edited by WalMan

Bloody well done mate. I did my first gig with a full band last week. We only did three songs and I was completely drained! I dont think I even know 40 songs.

As for smiling - my theory is that you should look mean and moody while playing , but flash a smile at the audience in between songs. Also smile at the drummer occasionally in a conspiritorial manner as if to imply 'aren't we a great rhythm section?'.

good on you fella first gig is a buzz1 i tried the mean and moody look which all my fave bass players the ox jj burnell neil murray and all and a few gigs in was informed by a punter i looked disinterested so after that i embraced just playing bass and having fun full on!

Thank you all so much for your positive and kind comments. This really is the place to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have taken on board everything that has been said and I will certainly be looking forward to the next one in two weeks. By that time I should be better and have more confidence to play more than roots.

thank you, thank you :D

[quote name='Mike Vickers' timestamp='1346077004' post='1784906']
Thank you all so much for your positive and kind comments. This really is the place to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have taken on board everything that has been said and I will certainly be looking forward to the next one in two weeks. By that time I should be better and have more confidence to play more than roots.

thank you, thank you :D
[/quote]

Confidence is a massive thing.......I'm always nervous till be are half a dozen tunes in, then I can relax more and get more into the groove. All good after that.