Why become a member? ×

Cleanest sounding amp?

nottswarwick

So, I think I am getting to grips with my Streamliner, and am getting some lovely full wooly valvey tones, nice and warm.

But, then I run my bass through my desk and studio monitors at home to brush up a couple of lines today and the clarity is a whole new level of pleasure.

This has got me wondering - what is the cleanest most transparent head or amp set up out there? I'm using two Vanderkley 12s which seem fine. I could get my overdrive from a separate pedal.

Just curious.

Chris

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1345314662' post='1776250']
In my head trace is one of the most coloured tones around!
[/quote]

I'd go with that.... really didn't liked the typical brittle graphic sound.and the only think that could downgrade that influence was a few valves in the output stage.
Liked the twins and quattros.. in moderation.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1345312646' post='1776216']
Cheers. Was pondering one of the EA amps they look great.
[/quote]

I've used Euphonic Audio iAmp8oo for several years. Very clean, transparent, uncoloured sound. EQ, should you need to use it subtle but effective. Originally used to power EA CXL1x12 and 1x10 cabs. More recently two Vanderkley MNT1x12s. The EA cabs were very clean too. The Vanderkleys have a bit more warmth to them. The amp performs wonderfully through either set up. I used to have an iAmp 350 which I used with the EA cabs. This amp did the same job, just with a few less watts. I think the pre amp in the two amps was the same, just a bigger, more efficient power amp in the 800.

Edited by Bassdriver

You know, gigged last night again, and the STM is great. However, the set up I have been happiest with in my bass playing life to date has been:

SR4
Sansamp BDDI (for grit where necessary)
Markbass Std 104

I have none of the above equipment any more.....the reason for this folly is that I play guitar and drums also, and moved over to drums for a couple of years, so sold alot of my bass stuff to fund kit upgrades. Music is my profession, so I need to keep up 3 pr spec rigs (guitar, bass and drums) - but I don'e have the funds to do this to my ultimate satisfaction.

I wonder how much of my sound was due to the SR4 ( see my other thread) or whether it is all 3 things in tandem. I could get a crystal clear sound, but when things get rocky/indie (Killers, Specials, Clash etc) I could be really gnarly and aggressive with the BDDI (used carefully to avoid the scoop).

I'm a bit depressed by this state of affairs lol.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1345314686' post='1776251']
Fearful 15/15/66 combined with Crown XTi 6000 or QSC of similar power. Adequate clean headroom. Pre amp to taste.
[/quote]

I'm using an old QSC power amp at the moment and it's the best sound I've ever had (with a Behringer preamp would you believe). It knocks spots off my previous Trace, TC Electronics and Ashdown amps in terms of sheer, unadulterated transparency. Not to mention punch and infinite headroom.