Why become a member? ×

Strap Locks

Nodd

Recently I have had a couple of 'near death' experiences with my Precision.
The Schaller strap buttons have popped off mid-tune resulting in a tumbling bass! :o
At around 14lbs it doesn't bounce very well.

I'm not a rooted-to-the-spot kinda guy and I had a couple of previous accidents with strap disconnections.
Didn't fancy the Gaffa tape remedy, so went for strap locks.
I have had them on for a few years now with no issues.

I first thought I had not clipped the strap ends into the button properly, then it happened again.
I noticed that the 'U' shaped strap end had turned around and with the open end up it was easier for the strap end to pop off the button.
Closer inspection revealed that the spring loaded central locking pin had become very worn, these do not protrude very far into the strap button on the bass anyway, but the worn pin renders it all very unsafe.

Might be worth any of you with these strap locks checking them for these symptoms

Any advice or comments on alternative solutions would be welcome.
Nodd

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/70420-schaller-strap-locks-and-how-to-fit-them-properly/"]Here[/url] is a post about how to fit Straplocks both the buttons and the locks themselves so that you get years of trouble-free service out of them.

There have been several threads about them wearing out (not a problem I've ever encountered even on ones fitted 20+ years ago) and speculation that some of the straplocks being sold are not genuine Schaller items but cheap knock-offs.

Edited by BigRedX

My cheapo DIY solution to this whilst touring back in the day, was to fashion 2 big plastic washers from 2 pop bottle lids. Cost was nil and they still work now, they've been on my Jazz since 2000. I guess you could even chose your colour Coke, lemonade, lilt etc.

Edited by chapsimon

Yeah, washers will work for peanuts.

I'll admit, I have Schallers on all my main basses - and have not had an issue (well, an issue not of my own making, anyway) yet, though I'll keep an eye out. For me, it's normally where the nut has worked loose and no longer secures the strap, rather than the any issue with the pin.

The only other set I've used has been a set of Warwick straplocks - which seemed very well made, also.

I buy cheapo straps and bolt 'em on..... strap button off, large washer between the strap and strap button, strap button back on again, often with a longer screw to be on the safe side.

I've only dropped a bass once in my life, luckily it landed strap button down on my two (already) broken toes so it didn't even dent the finish.

Edit: Forgot to mention some people use the rubber washers off Grolsch bottles, just pulled over the strap button.

Edited by Fat Rich

Gentlemen,
I thank you for your sagely advice.
EBS freak's guide is very helpful.

Perhaps I need to wear my glasses more often,
or more likely use proper scales...
it weighs in at just under 10lbs, perhaps it's because it is a lefty.
(There has to be some reason it cost all that extra!)

Nodd

Schallers are mechanically the strongest, but you need do have to make sure the nut is tight and with a couple of dabs of locktite on it I can't ever see why one would fail.

Th spring loaded pin should not get any real loading on it if the locks are fitted nice & tight, but a loosened nut might just change all that.

Whilst I like Schallers and have used them for 20 years, I would [b]never use them without Locktite[/b]

Edited by Tankdave

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1344527046' post='1766010']
Started with Schallers and later moved to Dunlops. Of the two I much prefer the latter, but these days use the plastic Dunlop locking discs, which seem just fine.
[/quote]

Yes, the discs are great, never had a problem with them.

I've used Schallers for twenty years without any problems. I've always had the lock connected to the strap (with the U the right way up!). But some people prefer to put the strap on the button as normal, and then put the lock on afterwards. That way, if the lock fails, then the strap should still be connected to the button as usual, albeit no longer with any kind of lock.

I've used Dunlops for a few years (having bought a bass with recessed Dunlops) and they seem fine.

Grolsch are still doing their straplocks-with-a-free-bottle-of-lager. I bought some in Morrisons a few weeks back.

Warwick straplocks are very dodgy. I've had one new bass where the factory fitted straplocks weren't even interchangeable between top and bottom buttons! One was too tight, the other so loose I could easily pull it out. I quickly swapped them for Dunlops. After testing a few different Warwick buttons and locks I found that this problem was quite prevalent.

I use Dunlops, as to me they just feel a bit more solid than Schaller ones for some reason. I'm debating about whether to start using the recessed ones as it's a bit of a cleaner look and keeps the strap a little closer to the bass. Never had a problem with either Schaller or Dunlop one's though, even on my 10lb-ish Squier.

Liam

I checked mine yesterday, I use the warwick locking buttons with the dunlop locks and found that both the warwick buttons had worked loose. I don't know why this has happened, but I replaced them with the dunlop ones and there is now a satisfying click as they go in, seem solid enough.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1345020955' post='1772318']
I've used Schallers for twenty years without any problems. I've always had the lock connected to the strap (with the U the right way up!). But some people prefer to put the strap on the button as normal, and then put the lock on afterwards. That way, if the lock fails, then the strap should still be connected to the button as usual, albeit no longer with any kind of lock.
[/quote]

This. I never got on with the Schaller locks, my Musicman has strap buttons so well designed that I've never needed straplocks. But my Jazz Bass has Fender straplocks on, which came off nightly until I superglued the fecker on there!

It was only when I saw the guitarist in one of my bands using their Schaller locks the 'wrong' way (not attached to the strap) that I asked about it and was given the same explanation as above. Its a far better way to use them to be honest as it has a failsafe and doesn't rely on a tiny threaded nut staying put! Although it works exactly the same way as a grolsch bottle seal then - which is far more rock n' roll if you ask me!

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1345022369' post='1772339']
I checked mine yesterday, I use the warwick locking buttons with the dunlop locks and found that both the warwick buttons had worked loose. I don't know why this has happened, but I replaced them with the dunlop ones and there is now a satisfying click as they go in, seem solid enough.
[/quote]
That would be because the Warwick locks and the Dunlop locks are different sizes (even more than the Warwick ones differ among themselves). They are not compatible - the Warwick parts are very slightly bigger. So if you try putting a Warwick lock in a Dunlop button it will not fit, and if you do it the other way round then they are too loose. ([url="http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php/15484-Dunlop-Warwick-strap-locks-interchangeable?highlight=Dunlop"]http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php/15484-Dunlop-Warwick-strap-locks-interchangeable[/url]).

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1345020923' post='1772317']
+1 for grolschlocks. Free beer with each washer :)
[/quote]Another vote for this system. I've used Schaller, Dunlop, all sorts, but the Grolsch bottle seal is easily the best. It doesn't wear, doesn't creak (a common Schaller problem I found) and if you pick up the wrong strap, no problem.

Oddly I had the reverse on Sunday after rehearsals I couldn't get the pin to clear the button so one end of the strap was stuck on the bass. came off with some brute force when I got home, first time they have ever gone wrong.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1345034822' post='1772636']
That would be because the Warwick locks and the Dunlop locks are different sizes (even more than the Warwick ones differ among themselves). They are not compatible - the Warwick parts are very slightly bigger. So if you try putting a Warwick lock in a Dunlop button it will not fit, and if you do it the other way round then they are too loose. ([url="http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php/15484-Dunlop-Warwick-strap-locks-interchangeable?highlight=Dunlop"]http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php/15484-Dunlop-Warwick-strap-locks-interchangeable[/url]).
[/quote]

Well, they have been fine for the last 3-4 months. its the buttons that were loose (the screw was coming loose from the guitar) not the locking mechanism.

i've been using the schallers for about 10 years now without any problems, i found that if you follow the guide linked above and enlarge the strap hole properly then the lock fits much better to the strap, it seems to just grip better and doesn't turn, i've seen some copies of the schallers and they'd modified the design slightly, removing the chamfer from the outside of the button and putting a bigger chamfer on the pin, looked far less secure to me, the schaller ones seem to grip better.

i've seen the dunlop ones and used them on a friends guitar but I never really trusted them I prefer the schaller design, to my engineer mind it seems the better design. but each to their own.

Matt