Why become a member? ×

Strap Locks

Nodd

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1345038795' post='1772717']
Well, they have been fine for the last 3-4 months. its the buttons that were loose (the screw was coming loose from the guitar) not the locking mechanism.
[/quote]
Oh, ok. Curious - the last Warwick I got the screws were in so tight I had to cut the button off and use mole grips to get the screw out!

[quote name='devnulljp' timestamp='1345005750' post='1772197']
I bought a dozen of these things from a local ubrew place seeing as Grolsch doesn't seem to use them any more.
Cost about $2 and they work great.

[/quote]

Yes, they seem to have worked wonderfully! ;)

[quote name='Nodd' timestamp='1344516520' post='1765775']
I noticed that the 'U' shaped strap end had turned around and with the open end up it was easier for the strap end to pop off the button.
[/quote]

The open end is [i]supposed[/i] to be up. The U-shaped bit supports the weight of your bass, not the little lock pin inside.
But you're right, Schallers do wear. I have them on most of my basses and on my main gigging bass I have to replace them every 4 years or so because I'm able to slip the lock right off the strap button without the need to pull the pin out. I also have to fasten the nut that holds my strap to the straplock once in a while. I therefore kinda favour the Dunlop system nowadays.

I had Schallers on both basses for a while-I got fed up with having to keep retightening or reglueing the strap button screws into place-plus all the clanking and rattling got on my nerves as well. When I got my Shuker it didn't have them-Jon fits them as standard nowadays, but didn't when mine was made, and I didn't get it new. Jon even offered to send me a set for free, but I wasn't about to start messing with the screws on my JJ, so I went for bottle washers (I got some nice blue ones from posh water) which I'm still using on both my basses with no problems whatsoever.

MB1.
Long time Schaller user,have tried other makes but I prefer schallers ,,never had any problems with them.
One of my basses carries a reminder from a previous owner of what happens when you don't use strap locks!
When I purchase a new bass, strap locks are usually the first acquisition along with batteries and new strings.