Why become a member? ×

What is your favourite brand of strings? (Survey)

davidmpires

Evening everyone

As part of a project I'm working on I would like to find out what are the top brands used by our large community. I've asked Ped if it would be ok to conduct a small survey and he gave me the thumbs up after I given him a few pink notes. :lol: .

Please tell me what is your favourite brand of strings and if I miss it from the list please select other and mention it in the posts.

Thanks a lot in advance

David

ps: Mine are Elixir, love the coating.

Edited by davidmpires

I cant really vote on this just yet... At the moment the best sounding strings I've used are Elites, but they don't seem to last very long. I also love Newtones but they don't seem quite as zingy... Going to gig with some D'Addario Prosteels this weekend though so time will tell!

When I was a kid I saw a set of Rotosound in a shop window and really liked the packaging. I've used them ever since when I have to buy them. My sound is pretty pre-historic so if I get given any others I'll use any old crap. I don't break strings much (twice in 30 odd years of gigging) so they last me ages - usually years rather than months.

I do have some elixirs on my Shuker and they do sound as good a when they went on , but to my ears that was pretty average to be honest.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1344379364' post='1763817']
.Going to gig with some D'Addario Prosteels this weekend though so time will tell!
[/quote] If you like zingy, you'll love Prosteel's! Been using them for a while now, had a set with a duff E string, quick email to D'Addario, couple of complimentary sets arrived less than 48 hours later, so great strings and great service.

You know.. I haven't changed a set of strings on any of my basses for at least 10-years! :blink: (I don't get out much).. the first set I bought for my first bass (Aria Pro II) were Rotosound light gauge 30 50 70 90 and I carried on using these, particularly with the JD's until I changed to Elites - mainly because The Bass Centre used to sell them in bundles for less.. or give you a free set when you bought something..

There is no single right answer.

Different strings suit different basses, playing styles and sounds.

Currently I am using the following strings on various basses: LaBella Hard Rocking Steels (two different gauges), Overwater Steels, Overwater Nickels, Pedulla Nickels, Rotosound Flatwounds, SIT Nickels, TI Jazz Flats.

BTW if you want people to only pick one option in your poll you should have used radio buttons and not check boxes. I seleceted all the relevant options.

PS Elixiers and DR strings are the nastiest things I've ever had to misfortune to find on a stringed instrument.

DR, though I do also use Elixir, Status and Overwater. I try to find which strings work best for me with which bass and use accordingly, rather than being particularly loyal to one brand.
Elixirs are great on the Warwicks, but sound "quacky" on instruments with phenolic fretboards.

Horses for courses, GHS Precision Flats for P-Bass, TI Jazz Flats for Jazz bass, for me they don't suit the other way round.

GHS Black Nylons when I want that silky tone, these work on P's & J's. GHS are expensive in the UK but easy to get direct from the states, TI's also costly but worth the money every time.

Status Hot Wires I'd vote best value for money though, all rounders - really top class flatwounds at very sensible price, usually posted next day :happy: