Why become a member? ×

People standing on one's cables on stage

xilddx

It seems to happen to me quite a lot, usually during soundchecks, usually non-musos (photographers, choreographers, MCs, etc.) on the stage, but often singers. It doesn't half piss me off, I feel like they've just stood on one of my cats or summat. My obbm cables seem to withstand it thankfully. My POD X3 LIVE is now sporting a deep scar from a 4" stiletto heel too.

I find it odd and very annoying that some people seem to be oblivious to the welfare of my gear. I'm sure I'm not alone.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1344127071' post='1760270']
Do I get photographers, choreographers, MCs and singers in 4" stiletto heels at my gigs. No, I do not, and if I did, the odd squashed cable would be a tiny price to pay.

:P , sunshine.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]
Point taken :D

Yup, other band members completely oblivious to anything that isn't a guitar or a microphone (drummers seem to be more considerate / aware) or worse, drunk punters wandering onto the stage and swaying remarkably close to your pedal board.

Agree a lot. When I'm on stage i try to keep cables to a minimised route to avoid possibility of someone standing on them but no matter how i do it people always seem to stand on them and at the end of the night if the cables aren't physically damaged they are extremely dirty to say the least.
How come when I'm on stage i step OVER cables yet guitarists or singers step ON them. Weird but true.
As for photographers and guests of the band - they should be banned from the stage area. Its not their gear so go away and find yir own space to invade :lol: :dash1: :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1344154503' post='1760373']
Gaffa Tape and step ladder.

Run cable upwards from your amp to the ceiling, tape it up with gaffa tape. Run it forwards taping it to the ceiling every few metres to where you're going to be standing on stage, where it drops and plugs into your bass.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Need to try this approach. Cheaper than buying a wireless system :lol:

Dave

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344126852' post='1760267']
I find it odd and very annoying that some people seem to be oblivious to the welfare of my gear. I'm sure I'm not alone.
[/quote]

you are not.

id be quite pleased if the guitarist stood on my cables

it might electromagnetically infuse some of that bass signal goodness into them and curb their widdling tendencies with a moderate improvement in general good musical taste :D

edit - maybe i should invest in a really long cable and detour it under the keyboardists feet too - maybe if they could 'sense' the bass line they'd feel less compulsion to keep doubling it all the time :ph34r:

Edited by steve-bbb

I used the same Whirlwind lead for at least 15 years. It got trodden on, mostly by me. If I trod on it I stepped off but more because it was more comfortable to not be standing on it than out of any concern for the lead. The lead never seemed to come to any harm from having the odd trainer stand on it. When it finally gave up the ghost it was one end that developed a fault. Stilettos and chair legs would be a different matter though.and I'd keep them well away.

I don`t mind so much if the guys in the band step on the cables in the performance, but it`s the punters, and other bands getting on the stage when you`re breaking the gear down that does my head in. In this case, I`d expect whoever is stage managing to tell people that unless they are in the band that has just finished to get off stage/out of the way. But they usually don`t. So I usually do. Loudly.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344126852' post='1760267']My POD X3 LIVE is now sporting a deep scar from a 4" stiletto heel too.[/quote]

That'll teach you to play bass wearing them. You've been warned about your dress sense before. I suggest you take it on board ! :lol:

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1344155298' post='1760379']
Cables? All over the place, sometimes 3 deep and I think of them as a carpet. I couldn't care less who treads on them.
[/quote]

You're a guitarist. Aren't you? Go on ... admit it!

I always route the cable from my pedalboard to my amp around the edge of the stage area, and if i'm using a wireless (Perched on top of the amp) i route the cable from that around that way too. I used to wear some quite thin soled shoes so i absolutely hated standing on cables. I need to get my own wireless, and soon.

Liam

One night, after a gig, I was packing my gear while two guys are jamming on stage, gutarist and drummer

can't find my cable so I ask one these guys they say no, not seen that blue cable (though they didn't speak much English)

Then I spotted it -- that guitard was using it!!! So I took it off him and that was the end of their jam.

What the f***???

On the positive side, I was playing with a guitar player who's cable would default and he threw it into the bin! I took it out and fixed it at home in 1/2 minute. Next rehearsal, he said he'd forgotten to buy a new cable -- so I lent him -- his own...