Unrecognised / Forgotten Bass Influences

xilddx

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1343553879' post='1751903']
Love Sting, Stax, Motown and ....

Ewen Vernal
Bobby Paterson
[/quote]

Bobby "Thumbs" Paterson- I used to adore Love and Money

Ewen Vernal too- his bass playing on Cover from the Sky, When will you make my phone ring and I'll never fall in love was spot on. I can still remember them note for note now after all these years.

I used to love Martin Mcaloon too from Prefab Sprout but my favourite and someone who I feel is criminally underrated and a huge influence on me is Pete Trewavas from Marrillion. A wonderful player with fantastic chops.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

+1 for Neil Murray. Saw a Whitesnake gig on VHS with him playing and was overwhelmed.

BUT

It was only after listening to Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous that I actually went out and bought a bass - and Phillo is probably my biggest influence by miles and miles

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1343552792' post='1751890']
Good thread.

I learned Dee Murray's basslines to Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road when it came out. I can still remember all of it some 40 years later.
As a result, Dee Murray's coloured my playing ever since in very subtle ways. Dee, if you ever get to read this, a huge thank you :)
[/quote]

+1 for Dee Murray. The guy is just immense.
My usual mantra when writing basslines is "what would Mike Inez do?" and never made the connection until I saw some clip on the gootube a few weeks back in which Inez stated that Murray was an influence on his playing.

still going strong since the 70's :D

[media]http://youtu.be/A11bAJOOqF8[/media]

also still going strong since the 70's :lol:

[url="http://youtu.be/Rhf5_tqxatc"]http://youtu.be/Rhf5_tqxatc[/url]

especially Kasim as he plays great lines and can sing at same time!!

Edited by steve-bbb

[sup]Not sure who bassist was on Nikita by Elton John but that sound rather than the actual notes played had an influence on me.[/sup]
[sup]I love a nice punchy sharp mid sounding bass for most things.[/sup]
[sup]Although i play in a calssic rock band and it doesn't work - damn !!!![/sup]

[sup]Dave [/sup]

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1343651283' post='1753067']
[sup]Not sure who bassist was on Nikita by Elton John but that sound rather than the actual notes played had an influence on me.[/sup]
[sup]I love a nice punchy sharp mid sounding bass for most things.[/sup]
[sup]Although i play in a calssic rock band and it doesn't work - damn !!!![/sup]

[sup]Dave [/sup]
[/quote]

five different bassists listed on the album credits but doesnt say who did what [url="http://www.allmusic.com/album/ice-on-fire-mw0000190514/credits"]h[/url][url="http://www.allmusic.com/album/ice-on-fire-mw0000190514/credits"]ttp://www.allmusic.com/album/ice-on-fire-mw0000190514/credits [/url]
my guess would be pino or deon estus (maybe the sleeve notes might shed some light?)

Phil Lynott, Chris Squire, and then I'm reminded of Kasim Sulton seeing the reference to him above.

The hours I spent playing Yessongs over & over again to try to cop the lines, that & Foxtrot. All without the luxury of a computer & MP3's, just a cr@ppy Binatone music (cue hollow laugh) centre.

But in my earliest formative years it would have been Alan Lancaster in Piledriver era Quo, Jimmy Lea / Noddy Holder on Slade Alive & possibly even Steve Priest in The Sweet :o

Makes me try to think back to my very limited record collection as a boy teaching himself bass. There must have been loads of others by osmosis, just as a result of taking up bass to join a WMC band at 16/17 & really doing what I have ever since ..... busk it. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1343239439' post='1747633']
Strangely enough, as he`s a guitarist, Steve Jones, as his "root note an octave below" work on Never Mind The Bollocks was what I learned to. So largely, although I like riffing, being in heavy rock and punk bands most of my playing life, this approach has been a big influence.
[/quote]

Yep. I'm with you Lozz. It really works well in the right context. Love Captain Sensible's stuff when he was a 4 stringer too.
Also William Simpson from the Skids and Jon Watson from 999 are [s]ripped off [/s] are unintentional influences too..

• 3 years later...

Mike Mills for the +1 here too. Awesome tone, (and not to go on about everything else he did in REM) just great melody in the basslines - plenty of songs have bass noodling while the Guitar is rhythm and then backing off when the solo comes in.

Second, or is it third: Kenneth as an awesome bass line (pretty much anything on Monster actually). Also Man on the Moon, and Supernatural Superserious.

Good thread revival as was thinking about exactly this in the other threads.

I'd say..in that you can hear quite a bit in my playing, IMO, Andy Fraser, Anthony Jackson..
quite probably Jaco, altho I never listened to him THAT much...I always preferred him away from
Weater Report.

Marcus Miller....altho I listenened to the tracks rather than the bass.... and ditto Mark King.-
was never interested in what they played so much, just ripped a few 'tricks'

Oh...forgot Jerry Barnes... really liking him for slap atm..

Edited by JTUK

Still gotta be Andy Fraser for me. Loved him since long before I ever dreamed of playing bass myself. Now I'd love to play even slightly like that.
Interesting to see the mentions of Dennis Dunaway, above. It was only after I'd started learning bass myself that I heard an Alice Cooper track on the radio and thought 'Blimey, I'd never noticed before how brilliant that bass player is!' Googled him and became a fan! :-)

In their differing registers, and following my personal evolution, I'd like to give credit to Ashley Hutchings, Danny Thompson, Phil Lesh and the great Jack Casady. Most of what (little, it's true... :blush: ) I do stems from having been inspired by these giants.