Why become a member? ×

Is playing rock music good for your hair?

Steve G

Got to pondering this last night. I think of all the bands I liked when I was a teenager (late 80'searly 90's) and most of the rockers have kept their hair! I’m looking at bands like Megadeth, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Faith No More, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Skid Row, Black Sabbath, Guns’n’Roses, Aerosmith etc etc etc. Mostly folk who had long hair and are now 50 or more still have it. Is there a connection with this and playing in a rock/metal band?

No doubt there’s a big list of examples disproving this theory but of the bands I like(d) it seems to hold true. Not so of their loyal fan in this case :sad:

Well I'm now in my 50s having been playing music since I was 13 and I still have all my hair.

Considering that over the years it's been bleached, dyed multiple colours, long, short, long and short in different parts at the same time, shaved back to a #2, lengthened with extensions, subjected to copious quantities of hairspray and other "product", I think it's done pretty well just to be a bit grey now.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1342691125' post='1739262']
Having played in heavy rock bands since 2001, look at my pic[i] :( [/i](though was like this 10 years prior to that)
[/quote]

But had you started before hand, things might have panned out different! :unsure:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1342691988' post='1739292']
Not if you've got a weird shaped head.
[/quote]

Or a mahoosive one like me (8" UK hat size). Need a small amount of hair, #2 grade usually. Have to concentrate on the goatee these days (and keeping the nostril hair in check it seems)

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1342693712' post='1739337']
Or a mahoosive one like me (8" UK hat size). Need a small amount of hair, #2 grade usually. Have to concentrate on the goatee these days (and keeping the nostril hair in check it seems)
[/quote]

yes why is it that when you get to a certain age your body decides that instead of hair on your head where it ought to be, it has to come out of orifices like ears and nostrils instead?

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1342694415' post='1739360']
yes why is it that when you get to a certain age your body decides that instead of hair on your head where it ought to be, it has to come out of orifices like ears and nostrils instead?[/quote]

Time likes to make you look like your head's on upside down.

I'm surprised the wig wearing hasn't come up more - I was a huge Kiss fan as a kid (still am) and Paul & Gene have both had some help. They are far from alone. Alternatively, a lot of ageing rockers shave it all off and this seems to be acceptable too. Overall, who really cares? Springsteen, Tom Petty et al are all rumoured to have had help - live and let live, say I. It's a fact of life that the vast majority of men (increasingly women these days) suffer some form of hairloss as they get older. You go with the cards you've been dealt