Why become a member? ×

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights

Lozz196

Have just been watching Britains Top 60 Number Ones, and this was No 21. Well I`ve loved this song since it came out, so thought would have a listen on youtube to the full song, and was amazed at the bass on it. Some really good playing, which I`ve never really noticed before - must be good speakers connected to my laptop. And the lead guitar outro has long been a fave of mine too. They mentioned that this song never made it in the US, as it would have been considered too weird - their loss, methinks.

The first album (KIck Inside) is very inventive and 'The Man WIth The Child In his Eyes' is always a goose-pimple inducing song for me. My band (which billyapple has seen a couple of times) may be playing at a Kate Bush tribute evening in September (one of our lady singers is a KB devotee) for which we would do some of our stuff and at least one Kate cover. Should be fun, if it comes off

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1342308775' post='1733194']
The first album (KIck Inside) is very inventive and 'The Man WIth The Child In his Eyes' is always a goose-pimple inducing song for me. My band (which billyapple has seen a couple of times) may be playing at a Kate Bush tribute evening in September (one of our lady singers is a KB devotee) for which we would do some of our stuff and at least one Kate cover. Should be fun, if it comes off
[/quote]

Keep me posted on that one Clarky, `bout time I saw your band play - with the added onus of KB material in the evening as well.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1342308775' post='1733194']
The first album (KIck Inside) is very inventive and 'The Man WIth The Child In his Eyes' is always a goose-pimple inducing song for me.
[/quote]
I play that one on regular guitar in order to sing it. Always loved that song, too. I never knew much about Kate Bush until I came over here, but really love her music. When she paired up with Peter Gabriel for "Don't Give Up", it had me all misty-eyed. That's still one of my favourite songs ever.

Not just on that song, or indeed the album, there's some further quality bass work on various tracks done later by the likes of Del Palmer and John Giblin. JG's fretless work on KB's stuff has been mentioned before on here.

Edited by KevB

quality playing on all her albums,superb song writer,had the great fortune to see her on her one and only tour
it was the del palmer,john giblin playing that really got me into fretless
all those years ago,then mr palladino came along and in my opinion,raised the bar even more,
was it not also dave gilmore on guitar,

nice

I think I shall now go and have a listen to the old stuff

It was Ian Bairnson on guitar. David Gilmour introduced Kate to the record company, but didn't play on the album.

I actually played bass with Ian Bairnson a couple if years back. He was back in Edinburgh visiting family with his wife. He played his blue Paul Reed Smith guitar on the gig, and sounded fantastic. Great guy.

• 3 weeks later...

It was Andrew Powell on bass for Wuthering Heights (according to the sleeve notes!).
David Paton played bass on everything else on 'The Kick Inside' apart from Saxophone Song which was Bruce Lynch.

(Sound on Sound has Wuthering Heights in its 'Classic Tracks' series which is an interesting read).

Edited by Romberg Bevel

Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite 70s songs. Haven't had the opportunity to find out the bassline by ear yet - anyone got a link to the dots by any chance, to save me (and anyone else who might be interested) a bit of time?

Clarky, please keep us all posted about your next gig, with or without KB tribute. Hopefully a little closer to west London next time?

I've got The Whole Story on vynl. Probably one of the last records I ever bought. Should really download it but wonder if it has been 'digitally remastered' to sound louder. The beauty of her songs is the air and dynamics they contain.

Anyone else have it on CD/MP3 and have any view?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1343935328' post='1757648']
"Babooshka" and "Army Dreamers" for me. (Both on "Never Forever")
Definitely Giblin on bass for the former.
[/quote]

"Babooshka" is probably my favourite bass part of all time, and also one of the reasons I'm selling my fretless; I could never begin to get close to that level of expressive brilliance on the instrument.