Why become a member? ×

Choosing a Class D head with more than 500W at 4 ohms and no more than £700

Clarky

[quote name='Tankdave' timestamp='1341856749' post='1725243']
GB Shuttle 9 low on power? no way, it's got bucket loads.
[/quote]
I only stated that its nowere near 900W, that can be proven by analizing the power amp section, its the same as the one on the Aguilar Tonehemmer 500 (that is stated as only having 500W! what's the deal here?).

Shuttles do pump a big amount of sound for their size and weight (probably the best ratio when comparing with other manufacturers) but they need to be driven at 4 Ohms with multiple speaker cabs, IME. ;)

Cheers

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1341874069' post='1725638']
I think you've got the list of strong contenders Clarky.

I'd go for the Shuttle 9.2 or the MB800...if you don't mind a little larger, the Streamliner 900.

IMO and IME the latest Genz gear is a massive step up in Class D micro amps.
[/quote]

IMO and IME it's a step up, but there's still daylight between it and an amp with a lump'o'iron in it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1341874159' post='1725639']
IMO and IME it's a step up, but there's still daylight between it and an amp with a lump'o'iron in it.
[/quote]

Sonically, there might be something in it. But, I've been fiddling with my Orange AD200b and comparing it to the Max 9.2 and Streamliner 900. The heft from the micros is VERY impressive. It'll never obviously be as tubey as a proper tube amp, but its close.

I know what you mean though...I just love the fact they are so easy to move! The Orange weighs a lot.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1341874159' post='1725639']
[/quote]

That doesn't make one quantifiably better than the other. Obviously in your opinion class Ds don't sound as good, but that is just an opinion.

I love my MB, I use it at every gig now over my 2001RB (I think that IS a lump'o'iron rather than containing one) just because of the convenience. I've done big-ish outdoor gigs with the Fusion and 1 2x12 cab and it's easily coped.

I've seen some class D heads that have struggled on the power front, but the technology's moving quickly and I think that most cope well now. I certainly never feel like mine's underpowered.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1341874831' post='1725651'] That's why I went for the Walkabout. It's not a monster to lug about. [/quote]

to be honest you've sold the walkabout to me on what you've said about it. I love the amp I have, and have no plans to get another so I doubt I'll ever end up with one but you've sold me on it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1341857125' post='1725252']
[url="http://www.soundindustry.co.uk/acatalog/W-Audio-1300W-1U-Amplifier-Horizon1300-AMP44.html"]http://www.soundindu...1300-AMP44.html[/url] I bought the 1100W version of this to drive a Barefaced Super Twelve. Discreet can tell you about whether or not it has sufficient headroom.[/quote]

It has sufficient* headroom. :shok:
And the S12 is truly astonishing. The more power you give it, the better it sounds. It has no limit.

* By 'sufficient', I mean a shitload.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1341965830' post='1727296']
You've already got the best class d amp in your clarus head.

try a pre amp of your choice into the effects return
[/quote]
Fair point Keith, I may go this route for economic reasons (although I would like a separate rig for my electric and double basses).

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1341905170' post='1725760']
http://www.thomann.de/gb/markbass_little_mark_tube_800.htm

Theres some good prices on Thomann at the moment. Bought mine from them and really getting on well with it.
[/quote]

Slight Derail. Wondered what you had eneded up with Paul. How you finding the focus cabs?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1341992224' post='1727421']
although I would like a separate rig for my electric and double basses [/quote]

Why? The AI into the Acme with a good preamp will give you one very good rig for both leccy and DB. Maybe a different pre for leccy and DB would be all you'd need.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1341995252' post='1727477']
Why? The AI into the Acme with a good preamp will give you one very good rig for both leccy and DB. Maybe a different pre for leccy and DB would be all you'd need.
[/quote]

Yip - I used to double with my AI Focus:

Jazz / Precision > EBS Microbass pre > Focus

URB > K&K pre > Focus

Worked a treat.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1341995252' post='1727477']
[/quote]
OK, think I will give this a try as I do have an sfx Micro Red Dragon DI pedal. The only slight hassle is swapping the AI head out of my AI Ten2 combo each time I move from one to t'other (before anyone asks, the Ten2 cab is not as loud as the Acme despite being a 2x10 and is better suited to DB than EB)

Streamliner 9.

As mentioned before there is a small difference (in heft) between the class d amps and the old skool heavy stuff IMO. My Streamliner sounds massive, my old Trace Hexavalve sounds 'effin massive.

But I'm always gigging the Streamliner, its small, light and does the job brilliantly. But I'm pretty sure its only me that can tell the difference at a gig. :)

Just checking in. I've been really pleased with the GK having done two gigs with it already. I've been suffering back problems again and my usual monster head has had to stay home. It makes for a great back up amp too. Just throw it in a gig bag and bring it shows as a spare. Mainly, in my iGuitar Mag video review, i was really impressed with it's low end punch, something i have found missing, or a lack of in other D Class heads. Annnnnd it's bloomin loud! Noticeably more so than my MarkBass F1 i've just sold, which in itself was no slouch.

My other contender for tone that i have reviewed most recently is the EBS Reidmar. Sounds great, but i'm not sure how it would get on powering the ACME though. EBS believe it can match a 500w in terms of volume output, but i was unable to compare at the time of review. The Acme requiring a little more juice to get it fired up may mean the Reidmar would struggle to be heard.

TC RH750 gets a thumbs up in terms of tonal options and is loud, but I felt i needed some deeper girth from it personally. It seems to favour a highe EQ centre even on the lowest bass setting. I'd love to see a Stacatto 750 in production as i think that might fill the gap that i feel the RH750 could do with being able to cover in tonal options.