Why become a member? ×

One Bass, Amp & Cab

RandomBass

The gig-rig is my Tokai EB3 & Peavey Max 160 head into an Ampeg B115E. No other rig, (& I've fallen to temptation on a regular basis over several years), has, to my ears, delivered the sweet-deep tone that this setup does.

For practice I have a Gretch Junior Jet II & a Roland Cubebass 100.

However, I suspect my relatively simple setups are a reflection my ability. Maybe the more accomplished a player the more he/she can enjoy & exploit a greater variety of equipment. I also suspect that coming to playing & performing late in life, (50's) & then surprising myself at being able to achieve a reasonable level of skill, I now prefer to remain in my comfort zone.

Anyway all my other gear is up for sale at a friends music shop. I have finally run out of gas.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1341435868' post='1719157']
But loads of leads for some reason :unsure:
[/quote]

Me too, mainly because the guitards are always turning up without one, or with one that doesn't work.

• 2 months later...

When I upgrade I'm not very good at selling off the old stuff, so I've usually several basses, amps and cabs lying around.

But, 99% of the time, the only rig I play is the same bass, same amp and same cabs, and I use the same rig with all my bands.

This gets me the best sound (which is what I intended when I upgraded) so why would I swap things around?

• 1 month later...

I have Rig 1,2 and 3 and choose whichever depending on what I expect from the gig.
One of the amps is pretty much relegated to a practice amp now but it is a very capable amp..just a shade outclassed by the other two so they get to
go out and play.
Rig one is the full beans rig, for stages really and good load-ins only, 750-900w.
Rig 2 gets the most outings and is quality( 550w), but I can interchange components to what I want, really

One amp, one cab, three basses.... so pretty close!

Oh, and two small practice combos, but they don't really count as one never leaves the house and the other has taken up residence in our rehearsal room.

I almost meet the criteria! B)

Like others have said, it is what I strive for but haven't yet been able to achieve.

Here is my justification!!!

- 5 String the one which is played the most for rock, pop etc. Going to replace with a 6 string fretted soon..
- 6 String fretless probably used the least but when I do helps my playing no end
- acoustic bass guitar good for folk stuff and I want to get back in to a folk band
- Double Bass used for Jazz mostly and the odd blues gig

- LB30 with LB112 for the tone and quiet gigs
- LittleGiant and Midget-T for the volume (probably going to buy a better PA and sell these on)

Got a pre-amp and IEM for the venues with good PA's, this is actually my ideal scenario, forget amps & cabs.

• 2 weeks later...

I started off like that but went through quite a few basses before I worked out what I liked. Got an Ashdown combo to do it all but somehow couldn't resist the matching extension cab.

I now have one head and cab for gigs plus a practice amp for ny music room and domestic jams. Titchy cab on order should mean I can use essentially the same rig for all situations and lose the practice amp.

But I have 3 basses, and for that reason - I'm out!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='M-Bass-M' timestamp='1353673582' post='1877219']
I'm sort-of there. My main practice / gigging set up is my Status, GB Shuttle 6.0 and Barefaced Compact.

However I do currently have a retro 80's TE rig in development, which currently consists of an MP11 pre- and an AX500 power-amp...
[/quote]
I've gone a bit TE of late. Picked up an '89 AH200 head, fixed the failing output stage and it sounds amazing. Very pleased with it.

Why am I even looking at this thread? To be fair I may be changing my rig shortly so that my practice and gig rig are the same (Phil Jones Cub + PB300 powered cab) but bass wise, er.... not so much (4).

I use 2 basses (MM and Jazz for Active / Passvie Sounds)

One amp and 2 cabs (TC RH / RS), one for pub gigs and both for the bigger gigs. (All fits in my Mondeo without taking out parcel shelf! Mondeo boots are ace! lol)

I use the Ipod/mp3 connection and headphones for home use.

My bro just purchased me one of those little VOX bass home practice amps, just a tiny box that goes into the jack then you plug in headphones and go, great for on the road!

Cheers.

Edited by baseline9

Two out of three isn't bad; I only have one head / cab AND I pretty much just use one bass (I've only got the two anyway) so it's good to be back to where it always used to be. The bit in the middle of my playing history probably has me as one of the worst GAS casualties on this site but I grew out of that 2 or 3 years ago

One combo, one extension cab, and, ahem, four basses. Seems my plan on minimising backfired a bit, but at least they aren`t all the same type of bass this time. 2 regular Precisions, a 51 Reissue Precision, and - assuming the trade comes off on Sat - a Deluxe Active Jazz.