Why become a member? ×

Where Do You Stand and Why?

paulbass

Hi I've been playing bass for a fair few years and a young friend of the family who has taken up bass has join a band and asked why i always stood on the snare side of the drummer. I explained that for me i can communicate with the drummer better and watch what he is doing so we keep a strong groove. However i helped a band out recently as their bassist fell ill and he stood on the opposite side and his band was used to him being in this position and i found it very strange to play on this side! Whats more i found the head of my bass kept clashing with the cymbals!
How many of you guys and gals play on the right or left side of the drummer?

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1341054170' post='1713237']
I stand where ever there's room.
[/quote]
lol to be fair in some bands the bassists do stand where ever there is room! They seem to be treated like a piece of furniture sometimes....thats the impression i got helping this band out! yet no band can play without one ;)

I prefer to set up on the left side of the stage (facing the audience) but it's more to do with the practicalities of wielding a large instrument rather than visual communication with the drummer.

The first two bands I was in didn't have a drummer, but a percussionist and drum machine so it didn't really matter which side of the stage I was on (in fact the second band used to line up on stage with myself, the singer and the percussionist at the front and the guitarist and two synth players behind us). However at one early gig I turned around mid song and whacked the singer in the face with the head of my bass. Ever since then given the choice I have set up so that the headstock faces to the side of the stage rather than into the middle.

With my current band we know the songs so well and I have a good rapport with the drummer so we only need the briefest of glances to establish any visual cues on the newer less rehearsed songs. Besides so long as the stage is big enough to allow it, I don't spend much time in front of my amp.

Interestingly because of the music we play, we find ourselves sharing the stage with a lot of bands using Double Bass. They nearly always set up on the right hand side of the stage.

Yeah I stand on the snare side, this is also next to the guitarist - the stupid keyboard player takes up all of the other side! but it does mean I have a good view of everybody as 'band dad' as we call it. But I tend to creep into the middle in front of the kick drum as I often dance with the singers when they're not singing, and it means I'm less likely to hit the guitarist in the head with my head!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1341055394' post='1713260']
One should always stand on the side that allows you smack your drummer in the face with your headstock without having to turn your back on the audience.
[/quote]
lol.....if only there was a 'LIKE' button!

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1341054572' post='1713247']
I meant to add:

I prefer stage left, so the risk of headstock/cymbal clashing is reduced.
[/quote]

this - and luckily most drummers have snare/hihat to the left too which i find an advantage as they tend to be looking more or less your way more often than not

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1341055394' post='1713260']
One should always stand on the side that allows you smack your drummer in the face with your headstock without having to turn your back on the audience.
[/quote]
Ha bloody ha bloody ha... :angry:

Usually stage right, but depends on the venue (mainly small pubs with inconvenient pillars) as the guitarist is the main vocalist/banterer so the audience needs a good view of him.

It's strange sometimes when we have limited stage depth, to be staring at the left ear of all the audience 'cos they're gawping at the guitarist :)

My preference is to the left side of the drummer, for 4 reasons:

1. Nearer the snare, so easier to keep both an ear and eye on kit
2. Easier to maintain eye contact with drummer
3. No having to be careful re headstock smashing into cymbals
4. Don`t have to watch out for enthusiastic lead-singers bouncing into headstock