Why become a member? ×

Ditching four strings altogether.......

TRBboy

Just wondered if anyone else has been through this, or has an opinion.

I've pretty much always had a mix of 4 and 5 string basses. When I was in my teens, I never got the most out of 5 strings, because I only had one to play "nu-metal". However, in the last year or two I've really got into using a 5 string properly, and making the most of the extra positions, lower register, and general feeling of freedom on the fretboard. I do still kind of feel more at home on a 4 though, I guess partly because of the narrower fretboard and partly because I've mainly played 4's throughout my playing years so far.

I've come to realise that I don't NEED 3 main basses (two of which are identical except colour) and if I sold two of them, I could afford to buy a brand new Sandberg built to my spec. I quite fancy a five string, but I want this to be my main bass, so I would probably want to only play 5's so that I get used to it. I guess the question is; should I sell both of my 4's and just have two 5's, or do I sell one 4 and my current 5, leaving me with a 4 and a 5? I think I'm leaning more toward having two 5's (my current one could be for "rougher" gigs, etc).

As I said before, just wondered if anyone else has had a similar dilemma? Did you make the move to play only 5's and if so, how did you get on?

Apologies for the lengthy and complicated post!

In my case 5 strings make my life easier on some songs, and if I was to make a radical exclusion choice between a 5 and a 4 I would go for a 5 but having said that, except for the rare usage of notes beyond the Low E note there are very very few songs that I play on a 5 wich I couldn't play on a 4, mostly reggae tunes.

I went through a period of loving John Pattituci's music in the Nineties and bought a six string about ten years ago. As has been commented on the neck is WIIIDDDEEE. The one thing I really did not like was the sound of the low B string. I still don't when I hear one played. Sold that bass last year and am focused on 4 strings now. Never needed a fifth. If I went that way it would be tuned E-C.

After 12 years of playing 5s I've gone back to 4s. Somehow they just look and feel right, especially with small hands. There are only about 3 songs that I regularly play that need to go below E and they can be done with a Hipshot

Hmmmm...... I can see the way this is going! It kind of reminds me why I sold my first 5, a Warwick Thumb. I realised in the end that the B string was probably getting in the way more than it was being useful, and shifted it. Perhaps I'm enjoying this 5er more because it's fairly new to me, and it suits me better than any other 5 I've had....

Maybe I should go for a custom spec 4 then, and keep this 5er. I don't use it that much with my rock covers band, but it comes in handy for the gigs I have with the local soul choir. You need that B string for Gospel, right? :D

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1334610484' post='1618634']
So basically, if you guys could only have two basses, you would have a four and a five?
[/quote]

That's me - fretless 4 and a fretted 5. I often think about consolidating/upgrading to just a 5 string fretless, but common sense always seems to get the better of me.

I'm on 5's for the past 12 years and ain't never going back to fours. In fact i find string spacing and narrow neck on fours to get a lot in the way of my playing... :P
My most recent bass upgrade was to trade my 4 string accoustic for a 5er (also accoustic). I'm not all over the B string every time but those occasions where it will come in handy happen very often and it's very good to have it at hand.

This is a mather os personal taste, you need to choose the bass that feels right for you. Whatever you choose i would say to keep both yous basses with equal amount of strings just in case you have to pick up your backup just to find that [b]there's an extra string getting in your way / there's a string missing for playing that song[/b] (choose one).

Cheers

As with almost everyone I started out on a series of 4ers, and since I've made the jump to a 5er I've not really looked back. Exactly a year ago when I got into a new band, I was after a thunderbird (it suited the image etc, I'd always fancied one), so I picked up a 4er nice and cheaply. Whilst I enjoyed it and I actually started to play the old 4ers a bit more that I had knocking about, unused for years, the jump between using the 4er for that band and the 5er for the other, and 5ers most days of the week at home, I shipped it in for the 5 string thunderbird, just so the adjustment between basses wasn't so difficult.

The thing is, when you're trying to master a new song or practice a specific technique over a week or few, doing so at home, then picking up a completely different bass at practice really didn't suit me. Not only did I suck for the first half an hour-hour of practice, but it would scupper me in terms of staying on the ball with my practice. I've never been as giffted as some bassists so maybe other people don't struggle so much as I did.

As a result, I've just about packed in the 4ers. I've still got my first old rubbish Crafter (which I wouldn't sell anyway), my Dean which I'm trying to shift, but beyond that I have a fleet of 4 lovely 5 string basses, all different in their own right (and string spacings). They're different enough to keep me going to each one in different moods or needs, but similar enough that I don't shoot myself in the foot.

I think your idea sounds like a valid one. If I had one key piece of advice, don't make your custom Sandberg so personal that you'd never be able to sell it if you did want to switch back to a 4 after 12 years or however long as some people on here have pointed out, unless of course you are financially lucky enough for that not to be an issue! :)

Five strings for me. I moved from fours and I don't see myself moving back. Why would I? It contains a four string bass and had an extra string of opportunities.

In one song my band does, I use the low C, low D an then the G (ie 8th fret) on the B string.

Whichever you decide, 4s or 5s, have both basses the same. Playing your set, your low B goes on the 5, and the next three songs rely on those low notes, and you`ve only got a 4 string backup. Well it`s not really a backup then, is it, as it can`t do the job.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1334609288' post='1618597']
In my case 5 strings make my life easier on some songs, and if I was to make a radical exclusion choice between a 5 and a 4 I would go for a 5 but having said that, except for the rare usage of notes beyond the Low E note there are very very few songs that I play on a 5 wich I couldn't play on a 4, mostly reggae tunes.
[/quote]

+1 To this.

I have been without a 5 for a couple of months now cos the pickup is being repaired and it's all fine with the 4's getting used to them again has been quite fun actually.... just on the 2 reggae numbers we do something is massively missing....Super, sub, dub... type low end.. :(

Still hopefully the Stingray5 will be fixed soon and then the Dingwall 5 swap can be completed...Yay! :D

[quote name='TommyK' timestamp='1334645371' post='1618914']

Still hopefully the Stingray5 will be fixed soon and then [size=5][b]the Dingwall 5 swap can be completed[/b][/size]...Yay! :D
[/quote]

oh... does that mean you're about to join the "dark side"?

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/bbffd73b.jpg[/IMG]

Like most bassists I started on 4-string basses. However for most of the 80s I found myself playing synths and only using my bass for writing. When in 1990 I got back into playing bass again I bought a 5-string because I wanted access to the low notes that I'd been getting from my synths. I can't remember ever having any trouble "adjusting" to the extra string.

I did play 4-string basses again when I got into playing fretless as it was easier to find a decent 4-string fretless than a 5-string and for a while I was playing all my fretted bass parts on 5-string and all my fretless parts on 4-string. However since I got my Sei 5-string fretless I haven't played any of my 4-strings (fretted or fretless) in any serious situation.

Even if I was never to play on note on the B string again, I can't see myself going back to 4-sting basses. I play guitar as well and for me the transition from a guitar to a 5-string neck feels more comfortable. The instruments I play are all high quality made by Gus, Sei and Overwater and several of them were made specially for me. Having a extra string doesn't matter when I'm not using it but it's there instantly should a piece call for me to need it.

TBH I really ought to sell all my 4-string basses as they get little use these days, and other to replace a couple of them with their 5-string equivalents (the Pedulla Buzz and the Lightwave Sabre A) I don't really have any need for them.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1334618917' post='1618831']
Why would you play a 4 string bass? It's got 1 string missing!!

I only carry 1 bass so, as there's nothing you can play on a 4 that can't be played on a 5, and it doesn’t work the other way around, I only play 5’s.
[/quote]

agree... and I don't see the point in chopping and changing so it is 5's all the way for me.
But you need to be committed and sure and when I got my first 5 I hardly picked up the 4's which made it easy for me to sell them..but then I knew the 5's were for me
before I even got one...and then when I'd put in so much hard work on the switch there was no way back anyway..and nor did I want to go back either.

I exclusively used a 6 for years, but never got rid of my old faithful 4 banger. In my opinion, every bassist should have one in the house. Sometimes even a 5 simply isn't appropriate. I use my 4 string at the moment in the cover band as I go from standard to drop tuning a lot... I find Bb Db Ab Db Gb way too confusing to play in! I use the 5 when I need the B, and the 6 when I need A!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1334662285' post='1619247']
I exclusively used a 6 for years, but never got rid of my old faithful 4 banger. In my opinion, every bassist should have one in the house. Sometimes even a 5 simply isn't appropriate. I use my 4 string at the moment in the cover band as I go from standard to drop tuning a lot... I find Bb Db Ab Db Gb way too confusing to play in! I use the 5 when I need the B, and the 6 when I need A!
[/quote]

What about a capo on the 2nd fret so you'll get Db/Gb/B/E/A? It gives a more natural and instinctive playing than to have to compensate for the detuning on the E string when moving on to the A sting. Using the capo you'll also end up with better string tension and that will reflect on the quality of your sound!
You can always ditch the capo and tune a 5er a hole step up!

Yes, it's true, i don't get along with drop tunnings... ;)

Cheers

My brief foray into the world of five strings came to and end for two main reasons.

1. The various fives I bought were never as good, quality wise, as my fours. As a result I would always keep reverting to the fours.

2. Although I loved the concept of having the extra low notes available, when I used them in my current band they just didn't fit with the band sound. Too low, and therefore too "sonically distant" from the guitars.

Like others have said, I just feel more comfortable on a four. It could be argued, though, that I never really gave fivers a proper chance...