Why become a member? ×

Ditching four strings altogether.......

TRBboy

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1334701720' post='1620142']
The ultimate justificationfor succumbing to GAS:

I need a bass for every tuning I/my band use!

(and at a stretch, a backup for each ;))
[/quote]

I'm the same way, damn metal bands and all their tunings.
But pretty much I hardly use anything under 5-string. I have a 4-string P-bass for that classic sound and a Yamaha which I used for Stuart Hamm covers etc.
But with my 5-strings (All 6-strings / 6-string fretless are for main band) they have set jobs and when I run out of basses for tunings / jobs, I get a new one. X-D
Currently really GASsing over an ESP LTD purely because I don't have anything of that ilk, usually stayed to Ibanez and Yamaha.

Anyway, with the OP dude, just do whatever you want. Even if you don't use the Low-B all the time, it's still there and if not, maybe you prefer neck width?
If someone is watching you play to the point they KNOW you never used all strings and then comment afterwards...What were they trying to achieve?
It's your choice of machine. Some cars people drive can easily do 160MPH...but do they use that power? My point exactly.

You can also use it to keep two tunings in one. Example Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse. The band mainly uses Eb (older) and Bb (newer) tunings.
So when the switch came, he got a 5-string. Now do the math. Bb is Eb tuning with a low-Bb...so come stage etc he never needs to change bass. Less you change less you muscle memory needs to re-adjust.

End point: Play whatever you want. If you wish to use 5-string exclusively, they why should you have to answer to the "purists" (Elitists) that scorn you for not using 4-string? It's silly for someone to judge such a thing. Don't feel guilty, do what makes you comfortable. :-)
Buy a 9-string and use only 3...who cares? :-P

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1340400400' post='1704186']
If you spot some bass nerd watching you just chuck a few 5ths in on the B string and any songs that end on the A string B or higher chuck the low octave in at the end! ;) :lol:
[/quote]

Oh, I didn't realise you'd seen me play before! :lol:

I am genuinely finding it useful though, and it's great not to have to change bass/detune for the one song we do in dropped D (killing in the name of)!

Edited by TRBboy