Why become a member? ×

Bonham

thumbo

When groove was being dealt out to drummers, Bonham got greedy.

Out take from Fool In The Rain:
http://www.saladrecords.com/BonhamFile22.mp3

Just a heads up - it starts with him shouting the F-bomb so perhaps NSFW or NSFKE (Not suitable for kids ears).

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1334229604' post='1612820']
A drummer I used to play for is a massive Bonham fan. Totally understandable!
Dan
[/quote]A drummer I used to play with hated Bonham, but idolised Neil Peart to the point of having the stupidly big red kit, signature sticks, etc. To cut a long story short, I didn't play with him for long.

When you meet a drummer and if they say they like Bonham and/or Tony Thompson. you're usually onto a good thing.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1334229818' post='1612823']
A drummer I used to play with hated Bonham, but idolised Neil Peart to the point of having the stupidly big red kit, signature sticks, etc. To cut a long story short, I didn't play with him for long.

When you meet a drummer and if they say they like Bonham and/or Tony Thompson. you're usually onto a good thing.
[/quote]
Yep, I'd go with that! He also liked to play the groove from Aaron Spears playing 'Caught Up'. It's the video of him doing it at a drum clinic or something, either way it's some stunning groove playing!
[url="http://youtu.be/TNJMI7UMv44"]http://youtu.be/TNJMI7UMv44[/url]

Dan

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1334229818' post='1612823']When you meet a drummer and if they say they like Bonham and/or Tony Thompson. you're usually onto a good thing.[/quote]

And when you hear a guitarist saying "I'm a huge Malsteem fan" its time to boot him up the 'arris and get the hell out of the gaff.

This is completely subjective on my part, but there's something about the best drum grooves where the hi hats or ride stay fairly constant but the bass drum and snare do the main work. Whereas the problem with the big flash style of drumming is that it breaks the groove up completely while the drummer goes round the entire kit showing off his technique.

A drummer I used to play with hated Bonham, but idolised Neil Peart to the point of having the stupidly big red kit, signature sticks, etc. To cut a long story short, I didn't play with him for long.

[/quote]

I think you're bang on the money there.

The groove on Fool In the Rain is great, it's just such a tremendous shame that the tune is total pap! At least, it's definitely not 'Zeppelin'.

[/quote]
I think that virtually every good drummer that I have played with is a massive Bonham fan! Indeed, I understand that Tony Thompsonwas a massive fan....

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1334232089' post='1612903']
And when you hear a guitarist saying "I'm a huge Malsteem fan" its time to boot him up the 'arris and get the hell out of the gaff.
[/quote]
Nothing wrong with a guitarist being a Malmsteen fan - if you listen to him, Yngwie is a breathtaking player and actually very musical....

It's when the guitar player wants to start copying his songwriting or attitude that you need to worry!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1334311119' post='1614157']
Nothing wrong with a guitarist being a Malmsteen fan - if you listen to him, Yngwie is a breathtaking player and actually very musical....
[/quote]

If you like Bach compositions played too fast; the Liverpool Phil does the same thing...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1334311553' post='1614174']
If you like Bach compositions played too fast; the Liverpool Phil does the same thing...
[/quote]
I think that a lot of people can't get past the fact that he is a complete prat and that his songs are awful...!

However, his playing is undoubtedly awesome!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1334311698' post='1614179']
I think that a lot of people can't get past the fact that he is a complete prat and that his songs are awful...!

However, his playing is undoubtedly awesome!
[/quote]

A technically superb player undoubtedly. But I think the words, feel, soul, lack of and an uncanny knack to cultivate an ego the size of an aircraft hanger just doesn't make me warm to him one tiny iota.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1334311872' post='1614185']
A technically superb player undoubtedly. But I think the words, feel, soul, lack of and an uncanny knack to cultivate an ego the size of an aircraft hanger just doesn't make me warm to him one tiny iota.
[/quote]
As much as I can appreciate his guitar playing, I don't think that his albums are any good and I certainly wouldn't want to go out for a beer with him.....

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1334312572' post='1614206']
OK I'll stand on this side of the room, alone!! I would hate to play with a John Bonham type drummer. He does nothing for me.
[/quote]
Not entirely alone... While 'hate' is definitely going too far for me (well not that far, now that I think of it...), I quite clearly remember leaving Zep festival appearances before the end, glad to have seen Fairport Convention. Bonham has his style, and is good in that style (most of the time...), but I find it mainly more akin to a lumber-jack than my tastes yearn for. My 'heroes'..? Joe Morello, for one, Dave Mattocks (see above...), Spencer Dryden (Jefferson Airplane...). Many others, of course, and I wouldn't say that Bonham couldn't drum, just that his performances didn't inspire me that much. I rarely listen to Zep, and never to 'lift' a drum lick.
To each his own, of course...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1334316211' post='1614325']

My 'heroes'..? Joe Morello, for one, Dave Mattocks (see above...), Spencer Dryden (Jefferson Airplane...). [/quote]

I do love Bonham's playing, but I equally admire Mattocks. One of my favourite drummers and doesn't get anywhere near the atention he deserves.
Incidentally there's a clip on Youtube of FC miming on the Whistle Test - Dave obviously takes umbrage to this and lets his feelings clearly be known :)

Poor oul Neil is getting a rough ride, I actually like his playing a lot, he's nowhere near as busy as a lot of those he influenced. The guy's got good musical sense and knows when to take it easy. My point was more that a lot of drummers who worship him tend to overlook his overall musicality and focus on doing huge rolls and trying to be more clever than they actually are. Neil's ok though.

As for Yngwie, I can't listen to his albums but I went to see him play and was thoroughly entertained for 90 minutes. The guy knows how to put on a show, that much is for sure :D