Why become a member? ×

Band Names - Something To Think About

WHUFC BASS

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1334221872' post='1612618']
I heard about that yesterday.
I can understand wanting them to change/stop using the name but wanting a share of the band's profits is just silly. Why do they think they're entitled to a single penny?
[/quote]

Because they're American, and this is the new spirit of entrepreneurship for those Americans of limited talent and actual ability.

However, given that their legal system operates on the basis of [i]he who has the deepest pocket wins[/i], by tying things up in litigation until one party cannot afford to continue, I don't see them beating Syco and Sony music - who will no doubt point out that, whilst they were using the name from 2009, they did not trademark it until 2011; the year after One Direction appeared on the X Factor.

They won't win; they can't win. This is all publicity and an appeal for an out-of-court settlement, as is usually the way such things go.

Interesting. I think the fact that Cowell and Sony were aware of the use of the name and used it anyway won't work in their favour. I dislike the "We want that, you won't let us have it so we'll take it anyway" attitude and hopefully, given how hard Sony and the rest of the biz want the hammer to fall on people with this attitude to downloading music, the justice system will apply the protection of intellectual rights as vigorously as the biz wants it applied in every other circumstance - not just when it suits them.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1334223319' post='1612659']
Interesting. I think the fact that Cowell and Sony were aware of the use of the name and used it anyway won't work in their favour. I dislike the "We want that, you won't let us have it so we'll take it anyway" attitude and hopefully, given how hard Sony and the rest of the biz want the hammer to fall on people with this attitude to downloading music, the justice system will apply the protection of intellectual rights as vigorously as the biz wants it applied in every other circumstance - not just when it suits them.
[/quote]

They (Cowell etc) tried the same trick with that music charity - Rhythmix.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1334224592' post='1612692']
They should change the name to "Wand Erection", thereby keeping the same name phonetically, avoiding getting sued, and broadening their appeal to the horny adolescent fantasy geek demographic.
[/quote]

Brilliant!

Just watched that grade A plonker Max Clifford discussing this on TV. I'm paraphrasing here but something along the lines of 'this US band only have 500 twitter followers, One Direction have much more than that therefore what right has this other band got to the name' :rolleyes:

I'd have more sympathy if the other band in question weren't also a boyband. Being mistaken for One Direction could be pretty annoying if you were trying to do anything other than vomit inducing pop for pre-teen girls.

Edited by Ruiner

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1334221706' post='1612615']
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17673948

Be interesting to see how U.S. and U.K. copyright laws work in this instance. I think that the damages being sought by the yanks are optimistic to say the least.
[/quote]
They always are, it's just a shot across the bows to encourage negotiation and early settlement rather than actual court time

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1334226293' post='1612728']
At least they aren't called 'The Rickenbackers' cos then they'd REALLY be in trouble!
[/quote]

But only if one of them had a head shaped like the end of a Ric bass.

With tuners for ears.

Jez