Why become a member? ×

Hated musical phrases...

pietruszka

Could be interesting to find / create a multi-lingual glossary, for those interested in Vienna...

B is called H in German, and Bflat is called B.

Semibreve - "ganze Note"
minim - "halbe Note"
crotchet - "viertelnote"
quaver - "achtelnote"
16th - "sechzehntelnote"

chorus - Refrain
verse - Strophe

bar - Takt

though Takt means a couple of things:

http://www.dict.cc/?s=takt

quieter - leiser
louder - lauter

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1333971254' post='1608844']
Could be interesting to find / create a multi-lingual glossary, for those interested in Vienna...

B is called H in German, and Bflat is called B.

Semibreve - "ganze Note"
minim - "halbe Note"
crotchet - "viertelnote"
quaver - "achtelnote"
16th - "sechzehntelnote"

chorus - Refrain
verse - Strophe

bar - Takt

though Takt means a couple of things:

[url="http://www.dict.cc/?s=takt"]http://www.dict.cc/?s=takt[/url]

quieter - leiser
louder - lauter
[/quote]

There is something of the kind already. Extremely fascinating for those of us who have studied music in more than one language.

[url="http://www.dolmetsch.com/defsb.htm"]http://www.dolmetsch.com/defsb.htm[/url]

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1333972371' post='1608872']
Also, the awful diminishment of prefixing the name of the instrument with 'the', usually said by non-musicians. For example 'Ah! So you play the piano!'
[/quote]

You might want to meet my annoying neighbour, who points to our baby grand and always comments bang on cue......
'What about banging out something on THE big Organ of yours'
He laughs his stupid ugly head off, and his lovely charming wife dies of embarrassment.

Garry

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1333968492' post='1608797']

Actually I'm the opposite - I find it a bit prentious when people use crotchets, semibreves and quavers.At least when you talk about 8 ths ,16ths etc it means something. Crotchets etc just make you sound like you;ve studied in some classical conservatory in Vienna :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

I learned it when I started playing in a brass band, aged 10, so it's not as sophisticated as you might think (and nor am I for that matter!). Eighths and things just annoy me because I've always used the proper terms.

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1333991715' post='1609315']
Calling songs 'numbers'. It upsets me way more than it should and I don't know why!
[/quote]

Oops, guilty. I also call them 'tracks'. :blush: But then I can't stand to call them 'tunes' or indeed 'songs' really, even though they usually are... maybe it's a regional thing?

Edited by discreet

I think I speak for us all when I say as a bassist I hate hearing "failed/wannabe guitarist" etc etc. Most. Annoying. Thing. Ever!

The guys in my college band actually wrote in their coursework that I should be a guitarist because I play so many fills and licks. WTF??

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1333973972' post='1608911']
You might want to meet my annoying neighbour, who points to our baby grand and always comments bang on cue......
'What about banging out something on THE big Organ of yours'
He laughs his stupid ugly head off, and his lovely charming wife dies of embarrassment.

Garry
[/quote]

Maybe if you did bash one out on your BIG ORGAN he wouldn't ask again...

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1333995031' post='1609385']
Maybe if you did bash one out on your BIG ORGAN he wouldn't ask again...
[/quote]

But of course that might be the cue for his wife to start asking...
'Are you going to bash one out on your BIG ORGAN - again...? please '

Garry

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1333928979' post='1608473']
I hate people that call songs "numbers" like for example... "they played Stray Cats numbers..." I mean wtf?
[/quote]

Comes from days gone by.
IE - On the Titanic gig, the band had to learn around 300 songs.
The songs were listed and numbered in a pamphlet given to the passengers.
The band played in various rooms around the ship all day long.
Passengers would choose a song from the pamphlet, walk up and shout out the number to the Band leader,
who shouted the 'Number' to the band.
True that....................

Although Joe public and TV presenters would not have a fecking clue were it came from.
Very much like me - who has just heard it on a TV programme about the 'Titanic' Musicians playing on board ship, :lol:

Garry

Reminds me of this old joke...
An aging comedian decides to retire to a community that has just other ex-comedians living in it. On his first day there, he goes down to lunch, and there's a bunch of retired fellow comics sitting around the table.
The conversation they're having puzzles the man a bit. One of comics at the table yells out, "12..!" and everybody just dies laughing. Then another one calls, "44..!" and a three of them laugh so hard they roll straight out of their chairs and onto the floor.
When a lull in the conversation comes, the new guy introduces himself, and asks, "Hey, what's going on? What's so funny about yelling out numbers?"
One of the comics explains, "Oh, you're the new kid on the block, eh? Here's the score. We've all been retired for many years. We've been telling and re-telling the same old jokes for so long, we've assigned them all numbers. To save time, instead of telling the joke again, we just use the number!"
"Wow," says the new guy. "I've never seen that before. That's pretty cool. Mind if I join you?"
"Sure," the other comic says, and beckons him to sit down.
The new guy is eager to fit in. So five minutes later, he yells out, "28..!" [i]NOBODY[/i] laughs -- you could've heard a pin drop.
His voice quavering, the new guy asks, "What's wrong? Isn't number 28 a good joke too?"
"Sure it is," pipes in the other comic. "But it's the way you tell it..."

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1333903282' post='1608003']
We've had that conversation recently. That might have been Leo's intention (point taken from whoever made it so eloquently), but no it isn't, not any more. Its function in a band is nothing to to with that of a guitar, and physically you can't play it like one. It's an electric bass so get used to it!
[/quote]

Correct! Not a member of the guitar family, so there, Anthony Jackson!
Fender VI, six strings, EADGBE, explicitly says 'Bass Guitar' on the4 headstock. On a Jazz Bass, it states 'Electric Bass'.
However, there was always going to be debate about this, mainly due to what had to be written in satisfying the patent lawyers...

My pet hate? Pedants like me!
:D

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1333903282' post='1608003']
We've had that conversation recently. That might have been Leo's intention (point taken from whoever made it so eloquently), but no it isn't, not any more. Its function in a band is nothing to to with that of a guitar, and physically you can't play it like one. It's an electric bass so get used to it!
[/quote]
In fact we've had that conversation several times and it's still a bass guitar so get used to it.