Why become a member? ×

Hated musical phrases...

pietruszka

Ahem... "Kik" drum. :D less ink, innit?
Never used chops for anything other than a nice meal.
Never been in or out of the pocket.

I don`t think I care too much what people with instruments* say. It`s what they do that gets me.
We all do it I suppose, it`s the musical equivalent of wandering thoughts, but when a song ends and someone immediately starts twiddling some nonsense totally unrelated to the tune under scrutiny,well...It`s obvious you don`t have their full attention.
I just want to set them on fire and beat it out with a golf shoe.
My anger management therapist says that`s all perfectly normal.

*as opposed to musicians

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1333962198' post='1608662']
TAKE IT TO THE BRIDGE HUUHHH

only JB gets away with that one
[/quote]

I prefer that kind of direction to the 'i can't communicate what I want to say musically' approach. For example;

'let's play that bit near the end again before and that other bit... You know, the bit that's not the chorusy bit or the other bit... I don't know what the notes/chords are for that bit, I just learnt the tab!'

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1333961723' post='1608653']
Ahem... "Kik" drum. :D less ink, innit?
[/quote]

Yeh, that's the rite spellin, its from the 'Murican coz they fink it's kicked.
Us Brits tend to push down on a pedal which levers a beater or hit it with a stick to get the big drum to go bump, don't we?
Does this prove that British drummers are brighter than 'Murican drummers?
Just a thought - hoody up, slinks out quietly.

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1333891761' post='1607789']
Bass drum instead of kick. A small thing but can be so confusing in the studio if your drummer is lazy with his vocabulary and just says 'bass'.

'Shred'
[/quote]

Best tell the drum manufacturers their terminology is incorrect then

[b] Bass Drum Spur Bracket(Starclassic Maple)[/b]

TAMA's MSB30 die-cast bracket holds the spur bracket securely, thanks to the same powerful hinge mechanism used on the MTB30 mounting bracket.Unique memory markers found on the folding spur bracket help simplify set up

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1333903282' post='1608003']
We've had that conversation recently. That might have been Leo's intention (point taken from whoever made it so eloquently), but no it isn't, not any more. Its function in a band is nothing to to with that of a guitar, and physically you can't play it like one. It's an electric bass so get used to it!
[/quote]

It's a bass what? What family of instruments is it from, it's the bass of the guitar family, and thusly you can play it like a guitar as it is one, as you can play anything however you want, or at least that's whats been said for years :lol:

"Its function in a band is nothing to to with that of a guitar, and physically you can't play it like one." Surely that's down to the individual, the type of music, the musicians etc etc so is hard to label?

Maybe my [s]analness [/s]view stems from my musical background, I play the Bass Trombone, I sing Bass in a choir, I played Bass Clarinet, and always refer to the family of instrument, at least contextually, If I were to refer to any as just "bass" i'd probably confuse myself haha!

I know that sounded really aggresive and prickish but that wasn't my intent! We all have different views and that's good or the world would be too boring!

Music is a free world so I guess it's a matter of "Lets call the whole thing off"

Again no intention of seeming aggresive or attacking, but my skills with words are limited

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1333929137' post='1608475']
What the hell does "In the pocket" mean anyway? I know what people mean when they say it, but I don't see the relevance.
[/quote]

It's a reference to "The pocket" in Amercian Football which is the area the QB is meant to be in (or something along those lines)

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1333965765' post='1608723']

[b] Bass Drum Spur Bracket(Starclassic Maple)[/b]

TAMA's MSB30 die-cast bracket holds the spur bracket securely, thanks to the same powerful hinge mechanism used on the MTB30 mounting bracket.Unique memory markers found on the folding spur bracket help simplify set up
[/quote]

I'm not saying people who say 'bass drum' are [i]wrong[/i] or [i]right[/i], I'm simply saying that the phrase 'bass drum' irritates me.. It doesn't HAVE to make sense yanno :P

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1333965765' post='1608723']
[/quote]

:lol:

I've heard them called 'bass drums' for a lot longer than I've heard them called 'kick drums'.
Pearl, Premier, Yamaha and Tama [b]all[/b] describe them as bass drums.

I suspect that 'kick drum' was instigated by a non-musician who had no understanding of how 'that particular drum' makes a noise and 'pedal drum' might have been far more appropriate. :D

It annoys me when people refer to "fourths, wholes, eights" etc instead of crotchets, semibreves and quavers. It's not rocket science people!

Also the common misconception that he/she can play slap/fretless/tap/pointless fretw***ery - he/she is amazing!

"Why don't you play with your fingers?"

- Because I'm saving those for your mum! D:<

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1333967969' post='1608780']
...when people refer to "fourths, wholes, eights" etc instead of crotchets, semibreves and quavers. It's not rocket science people!
[/quote]

Eh?? What the hell are you talking about?? :lol: ;)

Edited by discreet

It annoys me when people refer to "fourths, wholes, eights" etc instead of crotchets, semibreves and quavers. It's not rocket science people!
[/quote]

Actually I'm the opposite - I find it a bit prentious when people use crotchets, semibreves and quavers.At least when you talk about 8 ths ,16ths etc it means something. Crotchets etc just make you sound like you;ve studied in some classical conservatory in Vienna :lol: :lol:

Also the common misconception that he/she can play slap/fretless/tap/pointless fretw***ery - he/she is amazing!

[/quote]
Yep, another one I use! Sorry! And yes, people who think you're mint because you can a million miles an hour. Also i particularly don't like "can you play like Flea?". The answer is generally not any more as I don't live at my mums and have some vague musical knowledge at least.

Dan

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1333962667' post='1608666']
I prefer that kind of direction to the 'i can't communicate what I want to say musically' approach. For example;

'let's play that bit near the end again before and that other bit... You know, the bit that's not the chorusy bit or the other bit... I don't know what the notes/chords are for that bit, I just learnt the tab!'
[/quote]

This - I really hate this and always turn off half way through the conversation with the inevitable conclusion that I play the wrong bit :lol:

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1333968492' post='1608797']
Actually I'm the opposite - I find it a bit prentious when people use crotchets, semibreves and quavers.At least when you talk about 8 ths ,16ths etc it means something. Crotchets etc just make you sound like you;ve studied in some classical conservatory in Vienna :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1333968492' post='1608797']
[/quote]

It's just the way it's done in Europe,

I've always found saying things like "64th notes" and "128ths" and a personal hate of mine is "decrescendo"

Though things like "8ths" don't always make sense depending on how obscure/modern the music is :lol:

Plus, adding numbers to music, gets me confused like that theory lark ;)

However studing at the Vienna conservatoire would be a dream come true for me were I talented enough, so I guess it proves your point haha!

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1333969063' post='1608810']
When depping in covers bands: "we play our own version". Translates as can't play/haven't learned the song properly
[/quote]

Yes! or, 'our own interpretation'... inevitably v. poor and gets 'nul points'. :lol:

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1333968904' post='1608806']
It's just the way it's done in Europe...
[/quote]
In France (they kiss on Main Street... Oh, sorry; I got side-tracked. I'll start again...)

In France it's a case of blanche, noire, croche, double-croche, triple-croche for the timing. I think (although I'm not sure...) that minims and quavers are an old left-over used mostly in Britain. Nothing wrong with them, but there are many ways to skin a cat...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333969358' post='1608813']
Yes! or, 'our own interpretation'... inevitably v. poor and gets 'nul points'. :lol:
[/quote]

worse than that ( from a classc rock covers band ) - ' We do a reaggae version of that and it sounds really good "
NO IT DOESNT !!!!!!

Edited by thunderbird13