Why become a member? ×

What is the quietest micro head? Fan noise specifically.

Owen

The tecamp puma one spins a bit when it comes on and then stops. My guess is that it comes on again if it gets hot enough, I've not noticed it on ever... I guess if you were pushing it that hard then you wouldn't notice the fan noise?

I've compared the TC Electronics Classic 450 (which I just happen to be selling in the For Sale section :)) with the Ashdown MiBass. The TC is very quiet. You really can't tell that the fan is on. The MIBass is noisy. Even if you are sensitive to fan noise - as I am - you will be fine with the TC.

Edited by stevie

My Markbass F1 seems pretty good, though I've heard reports of them developing clicks.

With a lot of amps, as much as quality it's going to come down to age/usage since the bearings will unavoidably wear over time, if I had a noisy fan I'd probably look for a replacement part, preferably spend a bit more on one using nice bearings - still shouldn't be too pricey

[quote name='DirkThrust' timestamp='1332840664' post='1593689']
The iamp 900 I owned had no fan at all. EA claimed the circuitry ran cool so it didn't need one. It's not exactly a micro amp but I wonder if the same principle extends to the current EA range.
[/quote]

the EA Doubler (and micro I presume) has a fan, but it's so quiet you wouldn't know it was there.

My EA Micro has a fan, not very noisy but you can hear it on a very quiet gig. Not a problem, but what puzzles me is why its there at all. I've pushed the amp on a few occasions and it never gets even the slightest bit warm..yet alone hot?

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1332852956' post='1593942']
My EA Micro has a fan, not very noisy but you can hear it on a very quiet gig. Not a problem, but what puzzles me is why its there at all. I've pushed the amp on a few occasions and it never gets even the slightest bit warm..yet alone hot?
[/quote]

Sounds like the fan is doing a good job ;-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1332853328' post='1593950']
Sounds like the fan is doing a good job ;-)
[/quote]

You're probably right. I'm just used to my SWR stuff, which gradually works its way from cold up to red hot and then prompts the horribly noisy industrial grade fan into action for twenty mins....even if you don't play a note.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' timestamp='1332854749' post='1593972']
Am I allowed to mention my fan-less Superfly? :ph34r:

It's [i][b]VERY[/b][/i] quiet!! :D
[/quote]

I played a gig once where backline was provided and it was one of these.... they get flipping hot don't they?