Why become a member? ×

You have £100 to buy a single pedal...

stoatsbrother

... or thats about how much I want to spend on buying a pedal for my son for his 16th birthday...

He plays a Peavey Cirrus 4 string (not the US version) or my Ibanez BTB 5 string through a Basscube 30 or an Ashdown combo. Indie rock sometimes in two bands, jazz/funk in another band, and sometimes other stuff...

For his 6 string he uses a Boss ME-50, and he has a loop station RC3

What dedicated bass pedals would you recommend as a start down the road of excessive on stage wiring? ;)

Or should bass players stand at the back, not move, and play cleanly and discretely....

This [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170617-3-leaf-groove-regulator-mk1-further-price-drop-l85-posted/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170617-3-leaf-groove-regulator-mk1-further-price-drop-l85-posted/[/url] .

The GR is an awesome envelope filter. IME it's one of the things that digital units aren't too good at. Distortion/overdrive always sounds better when coming from a dedicated outboard pedal too.

Without doubt I'd go for a good envelope filter. I've been buying lots of effects lately and the envelope filter is the one I'm having the most fun with (I ended up with an EHX Qtron, the big one - £50 off ebay).

Octave pedals are good, but I know at 16 I wouldn't have enjoyed one as it involves too much modification of my technique - have to play cleaner and not use chords.

Another option would be something like the soundblox multiwave bass distortion. Distortion and fuzz galore and some of the more wacky settings sound very synthy which could be useful for his funk band.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

get a blender loop for the ME-50 so he can use it with his bass. If you can get one with a feedback control on it too that would create hours of fun from his existing kit. Barge Concepts do them but last time I looked it seemed they'd closed?! I do have a spare one if you're interested. £50 for a blend/feedback loop, then £50 on a nice dirt pedal - sweet!

A used EBS Multidrive for outstanding OD and dirt noises. Or save up aother £30 and spring for a Rothwell Love Squeeze (prob need to buy new as people who buy these don't sell them). I guarantee he will never need another compressor.

[quote name='stoatsbrother' timestamp='1332488530' post='1588926']

What dedicated bass pedals would you recommend as a start down the road of excessive on stage wiring? ;)

Or should bass players stand at the back, not move, and play cleanly and discretely....
[/quote]

Not sure about your 'either/or'. I've never stood at the back and I never will - Nobody ever forgets seeing me - BUT ...never used a pedal in my life. One more thing to trip over , one more thing to go wrong , one more thing to blame when you don't play well.

I expect your son already has a tuner of some kind. He may well have compression or overdrive facilities on his amp already. Compression can be a useful thing , especially with playing styles like slap , so a good gift choice would be compression.

2nd choice is.......... give him the hundred quid to go see loads of gigging players in action. He'll learn a lot more than he will from a silly pedal.

Further down the list of things to do/have to be a better player - maybe about 200th - would be a decent chorus pedal.

Second hand Roland GP-8.

Eight of your favourite Boss pedals (Dynamic Filter, Compressor, Overdrive, Distortion, Phaser, EQ, Delay and Chorus/Flanger) in a programmable 1U rack. All digitally controlled analogue except the delay and chorus/flanger which are all digital so you get the best of both worlds.

If you shop around you might even be able to get either a MIDI pedal board or the dedicated Roland FC100 Mk2 foot controller as well and still not go over £100.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1332523872' post='1589647']
That's half the fun. Pedal-scrooge! ;)
[/quote] haha got me there! I would love an armoury of pedals but i just know they would never get used. Most of the time it wouldnt make a difference to what im playing anyway. But if i did have the money to burn on a pedal, i would choose an Oxide Iron Ether fuzz pedal as you can never have enough filth.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1332524166' post='1589656']
haha got me there! I would love an armoury of pedals but i just know they would never get used. Most of the time it wouldnt make a difference to what im playing anyway. But if i did have the money to burn on a pedal, i would choose an Oxide Iron Ether fuzz pedal as you can never have enough filth.
[/quote]
Iron Ether are boss. +1

Bit more than 100 squid, however.

"Obvious but true" problem with dedicated effects is that by their nature each one covers only a narrow range so any given one is unlikely to hit the spot.

Why not a multifex? Zoom B3 is about £100 (rounded to the nearest £100 :) )

a couple of fairly flexible general-purpose distortion pedals are the Hartke bass attack (not very cool though) and the Tech 21 VT bass (100 ish s/h)

• 2 weeks later...