Why become a member? ×

Basses that you've never wanted to own.

Marvin

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1332021925' post='1582342']
Headless basses. Just look ugly to me and the tuners behind the bridge look like a drunk (or someone 'avin a larf) designed the whole thing
[/quote]

Now strangely, despite being a real picky git, I don't find them particularly offensive to look at (with the exception of the cricket bats) but the problem I had with them was that I sometimes rely on 'bouncing' my hand off of the headstock and had a tendency to just fall off the end unless I concentrated.

1) Fender Jazz and its derivatives - insane controls (two volume knobs, what's that all about?), neck is too narrow, pickups are noisy in all but the dead-ahead position.

2) Rics - looks ridiculous.

3) Gibson Thunderbird et al - as above.

4) Singlecut basses - even "looks ridiculous" doesn't go far enough for these aberrations :lol:

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1332086225' post='1582958']
1) Fender Jazz and its derivatives - insane controls (two volume knobs, what's that all about?), neck is too narrow, pickups are noisy in all but the dead-ahead position.

2) Rics - looks ridiculous.

3) Gibson Thunderbird et al - as above.

4) Singlecut basses - even "looks ridiculous" doesn't go far enough for these aberrations :lol:
[/quote]
And what did you say you thouhgt of Bongos?

Has to be a P or a J for me.

I have had others but always gone back. No interest in Ricks or MMs or any of the usual. I do still have a Bacc Collection that I bought 20 years ago, light & nice to play etc, but I wouldnt gig it and not crazy about the sound,its just a bit too clean and 80s ish for me.

Ricks, Yamaha BB basses, pointy Jackson things, Gibson mudbucker jobs. Violin basses, any retro 'muddy plonk' type basses.
Sadowsky jazz basses. The shape looks wrong.
None of them has ever ever appealed to me.
Then again I'm sure my striped blue jazz with LED's doesn't appeal to all heh heh.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1332035431' post='1582476']
I've never wanted a P, but I did have a Tanglewood fretless P in the early '90s that was a pretty nice bass, the neck was nothing like a Precision it was really slim and nice. These days I do quite like the idea of a Sandberg PM5, but that's the only P I want. And I'd ask for a J neck on it.

I've never wanted a Status because they are for 45 year old men with beer guts who saw Mark King play one. Consequently they must be the most-LED-fingerboarded basses ever made. Sorry to whoever here has a fingerboard festooned with LEDs but seriously what the f*** were you thinking? Do you just LOVE christmas?

But I would consider a Status aftermarket neck on a nicer bass. If they weren't so expensive.
[/quote]

I'm 41.

Not all status basses have LED's...neither of mine have. Mark King has never been seen playing the model I use.

But I do have a beer gut.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1332101304' post='1583354']
Hofner Violuin basses...ugh
Kramer Puke..I love headless basses but my friend's one felt horrible. Ow my hands!
Hate the 'sting' Teles .. but love my mudthumper.

Not keen on most sunburst basses
[/quote]

I've never heard of the Kramer Puke . . . but now I want one!

I can't remember a time when I ever wanted a Fender style bass. Perhaps in the early days when I first started playing and knew nothing, I might have had one (most likely a Jap-crap copy) if there been something available at a suitably cheap price. However I can remember being more impressed with the looks of Gibson Thunderbirds and Ric 4001s on TOTP and TOGWT.

When I finally got the money together to buy my first bass guitar I was lucky enough to find something more individualistic - a Burns Sonic which shaped my bass playing style in a way that a Fender or one of its clones could never accommodate. My next main bass was an Overwater Original and that pretty much put the final nail in the coffin of being able to make use of a Fender.

I've never played an LTD bass i didn't absolutely hate, something about the string spacing and the action just feels horrific to me.

I never liked Yamaha BB series until i bought one. They're lovely to own because playing it distracts you from how fugly the body shape is!

Stingrays turn me off. I don't like them aesthetically, although I assumed they'd be wonderful to play given their reputation, but when I got to play one a while ago I was shocked at how fat and unplayable the neck was. Dunno if different years have different dimensions or what but this one was like playing a tree.

Never liked gibson basses, they look bad and sound worse. Same for Hofner IMO.

Most boutique/coffee table basses irk me too, they seem to be produced for a demographic with more money than talent. Having said that, one of the best live bass tones I've ever heard was a fancy Overwater worth several thousand.

Give me a fender any day. Japanese made ones are some of my favorite basses I've played. They're like well designed tools, simple, but high quality, sturdy, durable. I feel like you really get out what you put into them. I try to avoid active electronics too, I prefer to have as little between my fingers and my speaker cab as possible. Even when I use effects I always use a line splitter to run a totally clean signal parallel to the wet signal.

Okay then, here we go.

Rickenbackers - awful
Fenders - awful with the notable exception of the Stu Hamm basses
Front mounted LED's. (notice I say front mounted? My Buzzard has side LED's. Hope that's not too much hypocrisy....)
Hofner Violin basses - Does anyone really think that Paul McCartney's instrument choice should be copied?
Singlecut basses - Why?!!
Insane stringed basses like that twonk higher up this page - how much does your string sets cost?!!
Most Warwicks for their studpidly wide neck profile
Fretless basses - You're never going to sound like Jaco, so don't bother and let's face it Pino Palladino was always the idiot who left his hat at someone's home...
Gibson - 3 point bridge? Just STOP IT!! Plus the Thunderbirds are truly awful
Foderas - How much?!! Really?!!

Although I thought I'd never say it, Status basses. Just stop releasing endless Kingbass sequels with ludicrously minor tweaks. You don't need to sell 8 different versions with such a vast variety of options available. Until they do another all graphite bass with an upper wing you can rest your arm on, I've lost all interest.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332028045' post='1582404']
Yeah, I hate BC Rich - it's all pointy, bollock-shaped tat...

[/quote]

Nice instruments! Just so we're all clear, the comment was a play on words and not a dismissive comment about BC Rich - although I'm not a fan I don't have a problem with them or the people who play them.

Those of a nervous disposition, look away now or you'll puke

Basses I'll never own

1) Fenders, floorboards the lot of 'em

2) Overpriced Fender Clones (Sadowkies etc), why pay much more than the real floor boards cost, for the same thing with a different name on the headstock?

3)Musicmans, played loads of them, only ever found 1 that was nice

4) Warwicks, you charge that much for them, and don't even laquer them

5) Singlecuts, lazy Luthiers couldn't be bothered to finish the job

6) Fanned frets, drunk Luthiers shouldn't have finished the job

7) Rickenbackers, my first bass was one, hated the laquered fret board

8) Gibsons, you couldn't throw grabbers away years ago, then that idiot from green day and the one from Nirvana used Gibbo's and they were suddenly a "Must have" Bass

9) Wals...Why?

I liike Headless basses, I like Sei basses (Except the Fender clones and singlecuts) and I like Statii