Why become a member? ×

Basses that you've never wanted to own.

Marvin

some one said all they can get from a P bass is a thud.? cant understand that.. anyways im not to keen on the look of Ricks... i would still play one though.... ive really gone off fancy wood basses, especially spalted maple. and buck eye burl....theres not many basses i wouldnt play but... i really dont like basses that are headless, lots of flashing LED's, have a hugely HIFI tone, and the people who are playing them seem to be stuck in the 80's...

no no no...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1332035431' post='1582476']

I've never wanted a Status because they are for [b]45 year old men with beer guts [/b]who saw Mark King play one. Consequently they must be the most-LED-fingerboarded basses ever made. Sorry to whoever here has a fingerboard festooned with LEDs but seriously what the f*** were you thinking? [b]Do you just LOVE christmas?[/b]
[/quote]

That's me then, Mr Santa. :lol: My Status S2 has blue front and side LED's and 6 strings, I sometimes use the side led's but rarely the fronts, looks a bit over the top when playing the Frog and Tw*t on a weekend.

Also, I've never liked the looks of Warwicks, but ended up buying my Streamer just because a combination of the body colour and the gold hardware just seemed to make the shape work for me. It's got a monster tone as well. I never ever thought I'd end up owning one, but this ones superb.

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1332066453' post='1582637']
100s of switches, more knobs than a Brighton gay bar,
[/quote]

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/WallOfSoundGuildAlembic.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1332068583' post='1582664']
a casual glance through the thread would seem to infer that the the J is winning the day hoorah! :P
[/quote]

Nope, that's 'cos we're too busy contentedly playing our Ps to come and mention Js here! :lol:

Actually I like the [i]idea [/i]of a J, but not that slope-y body. (Which I why I have a G&L JB-2.)

[size=3](Edited for very bad typing.)[/size]

Edited by ras52

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1332069704' post='1582682']

Actually I like the [i]idea [/i]of a J, but not that slope-y body. (Which I why I have a G&L JB-2.)
[/quote]

well in that case you need a TRB - still got the slope but not as steep as the J but certainly not flat like the P across the butt :o

Ricks - they look great but I couldn't ever own one

Anything headless - wrong to my eyes

Status - popular British brand around here but really not my thing at all

Most British manufactured basses in fact. It's a very silly thing to rule out not owning something British built but for me, my favourite companies are generally American builders.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1332028104' post='1582405']
Wals - The Delorean of the bass world. Stylistically stuck in the 80s and were never actually cool. Geeks tried to make it cool and in turn created a new low on the geek scale, so lesser geeks finally had someone to bully.
[/quote]

Controversially I think I might actually agree with you on this one! I'm sure they sound fantastic though.

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1332066453' post='1582637']
Anything that would look out of place on stage. For example, it wouldn't look right to be playing soul with a BC Rich, or Metal with a Hofner.
[/quote]

Using a BC Rich for soul would totally suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeYk6mFSwIk&feature=related

A Fender Precision. I've hated them since I was forced to borrow one for a gig I played many years ago. I did fine and made no mistakes. But what a friggin' nightmare that neck was for someone mostly used to Gibson necks. I absolutely could not wait until that gig was over. I was very grateful to the guy who had lent me the bass, but was totally baffled that he seemed to like it so much.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332071305' post='1582720']
Using a BC Rich for soul would totally suck.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeYk6mFSwIk&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

Also, didn't Bernard Edwards use them for a while? And Jo Dworniak although I bet most people haven't heard of him! ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1332078766' post='1582840']
Wow, 4 pages and only 3 mentions for Gibson (and only one of those is Gibson as an entire brand). I think just about everyone deep down has a secret hankering for one ;)
[/quote]

Gibson make basses? ;p