Why become a member? ×

Basses that you've never wanted to own.

Marvin

Firstly this is not a 'hate' thread :)

Whenever I look at basses in shops or online I've never given any interest to Musicman or Rics. Neither one appeal to me and I've never even wanted to try one. It may be just aesthetic. The MM just looks a bit big a bulky for my skinny arse frame and I just don't like the looks of the Rics.

Edited by Marvin

ricks.
yamaha BB, sure they are supposed to be nice, but the look of them...
and basses where there is way way to much fancy woods going on. Some builders know how to make it look nice. Others don't.
pointy things.
singlecuts. with a few exceptions I just don't like the look.
Gibson EBwhatever, not a sound I want

Anything spiky - BC Rich etc...

[attachment=102783:Widow-WMD-Bass-W5WIBO.jpg]

I've got a bit of a soft spot for some of the Jackson stuff (both the basses and the band) but a pointy headstock is my limit.

[attachment=102785:2855582000_frt_tbn_001.png]

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1332015907' post='1582216']
Anything spiky - BC Rich etc...

[attachment=102783:Widow-WMD-Bass-W5WIBO.jpg]

I've got a bit of a soft spot for some of the Jackson stuff (both the basses and the band) but a pointy headstock is my limit.

[attachment=102785:2855582000_frt_tbn_001.png]
[/quote]

I borrowed one of those BC Rich things the other day for a practice. Don't try and sit down and play one. Doesn't matter how hard you try, some part of it will dig into your thigh. Damned uncomfortable!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1332016363' post='1582226']
I borrowed one of those BC Rich things the other day for a practice. Don't try and sit down and play one. Doesn't matter how hard you try, some part of it will dig into your thigh. Damned uncomfortable!
[/quote]

Honestly Marvin, brain the size of a planet and you couldn't see that coming? ;)

Apart from the really nice looking ones, P and J basses. Especially P basses. The vast majority just look [i]so[/i] uninspiring. To me, anyway. That said, I have recently quite started to get into J basses (and Ps, but only very slightly), and I'm considering one as my next bass. The Japanese not-for-export Aerodynes look amazing.

Mind you, Sandberg Ps and Js have always appealed to me. I'm not sure why, but I find the ridiculously attractive. Possibly the finishes. They have some beautiful finishes.

Also Musicman...s. Musicmen? Musicmany? Stingrays and sh*t. Just not a fan.

Edited by Icarus_147

Fender Precision - I don't find the necks at all comfortable and, being the 6'6" giant of a man that I am, the body shape never quite feels comfortable. Sound wise, they have that reassuring THUD!, but I can get that with other instruments.

Musicman - love the sound but it's that damn body shape again.

Rickenbacker - not a fan of the appearance and although it has a distinctive sound, it's not a sound that I've ever found a use for.

Wierd Spikey things - do I look like I belong in a Mad Max film? :blink:

Yamaha BB range - Sound OK but they do remind me of a carricature of a PB.

Explorer/Thunderbird - body shape issues.

Single cutaways - body shape issues

SG - body shape issues.

So.... that doesn't leave me with much to look at... :rolleyes:

Based purely on aesthetics, Rickenbacker's. They just don't do anything for me at all, they could play like a dream for all I know, I just really don't like the look of them. I also find something strange looking about the majority of singlecuts.

I guess I've never felt drawn towards pointy basses (BC Rich and the likes). Never felt compelled to get anything with more than 5 strings, and even then I've only ever owned one 5 string (which I sold). But apart from that, I'll try anything once. Not fussed for Fenders, but I have owned Squier P and J before, so I can't really say I've never wanted to own one - I must have at some point :)

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1332026625' post='1582385']

BC Rich-type stuff - what's the point?

[/quote]

Erm, being pointy! ;)

In defence of BC Rich, the mockingbird isn't a bad looking thing, at least it's got a [i]couple[/i] of curves.