Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Mag proof reader abandons his post!

gary mac

Oh the horror, flicking through BGM yesterday and on reaching page 24, in big blue caps, the following: [b]SQUIRE[/b]

It's not the first time, there was an example of it last month or the month before but at least it wasn't in caps.

So, how can a music journalist not know how to spell it and what is wrong with the proof reader?

Right, I'm off for my morning caffeine fix, as you were :)

That's par for the course I'm afraid. I remember a review of a bass where the main negative point, repeated about three times in the review, was that the bass only had 20 frets, not 21. The problem was the pictures very clearly showed that it had 21 frets!

Schoolboy error :lol:

I saw a good gaffe yesterday, via e-mail - an IT spod talking about "multiple site deployments", which turned into "multiple [b]sh*te[/b] deployments".

We all agreed, jovially, that multiple sh*te deployments was the more honest and likely outcome from our IT :lol:

Edited by Gust0o

There was a review for a Bass a couple of editions ago, in the text it said something about it being £1000. In the box with all the specifications was the price: £850!

That said, they have tightened up the photography now. At one time you got seemingly random shots of the Bass, now they seem to always show tight shots of the headstock, neck, body, bridge, rear neck joint and back.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1331812032' post='1579198']
That said, they have tightened up the photography now. At one time you got seemingly random shots of the Bass, now they seem to always show tight shots of the headstock, neck, body, bridge, rear neck joint and back.
[/quote]

I find they have over large pics instead of actual written content - and subsequent mini shots don't really show anything more than the main image does. There was on a couple of months ago of an amp, no pics of the back connections but about 4 of the control panel from slightly differing angles.

The magazine does appear to be more commercial (more advertising i'm sure) than previously but that may be unavoidable for them to pay the bills. Incidentally - my subscription expired this months and I won't be renewing it - would rather pick it up from WHSmith and flick through to see if it's worth getting.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331813681' post='1579237']
I got one last week. Dunno if it's the current one for yous we're usually a month behind when I can find it.

Isit just me or has the quality of the paper went downhill too. It seemed to be cheap nasty stuff more akin to what the freebie included would be made off.
[/quote]
I actually prefer the new lightweight recycled paper, it fits better with the content.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1331803728' post='1578982']
That's par for the course I'm afraid. I remember a review of a bass where the main negative point, repeated about three times in the review, was that the bass only had 20 frets, not 21. The problem was the pictures very clearly showed that it had 21 frets!
[/quote]

cos some folk really really need that high B note

(i think it's B?)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331806630' post='1579055']
I don't read it anymore. Ben seems to have great intentions, but sadly, it's not a quality mag really. Just seems like Metro for bassists, except I think there are way more typos and errors in BGM.
[/quote]

Exactly . Cant see the mag lasting much longer than 2 years or so.

Did someone say it was on an advert though? I don't read the mag but I know that generally adverts are supplied to the magazine and placed in a reserved space. The ad space buyer is the one responsible for any mistakes on the ad, not the magazine editor... Although I doubt Fender would let something like that out the door, it wouldn't be the first time they have made a mistake would it?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1331822435' post='1579463']
Exactly . Cant see the mag lasting much longer than 2 years or so.
[/quote]
Thing is, I don't think this is Ben's fault. He introduced a few new good things. I think it's Oysterhouse's fault, they seem to have infected all their magazines with norovirus. Have you seen Guitar Buyer since they took it over? A shadow of its former self. Athough with things like this, it's hard to lay your finger on tangible differences and explain why it's changed. And you have to examine yourself to see if it's your own attitude to musician's magazines that's changed too.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331823271' post='1579473']
Thing is, I don't think this is Ben's fault. He introduced a few new good things. I think it's Oysterhouse's fault, they seem to have infected all their magazines with norovirus. Have you seen Guitar Buyer since they took it over? A shadow of its former self. Athough with things like this, it's hard to lay your finger on tangible differences and explain why it's changed. And you have to examine yourself to see if it's your own attitude to musician's magazines that's changed too.
[/quote]

Guitar Buyer is no longer being printed.

[quote name='Mr Lizard' timestamp='1331823613' post='1579489']
The reviews of the basses feel more like advertisements. They don't seem very honest at all.
[/quote]
I always thought that too.
never any criticisms....or tiny if ever. Paragraphs of visual descriptions that are evident in the photos anyway. z-z-z-z-z...

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1331820108' post='1579422']
maybe it slipped through the spell checker and they need to learn about the 'add to dictionary' option :blink:
[/quote]

Unfortunately the problem exists because "Squire" is an acceptable word. In order to use a spell checker you have to remove it from the default dictionary so it will be flagged and then can be either kept or replaced with "Squier" as required. This is but one of many beginners artwork mistakes that proliferate in BGM and have started appearing in Guitar Buyer as well.

I like BGM. I would like it to succeed. To that end I have offered my services as an artworker (it's how I make my living) at a reduced rate to BGM in the past. I never heard anything back. Either I was still too expensive (in which case they are getting what they paid for) or they simply don't care.