Why become a member? ×

London Bass Show '12 - how was it for you?

visog

It's generally much better today, longer quieter periods. Less slapping generally and more volume control.

There are some bargains kicking around too. Early Gibson era Tobias for £500, Sadowsky NYC active P for £1,500, unplayed MusicMan reflex for £1,300 etc., etc.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1330854359' post='1563678']

I have a suggestion - if so many of us hate slap at these things why don't we start a bloody petition or movement to NOT slap at all? If it really is that offensive lets get some t-shirts printed up saying "Slap Is For Twats" or "Slapping Sucks" - wearing ond and casually standing next to people who are doing it, for comic effect :)

Just a thought

M
[/quote]

:lol:

Not long back from attending today - the atmosphere was okay I thought. Yes, lots of nasty low rumbling frequencies being squashed either side by snappy slappers - but bearable. Tbh, not an event, IMO, that's conducive really to sitting down and trying anything.

Saw John Paul Jones - no chance of me queuing up for a photo with him, but a quick snap to record I was in the presence of greatness[attachment=101685:IMG_1572.jpg]

Youngest son won a Taurus pedal - determined to look suitably unimpressed for their publicity shots!!
[attachment=101686:IMG_1569.jpg]

Edited by Jigster

I went up on Saturday (yesterday) with my other half. We were there for most of the afternoon. I went along to see what it was like, to look at five strings and to see a lot of gear in one place. I didn't go last year.

The noise was pretty grim in the main exhibit area - unbearably so at times. I would sign up for an anti-slap t-shirt. My other half did ask why I didn't play like that. As a new player I did wonder for half a moment if I was doing something wrong. Then I thought about it and I won't type my reply as I'm not sure it's for regular viewing. I must applaud the EBMM stand for their headphone approach although it was almost impossible to get at them (I'm looking at you the kid who wouldn't put the 6-string Bongo down - get a room or something).

On the plus side I did get to try some five strings. The Spector stand were really helpful and I tried a far-eastern and Euro 5 strings. Was impressed by both. I tried a couple of 5-string Warwicks at Promenade Music (Streamer BO and a Corvette $$) who were also very really helpful but their stand was far too small and they had run out of Elixers by mid-afternoon. I also briefly picked up the Stealth Stingray 5 on the EBMM stand but wasn't able to get near the headphone amps.

Said hello to Mark from Bass Direct (I got my bass and amp from him). He seemed to be busy making sure kids didn't ding the Dingwalls. Can't say I blame him.

Someone else mentioned the purple sparkle fender on the Sims stand. That was my other half's pick. Not sure I had a 'best in show'.

Anyway that was my experience. Overall I enjoyed it and I might go back next year but possibly not if it's just going to be the same set-up and exhibitors again.

Just left the show & overall, I enjoyed it. Remembering my ear plugs helped. Enjoyed the Yolanda Charles gig. Neil Murray tackled his masterclass with typical English modesty. I think he needed a host to get the best from him. Great to here him play some of his classic lines though.

Gear wise, I played a nice ash/maple GMR and a Dingwall Super P 5 which was really impressive. I'd like to try it somewhere I could hear it though - perhaps phones should be mandatory next year.

I found it a thoroughly compelling day out mainy due to T.M Stevens. During a One hour show of shouty funk I learned the following-

1. Turn off your mobile phone
2. we are all equal, all of us
3. Turn off your mobile phone
4. Winners don't use drugs
5. Turn off your mobile phone.
6. Computers are bad
7. Turn off your mobile phone
8. Youth is the future.
9. Turn off your mobile phone
10. The glass is always half full.

Mental!!!

Well done to Swans in Flight for playing a blinder while looking entirely confused by Mr. Stevens performance throughout. I still can't decide if it was actually any good or not but it will certainly be etched into my memory for years to come.

First time for me this year.
Set out from the frozen north on Saturday at some ungodly hour, full of anticipation, wallet at the ready...
TBH I thought the whole thing would be bigger, and having given all the stands a quick once-over, I thought it was going to be a short day.
Wrong-wrong-wrong.
The workshops were GREAT and the live performances were each worthy of the ticket price alone.
I managed to talk to Yolanda (x), and had a quick word with Mr Turner too.... where else could you do that on the same day?
I thought Tony Butler had some wise words and TM Stevens was infectious ..

Like many of you though, the strangest thing for me witnessing the relentless slap-fest that rolled on for the full day.
As a first timer, it was more amusing than annoying, and I was happy to be 'entertained' by the "fast is best/look at me" mentality demonstrated by quite a few..

Don't get me wrong, I'm an admirer of the technique (when used sparingly and tastefully), but I have to agree with pretty much all the Pro's who got to speak on the day... It's all about the groove/the pocket/less is more etc etc.

Would I go next year ? You betcha.
The Mrs loved it too.

Highlights ?
Shuffler.
Yolanda.
Overwater Perception 5 (poplar)

Edited by Dazzlovski

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1330899071' post='1564651']
I know that our fellow member Joe Hubbard must have been playing in Roscoe and Aguilar booths - anyone got a chance to see him?
[/quote]

i saw him yesterday but he was just walking about. Apparently today he was playing a bit and giving out his CD.

LOUD. Rather more expensive than intended, but fun.

Went to the TM Stevens & Neil Murray Masterclasses. Interesting to hear the points of view & good to see Funkle T talking in such a positive light to the youngsters.

Yolande Charles (meant to get a CD but got tied up in other stuff and missed out) and Doug Wimbish put on good shows in the main hall.

Met a few BC faces of old, added a few more and had a good chat with a few more, and missed even more.

...and finally following a sustained two pronged attack on the Overwater stand late in the day came away with a pretty good deal on an Overwater by Tanglewood Classic Jazz. Hadn't intended to do more than look today, but my will was finally broken and another bass entered the stable. After working in ways to smuggle it in on the train on the way home, none of which would have held any water, I just brazened it out

So great to see so many familiar faces and to put also finally put faces to names! I had a real blast over the last three days. I love being a bass player and being part of the community. I worried less about the noise, just as long as I could hear what you were all saying.. Yup, i did waaaaaaay more talking than playing again this year!

Today's Ollie? Yeah, i did. Ha ha, it was a bit different from the run of the mill clinic, but I thought it was rather fun. Dave Marks holding down the bass line like a real trooper bless 'im!

I really enjoyed the show this year, which was the first one on which I had my own stand, for Bassline Publishing. We met a lot of previous customers and plenty of new ones too it seems! Also great to catch up with the regulars - Alan Vaughan, Dave Marks, Mike Flynn, Joe Hubbard, Phil Mann and the guys from Mansons and Status. Good to meet Ped and Simon Fitzpatrick too - only problem really was the noise, which as several people have mentioned was excessive. Many of us who were exhibiting complained to the organisers since it really did make talking to customers difficult. Fingers crossed it gets sorted properly for next time.

I've posted a few pics on the Bassline Facebook page, which you can see here: https://www.facebook.com/BasslinePublishing

Noisy as it was, I loved it, and fully intend to be there next year. Also came away with an awesome Bogart 5-string, which is hands-down the best 5-string I've played in a long while.

Cheers all,
Stuart

Well for me, it was my first show and will be the last! The number of traders was pathetically small, I have seen more basses and more variety at the provincial guitar shows. Having said that, well done to Promenade Music for having a nice selection of basses and some real cracking bargains.

I took a wad of cash expecting to be spoilt for choice - no chance as there was so little choice. I ended up spending it at Macari's in Charing Cross Road.

As for all that slapping! It's all been highlighted above but even the guys on the manufacturers stands were demonstrating their wares with slapping.

For the size of the show and what was on offer it was worth a £5 entry fee.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1330854359' post='1563678']
Overall I thought it was good and has a good mix of gear, education and performance.

I have a suggestion - if so many of us hate slap at these things why don't we start a bloody petition or movement to NOT slap at all? If it really is that offensive lets get some t-shirts printed up saying "Slap Is For Twats" or "Slapping Sucks" - wearing ond and casually standing next to people who are doing it, for comic effect :)

Just a thought

M
[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea :) .

I'm assuming the peeps at BGM are responsible for organising the event? If that is the case, why don't we all email the magazine, and try to work with them to get the issue of the noise resolved as it seems to have been the main bone of contention for the last two years?

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1330936188' post='1564844']
I'm assuming the peeps at BGM are responsible for organising the event? If that is the case, why don't we all email the magazine, and try to work with them to get the issue of the noise resolved as it seems to have been the main bone of contention for the last two years?
[/quote]

I don't think spamming their email will make any difference. I think they are already aware of the situation and are trying to resolve it. When people are involved however, getting them all to tow the line is near impossible. People say "pull the power" to the stands but if exhibitors can't exhibit their stuff, they just won't bother signing up to what is a very expensive stand.

As for the slap thing, it's obviously a very popular thing and everybody who slapping these basses like crazy are visitors to the event and have paid their entrance like everybody else. They may hate finger style and jazzers. Difficult problem to fix. Last year was always going to be like that when the headline was Mark King.

My first trip too and won't be bothering again. Still I saved enough on strings from Promenade and a book from Bassline to pay my fare and the entrance so not grumbling. It was a morning out. The scales and modes book is just what I've been looking for Stuart, especially for a tenner! Thanks.

As I am not really interested in looking at basses I can't afford (along with the noise so not really worth trying them) I would prefer it to be squashed into one day and have all of the classes, shows etc,. back to back. I could then spend 30 minutes looking around the gear and the next 10 hours attending the various performances.

Some thoughts on how to deal with the slap-fest next year:

1. Have one day slap-free. Rigourously enforce this by ejecting offenders.

2. Charge a premium on the ticket price for the privilege of slapping. Slappers get a different coloured wrist band (has the advantage that the rest of us can identify and avoid them) and you can only slap if you have the right coloured wrist band. Rigourously enforce this by ejecting offenders.

3. Have a separate sound-proof slap area (like a smokers area). Slapping is only allowed in this area - maybe you have to pay an additional entry fee to get into this area? Rigourously enforce this by ejecting offenders who slap in the main exhibition hall.

I didn't go this year partly because of the reports of the noise from last year and also because looking at the list of exhibitors very few of the really interesting luthiers and bass manufacturers were going to be present. This is the point at which what I want from a show and what the organisers seem to want is completely different.

For me it's all about the gear. The chance to see and try stuff in one place that even trips to Bass Direct/Bass Gear/The Gallery wouldn't be able to satisfy. TBH few of the musicians booked for the master classes play music that I find interesting, and unfortunately if I don't like your music then to me it doesn't matter how good your technique is, I'm going to be bored.

There is a massive number of fantastic and innovative luthiers and other manufacturers of bass-related equipment here in the UK and in Europe that IMO the exhibitors should be pulling out all the stops to attract to a show like this. I'm assuming that they pay the musicians who perform and give the master classes so why not also incentivise some more interesting exhibitors? I'd certainly make the effort to attend if I knew that I was going to be able to see products from BassLab, LeFay, Pagelli, Spalt, and TecAmp to name just a handful that were absent.