Why become a member? ×

London Bass Show '12 - how was it for you?

visog

Didn't make it this year as I was doing my hair.

How was the 'E'-centric slap aura?

Did any of the special guests appear on records you own or would be prepared to buy?

Let me know your highlights...

What gear floated your boat?

visog

first one i've been to. Wow the noise! What an absolute pain in the arse. And the slap..... I mean why? just why!!!!???

I think Doug Wimbish was a bit too eccentric for me, but yolanda and Shuffler were awesome.

Bass wise, Dingwall super P was amazing! loved the low B!

Also the blue Ritter Roya at BassGear had bags of character.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1330806660' post='1563353']

Bass wise, Dingwall super P was amazing! loved the low B!

Also the blue Ritter Roya at BassGear had bags of character.
[/quote]

I went last year... Dingwalls were in my highlights too along with GB, Overwater and Status.

Was Nigel C there doing his usual 64th deadened note slap-a-thon?

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1330808259' post='1563373'] I went last year... Dingwalls were in my highlights too along with GB, Overwater and Status. Was Nigel C there doing his usual 64th deadened note slap-a-thon? [/quote]

I have no idea who that is :huh: But it was bloody kids playing high end basses loud and just slapping dead notes out of time!! TM Stevans and Doug Wimbish didn't help as they were just doing the same. (except in time obviously)

I actually went! First time I've been to one of these things.

Christ, [i]what[/i] a racket. Impossible to tell what anything sounded like - but good to pick up basses and get a feel: [i]literally[/i].

I went along to say hello to Alan on the ACG stand, took an interest in Eve basses (right next door to him) and also chatted to the GMR guys who also make fabulous instruments.

I also chatted to a very lonely looking guy called Franc who writes the the incredibly technical 'Bass and Beyond' column in Bass Guitar Magazine. Nice bloke.

I enjoyed it... but I was only there for a couple of hours. Everyone was having trouble dealing with the noise. I imagine a whole day would be akin to water-boarding or H-block style violation of my Human Rights

Enjoyed it apart from the noise - it's already been posted on another thread that EBMM did the sensible thing and supplied a lot of headphone / amp setups. I really don't know how people can try stuff out properly and have to compete with the slapfest in the background. The organisers were using an airhorn to signal the fact that the noise was going OTT, but I think the organisers need to look at other options to cure the noise situation for next year.

IMO if that situation isn't cured, then people attending next years will spend more time watching the masterclasses / main stage events rather than visiting the stands and trying gear out. Surely soundproofed booths are the answer?

The horn was meant to indicate 15 minutes quiet time. Same as the drum show which I attended in November too. Shame NO-ONE acknowledged it. I think there should be some kind of sound limiter set up in the exhibition hall to make sure it only gets to a certain level...
All the noise inside made the hall me appreciate the Overwater stand just outside of all the noise, however. I'm now saving up to buy one of their models as soon as it comes out in a few months!! Beautiful, beautiful basses.

Hey all! I've just gotten back to Dood Towers after a day of insasne Bass noise. This year I was totally expecting it and came prepared. I think a lot of others were too. So with that, i was less bothered by the inane slappage that so many feel is the only way of displaying their prowess on the instrument at guitar shows. Heh.

I was though totally lovin' talking to as many of you as possible and having a brilliant laugh! Basschatters are bloody brilliant and I only wish that I'd known who more of you were to say hi to! This year I have broken my record. I managed to play four basses by the end of the day, as I'd been talking so much to y'all. Last year it was a massive zero plugged in!!

I'm sorting out my transport for tomorrow and looking forward to meeting more of you as well as those doing the weekend stint that I didn't get to talk to properly today!

I took one 'photo lol!

Yep the noise seem worse this year! here a link to my pic from today, I've made them pic public so you don't have to be a Facebook member to see ,

[url="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150586708976659.381878.554441658&type=1&l=c2d6fe15d8"]https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150586708976659.381878.554441658&type=1&l=c2d6fe15d8[/url]

ACS plugs out and ready.

Just deciding on whether to go for the Sh1teShirt :blush: I ironed them both this afternoon so it would be a shame to waste that hard work....just don't inspect my handiwork to well if I do, 'cos I'd have probably been better jut taking it out of the ironing basket tomorrow frankly :lol:

Anyhoo, got to be up at 7 for the train so enouugh of this nonsense. Might see some tomorrow (make that later today)

slap slap slap slap..........how many bands have slap bass players?Very few. very very few.
It's a bedroom thing. Great, but in small amounts. Very very small amounts.

So pleased I couldn't travel over 700 miles round trip to hear what seems like...........AUDIO...HELL!

Ah, but the visuals. Great pix Trevor, thanks

Edited by leftyhook

I'm working on the BassGear stand again this year. We managed to get Paul Turner on the stand for 20 minutes or so. He arrived with an awesome pedal board & three Jamiroaquai songs taken from masters with all the bass removed.

He played along to these and was absolutely awesome. Seeing someone as good as him from such close range was amazing.

The 'official' line was that there was only supposed to be 15 mins per hour of 'noise' but several stands simply refused to conform and that started others off. We took a multiple headphone set-up along but some people were so loud it was ridiculous.

Today they are planning to limit to 30 mins in each hour of noise and say they will pull power from people who don't conform.

Other thing about the slap idiots was how disrespectful they were to some of the stands who put on short artist demos.

I was watching Enrico Passini (builder of Wood & Tronics basses) and his main demonstrator Roberto Badoglio on the Vanderkley stand. They were playing some really nice, and very tasteful, stuff. Lots of chordal harmonies, and fast high end runs etc.

Some git sat down at the stand next to them, cranked the volume pathetically loud and a good go at drowning them out with, out of time, random slapping.

Enrico & Roberto took the piss a little and played bad slap right back at him but he carried on regardless. Eventually The two Italians were about to give up playing as they couldn't hear themselves and refused to turn up any louder. Then the 15 minutes klaxon sounded, Roberto played a nice little descending flourish & they stopped.

The git on the slapfest just carried on randomly whacking away. This wasn't a young guy either, I'd say he was well into his 50's. . .

I had a great day - enhanced greatly by hanging with a certain Lamb bassist - but it was great seeing a few folks like Dood and Molan again - I tried a few basses but spent a lot of time away from the main hall, and a lot of time on the Overwater stand - I even managed a mellowish jam with superb bassist Mike Nicholls. I spent a lot time chatting with the Scott Devine and lots more musos - but the bass highlight of the day was Scott's bass, the tone is exquisite and it plays beautifully. I'd have to make a few adjustments if I was to commission one but it's so good I'd seriously consider getting one, the fact I got to play it through an amp without resorting to silly volume was amazing - even though I managed to blow out some of the lighting and short circuit the power on one corner of the Overwater stand - luckily it was right at the end of the day!

Overall I thought it was good and has a good mix of gear, education and performance.

I have a suggestion - if so many of us hate slap at these things why don't we start a bloody petition or movement to NOT slap at all? If it really is that offensive lets get some t-shirts printed up saying "Slap Is For Twats" or "Slapping Sucks" - wearing ond and casually standing next to people who are doing it, for comic effect :)

Just a thought

M

[quote name='krazy_olie' timestamp='1330854442' post='1563682']
not the greatest feedback... i'm tempted to go today, and have nothing else to do, recommended?
[/quote]

Well if you go to a few of the masterclasses and live performances rather than just ogling lots of gear then yes you'll probably have a great time - plus there IS some lovely gear there - s'up to you really

I went last year , and was in two minds as to wether to brave it this time round .
Last year I went with loads of cash and credit cards with serious intent to buy something if I found a great bass / amp , but the deafening drone of a thousand plank spankers made it nigh on impossible to try anything out .
I did think the masterclasses were great , well worth the admission fee , and I would have like to have seen the BassDirect stand especially if the Mike Lull T-birds were there , but judging by the comments in the posts , I'm not too upset at missing it this time round .

Edited by martin8708