Why become a member? ×

Listened to Floyd for the first time today..

lxxwj

I always think it's a shame no-one rates Animals. Was the first time I heard Floyd. Alan Freeman playing it on his Saturday Rock Show. Been my favourite since. Never been a huge fan of The Wall. Has it's moments but only about four of them. Just a great band though and I'll always be sorry I never saw them live. Still have DVDs though, next best thing.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1330781467' post='1562909']
No matter how many times I try,I just can't get into Pink Floyd-I just find it really boring.
The only album of theirs that I can tolerate is 'Wish You Were Here'.
[/quote]

I was the same for years... Prog-wise, Yes by comparison had so many more chords, melodies and mood changes and no blues lines. Much more exciting; as Squire is the better singer and player. But then I was driving listening to R2 one time and Jeremy Vine said, "and now for something really special" and he played all of "Us and Them" and it blew me away. Kind of got them after this point.

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1330798397' post='1563219']
Well they nicked it from Floyd - that's what they did on the recording
[/quote]

Yup Saw Waters doing it in Hyde park a coupla years back on his solo tour.
Gooood gig, got some REALLY dodgy video of me and me mates singing along to Wisha somewhere :)

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1330800459' post='1563251']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pws0ITGyogo[/media]

First time I heard Floyd, 13th birthday present.
[/quote]

And me - I was there, right near the front, age 14 - had never seen or heard anything quite like that before

Couple of nice moments but I have never bought any Floyd and never listen to it by choice. I just find it all a bit bland harmonically and rhythmically. Some nice melody, I'll give you that, but even that can be a bit samey. I think I just got to them too late in my listening career.

Does it matter that I have never been pissed or stoned?

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1330800459' post='1563251']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pws0ITGyogo[/media]

First time I heard Floyd, 13th birthday present.
[/quote]

I remember it well. Poured with warm summer rain, which really enhanced the lasers and other lights!

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1330798397' post='1563219']
Well they nicked it from Floyd - that's what they did on the recording
[/quote][quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1330802968' post='1563284']
Yup Saw Waters doing it in Hyde park a coupla years back on his solo tour.
Gooood gig, got some REALLY dodgy video of me and me mates singing along to Wisha somewhere :)
[/quote]Well there you go. Never too young to learn. Much discussion about CD's & MiniDisc players to cover it, then I came upon the [i]correct[/i] answer by chance

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1330781049' post='1562900']
Was working through Time for the gig next week last Sat morning ([url="https://www.facebook.com/events/209959032374317/"]Epsilon @ Holbrook Club Horsham[/url] if you're interested BTW) and when we finished the drummer said something along the lines of "that Nick Mason's a lazy ****er. Only plays kick & snare in places" which the keys followed with "Rick Wright's not doing a great deal" to which I added "...and most of the time the bass is playing one note/bar" (at least on the songs we are covering) [u][b]HOWEVER[/b][/u] I should add that all agreed that be that the sum of the parts was still huge.

Got to enjoy a bit of Pink Floyd....and I do both listening & playing. Most taxing bit for me on Time is the intro where I'm being the clock on the bass and playing the bass on the bass pedals :D
[/quote]

Nick Mason, Lazy?

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH2HaZInOK8

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1330812062' post='1563441']
I'm a huge massive fan of 70's (ballpark) Floyd.
For those struggling with the Floyd, try not to take them on face value. [b]Just close your eyes and let yourself be taken in a journey.[/b]
[/quote]

Big +1000 there Rich. WYWH changed my musical life, aged about 14 or 15. Still the greatest album ever made IMO. The intro to Shine On is my favourite bit of music ever by an enormous margin and my favourite bit is that opening chord fading in; utter perfection.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1330871671' post='1564108']
I'm afraid that 'Comfortably Numb' and 'Wish you were here' will forever be "Uncomfortably Dull" and "Wish I was somewhere else" in my book.
[/quote]

That's exactly how I feel about Must Hang Sally.

First got into them 30 years ago and have not looked back since. Still an inspiration today.

Saw then live at Wembley Stadium, Knebworth & Docklands. All great gigs except for the bits I missed at Docklands cos I passed out.

Look out for DSOTM on the classic album series that is still getting repeated.