Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Listened to Floyd for the first time today..

lxxwj

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1330778833' post='1562841']
Welcome aboard :)

I have been a huge fan for a long time.

Enjoy the experience!
[/quote]
I certainly will, I think. This stuff is like nothing I've ever heard before.. kinda funky, blusey, jazzy, all at the same time. :D

Was working through Time for the gig next week last Sat morning ([url="https://www.facebook.com/events/209959032374317/"]Epsilon @ Holbrook Club Horsham[/url] if you're interested BTW) and when we finished the drummer said something along the lines of "that Nick Mason's a lazy ****er. Only plays kick & snare in places" which the keys followed with "Rick Wright's not doing a great deal" to which I added "...and most of the time the bass is playing one note/bar" (at least on the songs we are covering) [u][b]HOWEVER[/b][/u] I should add that all agreed that be that the sum of the parts was still huge.

Got to enjoy a bit of Pink Floyd....and I do both listening & playing. Most taxing bit for me on Time is the intro where I'm being the clock on the bass and playing the bass on the bass pedals :D

Edited by WalMan

love them very much... some parts of dark side you might call spiritual.. some parts of the wall are just the closest thing rock has come to classical.... they are/were a band all on there own.. once you hear there music you will never forget... true pioneers in the truest sense...

oh and i just had this great poster framed...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1330781049' post='1562900']
Was working through Time for the gig next week last Sat morning ([url="https://www.facebook.com/events/209959032374317/"]Epsilon @ Holbrook Club Horsham[/url] if you're interested BTW) and when we finished the drummer said something along the lines of "that Nick Mason's a lazy ****er. Only plays kick & snare in places" which the keys followed with "Rick Wright's not doing a great deal" to which I added "...and most of the time the bass is playing one note/bar" (at least on the songs we are covering) [u][b]HOWEVER[/b][/u] I should add that all agreed that be that the sum of the parts was still huge.

Got to enjoy a bit of Pink Floyd....and I do both listening & playing. Most taxing bit for me on Time is the intro where I'm being the clock on the bass and playing the bass on the bass pedals :D
[/quote]
Intro to Time on a bass? This I need to see. Videos please! :D

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1330781467' post='1562909']
No matter how many times I try,I just can't get into Pink Floyd-I just find it really boring.
The only album of theirs that I can tolerate is 'Wish You Were Here'.
[/quote]

A big Ditto on that from me. Awfullness incarnate (with a helicopter in that bloody video i saw many times in 1979/80 at the college projector at the weekly Record club/Film night.)

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1330778590' post='1562833']
It was fabulous.

That is all.
[/quote]

David Gilmour is one of the world's most tasteful guitarists, Pink Floyd's music helped to shape a generation. Dig around in their back catalogue, enjoy what you learn, :)

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1330790841' post='1563069']
Meddle and Obscured By Clouds are the winners for me. Welcome to the machine!
[/quote]

Big +1 for Meddle - One of these days...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlggaDF6eI&ob=av2n"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlggaDF6eI&ob=av2n[/url]

Big fan, not really of anything past The Wall, but just been through a huge Animals phase again.

I did a 45 minute Floyd set for a mate's party a few weeks ago, was terrific fun - did Dogs, Astronomy Domine, Shine On VI-VIII, Run Like Hell - last time we did Sheep, Money, Have a Cigar - nothing I'd call boring, because even when it's simple, it's still got to drive it... (Next time will be Pigs, One of these Days and Arnold Layne...)

I've also been listening to a lot of the live 70's stuff - the Wembley 74 concert (on the remastered DSOTM and WYWH albums) is incredible (especially, well, all of it - the early version of Dogs / You've Got To be Crazy is superb, and the DSOTM is the best version I've heard), and also bootlegs from the 77 Animals tour (especially Oakland). It's all on YouTube, amazing.

(The drummer we used is an old friend from my jazz/funk band days - he noted how after working through 5-string Warwicks and Musicmen, 15 years later I'm back to a 4-string Fender P with a pick. Sounds great for the gig...)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1330781039' post='1562899']
Listen to 'Echoes' and 'Comfortably Numb'!
[/quote]

Excellent choices Sir!

To be followed, if I may be so bold, with Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Album-wise, I would venture to suggest Meddle and Wish You Were Here as a fine pair.

Further recommendations will be unnecessary as, by then, the OP will be completely hooked and searching out the entire catalogue.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1330781891' post='1562918']
Intro to Time on a bass? This I need to see. Videos please! :D
[/quote]We'll see how they come out Friday.........oh wait do you mean the clocks all going BONG!? No, I'm just doing the tick tock that follows. Nicked the idea off the BP in a Floyd trib band I saw a couple of weeks back

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1330778590' post='1562833']
It was fabulous.

That is all.
[/quote]
Where have you been? That happened to me in errrrr 1967 or thereabouts, loved their music ever since & every time I hear any B)