Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Listened to Floyd for the first time today..

lxxwj

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1330781049' post='1562900']
Was working through Time for the gig next week last Sat morning ([url="https://www.facebook.com/events/209959032374317/"]Epsilon @ Holbrook Club Horsham[/url] if you're interested BTW) and when we finished the drummer said something along the lines of "that Nick Mason's a lazy ****er. Only plays kick & snare in places" which the keys followed with "Rick Wright's not doing a great deal" to which I added "...and most of the time the bass is playing one note/bar" (at least on the songs we are covering) [u][b]HOWEVER[/b][/u] I should add that all agreed that be that the sum of the parts was still huge.

Got to enjoy a bit of Pink Floyd....and I do both listening & playing. Most taxing bit for me on Time is the intro where I'm being the clock on the bass and playing the bass on the bass pedals :D
[/quote]

Yep agree - TIME is a fantastic track to cover. Did it in a 3 piece band yrs ago. Simmons drums and guitar synth. The bass pedal intro was the hardest part to copy although our drummer also had a sampler system that allowed him to copy the clocks and the chimes along with the bass pedal part. All very technical for a mere bassist like me who just played bass - :lol:
I absolutely loved playing this song although i preferred playing the bass part from delicate sound of thunder version.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1330966268' post='1565496']
Yep agree - TIME is a fantastic track to cover. Did it in a 3 piece band yrs ago. Simmons drums and guitar synth. The bass pedal intro was the hardest part to copy although our drummer also had a sampler system that allowed him to copy the clocks and the chimes along with the bass pedal part. All very technical for a mere bassist like me who just played bass - :lol:
I absolutely loved playing this song although i preferred playing the bass part from delicate sound of thunder version.

Dave
[/quote]copying the chimes as samples and triggering them from the pedals had been one of my options, but that would have meant even more gear in my "corner" with a laptop to run it from as well as the synth unit. At which point I would run screaming from the room.

Not incredibly difficult, as mentioned in the OP, but the sum of the parts does make it epic

To develop the point made by Paul Cook's t-shirt, I read a story a while back about how Carl Palmer of ELP (obviously) was stood in a queue at Heathrow in about 1977, waiting for something or other. Anyway, as he stood there, up crept two scruffy herberts who it turned out were Captain Sensible and Rat Scabies of The Damned. Now, this was all after the first flowering of punk, and it was well known that it was supposed to be a reaction against the King Arthur on Ice-ness of prog, so Carl was expecting to get some kind of bollocking for his trouble.

Rat stepped forward, looked over his shoulder, then turned to Carl and, in a quiet voice, said 'Hi, I just wanted to say, I'm a big fan. It's an honour.' The two punks then shot off to catch their own plane.

Lovely story, I think.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1330937938' post='1564859']

I like a bit of the Syd era stuff. Otherwise I'm pretty much with Paul Cook.
[/quote]

Edited by achknalligewelt

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1330969083' post='1565562']
copying the chimes as samples and triggering them from the pedals had been one of my options, but that would have meant even more gear in my "corner" with a laptop to run it from as well as the synth unit. At which point I would run screaming from the room.

Not incredibly difficult, as mentioned in the OP, but the sum of the parts does make it epic
[/quote]

:lol: we didn't have laptops back in those days I'm afraid circa late 80's / early 90's.
You youngsters are lucky to have this modern technology :lol:

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1331037213' post='1566597']
:lol: we didn't have laptops back in those days I'm afraid circa late 80's / early 90's.
You youngsters are lucky to have this modern technology :lol:

Dave
[/quote][u][i][b][size=5]Youngsters!?[/size][/b][/i][/u] In heart possibly but sadly not in body, being a few months older than you :lol:

So glad the OP has discovered a new world of music joy!

I'm a huge fan. I especially love Meddle and Ummagumma.
Never dreamt that one day i'd be able to stumble through the bass line to Money - but I'm learning that right now :)

If I had to be critical though, I'm not a big fan of the Wall. Mainly because the lyrics annoy me. 'We don't need no education...' all very well for them to say that, but they all got a bloody good education didn't they? But I digress....(as usual!)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1331049791' post='1566860']
If I had to be critical though, I'm not a big fan of the Wall. Mainly because the lyrics annoy me. 'We don't need no education...' all very well for them to say that, but they all got a bloody good education didn't they? But I digress....(as usual!)
[/quote]

and wasn't it the mega-rich Lennon that said "Imagine no posessions"

;)

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1331037382' post='1566599']
[u][i][b][size=5]Youngsters!?[/size][/b][/i][/u] In heart possibly but sadly not in body, being a few months older than you :lol:
[/quote]

OK you got me there Walman.
Should have said US youngsters :lol:

Dave

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1331063930' post='1567164']
We should start a Basschat 'Animals' THE best PF album club.

Always dissapointed when most tribute bands ignore this great masterpiece!
[/quote]

Agree that it is overlooked. I always thought this would have been a better follow up to DSOTM.
My 2nd fav PF album.

Dave

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1331049791' post='1566860']
So glad the OP has discovered a new world of music joy!

I'm a huge fan. I especially love Meddle and Ummagumma.
Never dreamt that one day i'd be able to stumble through the bass line to Money - but I'm learning that right now :)

[/quote]

Never thought I'd be an apologist for Floyd, but I think you've misinterpreted that lyric.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1331214353' post='1569514']
Never thought I'd be an apologist for Floyd, but I think you've misinterpreted that lyric.
[/quote]

Always a possibility....
But the way I interpreted the vid as well was that it was somewhat critical of teachers. Personally, I think they get enought flack.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1331215119' post='1569534']
Always a possibility....
But the way I interpreted the vid as well was that it was somewhat critical of teachers. Personally, I think they get enought flack.
[/quote]
wasn't the album supposed to be autobiographical (Roger Waters) so I think the lyrics come from individual experience rather than general comment.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1331215869' post='1569559']
wasn't the album supposed to be autobiographical (Roger Waters) so I think the lyrics come from individual experience rather than general comment.
[/quote]

OK, fairy nuff and sorry Mr Waters <_<

I don't think I'll ever like it though. Once you've formed an association in your head it kind of sticks. Though of course that is one of the joys of music in itself.. it takes you off to somewhere different. Unfortunately for me in this particular case it's a negative place.

But anyway I shouldn't keep on about this one negative thing cos actually I [b]love [/b]the Floyd!!

I think David Gilmour is on record as saying that The Wall was basically Roger whingeing. Loved the earlier stuff though. At fourteen I went to a quadraphonic (vinyl) hi-fi demo and first heard the beginning of Breathe - it still sends shivers down my spine.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1331215119' post='1569534']
Always a possibility....
[/quote]

I always took it to be a sarcastic line, kind of like a know author saying "like wot I wrote".
And the part about teachers, specifically the protagonist's teacher in the song (with whom many of us can relate to to some extent) was a combined reflection of life experience mixed with symbolism of authority, which in the end contributed to his breakdown...

... but I don't suppose there's any correct interpretation.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331282422' post='1570616']
Except the one you've just given, which I pretty much agree with!
[/quote]

Haha cheers. I have to confess though, following a mild obsession with the film, I ended up writing a paper on it as part of a media course I was on 20 odd years ago.
I passed (like anyone failed :rolleyes:) but there was an odd comment added by whoever marked my dissertation... "[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#FF0000]A+ ... bloody hippies[/color][/font][/size]" :lol: