Why become a member? ×

Contempt for your audience.

arthurhenry

Do you ever look out at your audience and think "you pathetic bunch of idiots; dancing (!), singing along (!!) and generally having a good time (!!!) to Brown eyed girl, Walking on sunshine, Sex on fire etc, etc. It's almost as though you've never even heard of Camel or King Crimson! Losers!"

Just sayin' like.....

Edit: This comment may contain exaggeration and humour.

Edited by arthurhenry

[i]sort of think that[/i]

[i]if you start to think like that,you really should just pack it in,[/i]

[i]sell your gear,or better still donate it to me,then join a sowing circle[/i]
[i]cause these are the people that are paying you wages[/i]

[i]cheers[/i]
[i]stef[/i]

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1329767790' post='1547075']
....Do you ever look out at your audience and think "you pathetic bunch of idiots; dancing (!), singing along (!!) and generally having a good time....[/quote]

No!

Sometimes I wish there were more but a happy audience means a happy promoter, which means more work.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1329767790' post='1547075']
Do you ever look out at your audience and think "you pathetic bunch of idiots; dancing (!), singing along (!!) and generally having a good time (!!!) to Brown eyed girl, Walking on sunshine, Sex on fire etc, etc. It's almost as though you've never even heard of Camel or King Crimson! Losers!"

Just sayin' like.....
[/quote]

Since I don't play live i'll give you the view from the pathetic bunch of idiots...

At the kind of cover band gigs you describe I'm usually the girl at the front with the cheap camera, and I don't dance, nor am I inebriated - but I invariably have a good time.

At MY kind of cover band gigs, I raise the devil's horns and shout along to Peace Sells... But Who's Buying, or Souls Of Black, or even to Die.. By My Haaand... I Creep Across The Laaaand (etc.). I've also been known to hold up a lighter to Every Rose Has Its Thorn. And to throw a jokey pair of lacy knickers at "Eddie" or "Diamond Dave". :P :D B)

Edited by bluejay

Nope. Usually end up thinking 'I can't believe you lot are stupid enough to pay us to come and play songs you already heard 10000000000000000 times before, that are piss easy to play and let us come back every other month and pay us to play the same set again!'

Never, but I've always enjoyed the songs I've been playing, and if the audience enjoy it, then the more the merrier. If I found myself playing songs I didn't like, then I think it would be more likely I'd have contempt for myself.

However, there have been plenty of times I've been a member of an audience, and had contempt for a lame band playing tired old covers.

I once felt contempt for an individual audience member. He spent the first set drunkenly stalking to and fro across the front of the stage, scowling and windmilling his arms and yelling at punters and screaming "You're a w***er" at our singer.

He spent the second set trying to persuade us to let his fat teenage daughter "get up and sing along, you c**ts". It wasn't even a wedding, ffs.

So yes, I have stood there and thought "You pathetic idiot". But not about people who are enjoying what I'm doing.

How very odd.

Yes. Many many times, and pretty much all of those times it was wedding gigs. And it near killed me until one night I looked around the room at all these people having the time of their lives, and the other guys in the band were having a great night and it finally hit me that I was the only miserable c**t in the room. I figured I could choose to be happy or choose to be miserable. Happiness won.

Having said that, a few years later I did quit a wedding band because I must have spent at least the first three songs staring at the back on the singers head and saying 'You're a c**t, you're a c**t' repeatedly. The world has a way of telling you things I believe.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1329769567' post='1547123']
Nope. Usually end up thinking 'I can't believe you lot are stupid enough to pay us to come and play songs you already heard 10000000000000000 times before, that are piss easy to play and let us come back every other month and pay us to play the same set again!'
[/quote]

THIS!!! ^^^

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1329771351' post='1547166']
....drunkenly stalking to and fro across the front of the stage, scowling and windmilling his arms and yelling at punters and screaming "You're a w***er" at our singer.

....spent the second set trying to persuade us to let his fat teenage daughter "get up and sing along, you c**ts".
[/quote]

We used to regularly get this in various bars in Glasgow, and it was usually the highlight of the evening...

'Giz a rebel song, ya b*stards'.... Priceless

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1329769567' post='1547123']
[/quote]

This is why I never go to see bands at the local boozers....

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1329771837' post='1547178']
This is why I never go to see bands at the local boozers....
[/quote]

And this is why I never worry about bills... Because although I don't always enjoy playing those gigs, it puts money in my pocket and that's the reason I joined a covers/club band...

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1329772551' post='1547199']
And this is why I never worry about bills... Because although I don't always enjoy playing those gigs, it puts money in my pocket and that's the reason I joined a covers/club band...
[/quote]

this. I think there is a clear difference between gigging as part of your main income, and doing it part time. Mine is my job, and sadly sometimes it feels like it.

no but i once headbutted a pissed up guitarist or bassist who spent 10 mins shouting i can play that better than you.that bit didnt bother me cause i see myself as very average it was when he got on stage and tried to grab the bass from round my neck that i lost it with him and the best bit was that the members of the crowd gave him sh*t for doing it

Edited by bobbytodd

Only if the audience get violent, do I change my attitude towards them. And then, it depends if the violence is directed at each other, or us/me. Luckily, either situation has only happened seldom in my gigging time.

And so my attitude towards the audience - pleased that they`ve ventured out, and are staying to watch/listen to us. Grateful for their support if they`ve offered it, glad that they`ve got up and danced, if they`ve done so.