Why become a member? ×

Please beware TC power ratings...I didn't...

basstech

Yes I [i]know[/i] they're very good amps (I've got one), but they all apparently use an internal power/peak compression 'safety' system - which in effect can in reality nearly halve the RMS output from the amp.......I wish I'd read the smallprint...... Although it can sound 'loud', I did wonder why the basic amp sounded compressed (even without using the on-board compressor)

.... Just think, the sound is compressed internally, u can compress it on the amp [i]and[/i] you may even have a nice rack compressor to compress it again.........does that turn the sound inside out?

Now looking for new amp.... :(

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1329765837' post='1547023']
I always thought that mine sounded 'loud enough' but to my ears 'something' wasn't quite right.

Maybe this explains it?
[/quote]

Indeed, I had the RH750. My band members all wondered why I went 'down' to 500 watts again with the LMTube.

I always used with the compressor completely off and was never satisfied that it was off off. Like traction control in some cars. You can never really turn it off.

I had the Classic 450 for about a week. The compression side of things I didn't notice (never pushed it that hard) but what bugged me was the lack of high end. I understand that TC designed it this way but to me it made it a bit of a one-trick-pony. If that hi-end ceiling could have been defeat-able I'd probably still have it.

[quote name='basstech' timestamp='1329763337' post='1546965']
Yes I [i]know[/i] they're very good amps (I've got one), but they all apparently use an internal power/peak compression 'safety' system - which in effect can in reality nearly halve the RMS output from the amp.......I wish I'd read the smallprint...... Although it can sound 'loud', I did wonder why the basic amp sounded compressed (even without using the on-board compressor)

.... Just think, the sound is compressed internally, u can compress it on the amp [i]and[/i] you may even have a nice rack compressor to compress it again.........does that turn the sound inside out?

Now looking for new amp.... :(
[/quote]

What cabs are you going through?

No one mentioned the onboard system TC used to make the amp sound how it does before the recent Bass Gear Mag review. It is a LOT more than just 'compression', which many tend to simplify as it is.

Read the docs on the TC site.

Best test it thus:

Line up a similar rated amp, (in my case it was a LM3, and also a Shuttle 9.0 which is 900W!)

Take into consideration how the gain/master tapers work, (eg the LM3 is a full power at roughly 12 on the master, and then REALLY compresses and clamps down once you push it, with hard clipping).

Use the same cab, bass, etc.

Test.

I did this. I had no reason to stick with the TC....it was actually MORE expensive than the others.

What did I find out? Watt ratings mean very little. Management of power and heat management is very important in these types of amps. A good limiter, like the RH450, and the recent Genz Streamliner 900, make a massive difference.

Out of all the amps, the 450 was louder, simple as that. If you don't like the tone, that's different.

I think if you are hitting the limits of the RH750, something isn't right.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='basstech' timestamp='1329770713' post='1547154']
Hey Charic
..... Going through BC 2x12 and BC 2x10..
[/quote]

That may have something to do with it, through 2 x rs210 my RH450 managed to keep pace with a PA drums, Vocals, 200w orange guitar amp cranked. It's a loud beast but my only experience with the BC cabs was with a bassist tuned to drop G so I can't post a realistic opinion.

I would try it with different cabs before giving up.

Is it the RH450 or the RH750?

My TC Classic 450 was plenty loud enough going through my BC212 - I never had it much above halfway on the master. I just really didn't get on with the sound of it. It just didn't have any low mid 'grunt' if you know what I mean.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1329777648' post='1547344']
My TC Classic 450 was plenty loud enough going through my BC212 - I never had it much above halfway on the master. I just really didn't get on with the sound of it. It just didn't have any low mid 'grunt' if you know what I mean.
[/quote]

Really?! How odd...

The RH I tried really really reminded me of a good version of the Line 6 SVT model. Don't think that's a bad thing.
I found it pretty loud enough, just didn't like it. It had the same subtle compression (or power management) that the bass Pod had. At the time it was a toss up between the RH and the puma I went for.

However in terms of features the RH is pretty far ahead of the game.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329777990' post='1547357']
Really?! How odd...
[/quote]

The amp sounded as if you'd removed the sliders on a graphic equaliser at the punchy end of the spectrum. There was low bass and mid and a decent high end but however much I twiddled and widdled the knobs I couldn't find the specific low mid frequencies I was looking for. I thought it might have been the speakers but they now sound great with my ABM 500 so they weren't the problem.