Why become a member? ×

Please beware TC power ratings...I didn't...

basstech

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1329858279' post='1548727']
FWIW, the RH750 sounded VERY pokey to my ears.

I have others misgivings about class D in general but wouldn't complain about the demo I had.
Not in the market for another amp, but if I had been, the 750 would be on my list
unless a TF750-A and DB750 was on the horizon.

No..scrub that..would go for the TF or Ag..no question :lol:
[/quote]

I looked into the DB750/751 before I settled on the RH750. A totally different beast and quite a bit cheaper too obviously, but the practicalities of heaving a DB751 to a gig brought a tear to my eye just thinking about what it would do to my back :lol:

[quote name='CyberBass' timestamp='1329860546' post='1548811']
Down to individual taste. Pro's and Con's to all set ups. And plenty of Gas exchanges in the for sale section of variety of amp makes and models. Am more than happy with my RH Head and Barefaced Cab set up.
[/quote]

I also am happy with my RH450/Barefaced... though I am running a two Barefaced cabs, 4+8 ohms :) remember these heads can go down to at least 2.67 ohms (tested by me), so more cabs for greater sensitivity is possible. I would also not hesitate to run it at 2 ohms either, TC's specs released on the quiet seem to suggest this is possible.

As for volume, I find there is too much, and I have set the "preset level" for each preset at less than 50% so that the volume control becomes a bit more useable. Still, I never run the volume control over about 1/3 before it becomes too loud ... I am in a loud rock band. Mind you, those Barefaced cabs are sensitive. (I use Compact + S12T.)

The only thing I don't like about the head is the distinct lack of hifi type high frequencies, as I believe there is a roll off at about 6kHz. This is why I would trade up for the RH750 when the cash becomes available - I definitely don't need more power, but the tweetertone control seems to be what I need.

Oh lord, this isn't helping my cab GAS at all, you know - I've been considering another Schroeder (8 ohm) cab to go with my 4 ohm 1515L, but I've been held back by the 4+8=2.67 load on the RH450. Aldude, do you have a link to the TC specs released on the quiet, by any chance?

The hi-fi highs don't bother me, luckily - hence the tweeterless 2x15 :D

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1329922620' post='1549806']
Oh lord, this isn't helping my cab GAS at all, you know - I've been considering another Schroeder (8 ohm) cab to go with my 4 ohm 1515L, but I've been held back by the 4+8=2.67 load on the RH450. Aldude, do you have a link to the TC specs released on the quiet, by any chance?

The hi-fi highs don't bother me, luckily - hence the tweeterless 2x15 :D
[/quote]

There was a thread on BC a while back, I will have a look for it now...

EDIT: here it is: [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/tc-electronic-power-rating-and-active-power-management.pdf"]http://www.tcelectro...-management.pdf[/url]

It's a document released by TC to explain their magic APM tech. Look for the table at the bottom. The "Min. load" for each TC amp is given. Looks like I was slightly mistaken in thinking that the RH450 was rated to down to 2 ohm, but TC seem to suggest it's ok for 2.66 ohm at least, i.e. 4+8 ohm cabs or 8+8+8 (three cabs).

TC probably did this so they could sell three cabs per head rather than two ;)

Edited by aldude

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1329959661' post='1550593']
Thought of a way of saying it:

Unless you are clipping the power amp, which will probably be a horrible ripping/shrieking noise, it isn't the lack of power you don't like, it is the voicing and colour.
[/quote]

An excellent summary. I've not heard, as yet, of anyone clipping the amp even at full tilt.

So where are all these Classics and RH450s that everyone was buying last year and now few seem to still have?

According to the crits these amps were the dogs' danglies and now they seem to attract widespread slagging. Can perceptions really change that much in a few months or was this another case of Emperor's Clothes syndrome? :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1329995845' post='1550927']
So where are all these Classics and RH450s that everyone was buying last year and now few seem to still have?

According to the crits these amps were the dogs' danglies and now they seem to attract widespread slagging. Can perceptions really change that much in a few months or was this another case of Emperor's Clothes syndrome? :rolleyes: :D
[/quote]

I don't think they're getting widely slagged are they? Apart from by one or two detractors, usually with no experience of TC other than maybe a quick fiddle with one at a trade show and then off home to have a moan about the 'lack of power'. The people who like them like them, those who don't, don't, most of whom don't choose to complain about it and just play a different brand of amp.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1329995845' post='1550927']

[/quote]

Don't think it was either - lots of people bought them and a lot liked the tone, some didn't: they were a new amp with a lot of new features, and lots of people wanted to try them out, and in these days of big music gear stockists on the high street becoming extinct, that pretty much means buying for most people. Add to that the GAS factor introducing cycles of gear ownership, and things get moved on - the TB power-spec hand-wringing has coloured the issue, but is pretty much irrelevant tbh.

A similar thing happened a couple of years before with the LM stuff when the LMIII, Tube and Rocker came out, and those (like the Classic and RH450) are still great amps. A quick look back in the For Sale section since the middle of last year shows comparable numbers of RH450s and LM heads for sale.

And yep, mine's staying. :D

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1329925380' post='1549861']
There was a thread on BC a while back, I will have a look for it now...

EDIT: here it is: [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/tc-electronic-power-rating-and-active-power-management.pdf"]http://www.tcelectro...-management.pdf[/url]

It's a document released by TC to explain their magic APM tech. Look for the table at the bottom. The "Min. load" for each TC amp is given. Looks like I was slightly mistaken in thinking that the RH450 was rated to down to 2 ohm, but TC seem to suggest it's ok for 2.66 ohm at least, i.e. 4+8 ohm cabs or 8+8+8 (three cabs).

TC probably did this so they could sell three cabs per head rather than two ;)
[/quote]

And there it is, in black and white - 2.66. Thanks for that mate. ;)

Gawd, this is gonna cost me... :(

Still love mine too. Can't imagine being without the built-in tuner these days.

Lack of volume - what a joke! Like others, I've had to reign in the preset volume by a long way and *still* don't get anywhere near half-way on the master volume.

As for the Talkbass furore, I'm sure a large part of it is red-necks who'll hate any non-US product. (Hence so much GenzBenz love over there)

[quote name='Alec' timestamp='1330010946' post='1551380']
Still love mine too. Can't imagine being without the built-in tuner these days.

Lack of volume - what a joke! Like others, I've had to reign in the preset volume by a long way and *still* don't get anywhere near half-way on the master volume.

As for the Talkbass furore, I'm sure a large part of it is red-necks who'll hate any non-US product. (Hence so much GenzBenz love over there)
[/quote]

maybe many of them are experienced bass players who just don't get on with TC gear

[quote name='Alec' timestamp='1330010946' post='1551380']
[/quote][quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1330021767' post='1551646']
maybe many of them are experienced bass players who just don't get on with TC gear
[/quote]

I'm sure plenty are, and that's fine - no amp is perfect or will suit everyone. It's the people that loved their RH450s until they found out there was a "problem", which they'd never noticed, and then suddenly hated the product and the manufacturer so vociferously.

And I always chuckle at how the US really are afraid of stuff made outside the US, when you consider how poorly built some of their domestic products are. And many more are built with rather less state of the art componentry than we're used to. Probably the biggest example of this is their common love for Switchcraft connectors where the rest of the world (probably rightly) views Neutrik as state of the art. I'll stop there, as I think I'm starting to drift...

• 1 month later...

I picked up a rebelhead450 of here last year. I love it. I run it through a trace compact 1x15 and trace 2x10 (200 watt model) plus trace tweeter box and it is plenty loud for my purposes. Able to drown out drummer and guitarist no problem. Love the range of sounds you can get out of it as well. The tube tone mixed with mid settings seems to really ramp up the volume.