Why become a member? ×

Precision and Jazz bass census

ead

There have been a number of recent threads on the merits or otherwise of Jazz and Precision basses so I started wondering how the various basses are represented in BC.

The question is "which P and/or J basses do you currently own"

Some guidelines for voters:

1. I don't know how to do multiple choices if members have, say, three Fender Js. So please pick your favoured model. However if you have a Fender, a Squier and a clone you can vote for all three.
2. Apologies to Squier afficionados, I not familiar with the marque and I don't know if there are equivalents to MIAs and MIMs etc so you only have one box for each type.
3. By clone I mean basses very obviously replicating the classic J and P. So for example, to pick one of my basses, the Overwater Contemporary Jazz doesn't count as a Jazz bass.
4. Not bothered about the number of strings or whether your bass hass frets.
5. Non-J/P option is catered for.
6. Please don't vore for your GAS basses or basses you have moved on.

Enjoy!

Can we not have a "Haven't got one because I get distracted by other shinny basses".

I would like one, probably a P bass, but I tend to get distracted by things like this [url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR400QM"]http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR400QM[/url] :)

3x MIJ Jazz basses: '62 reissue, Marcus Miller 4 string, Fretless. Maybe not the very best Jazzes out there but in my experience the quality is usually excellent and MIJ used to be dirt cheap / great value.
1x MIJ Precision: '62 reissue. Great P bass sound but I prefer the feel of a Jazz neck
1x '78 USA Jazz: very heavy, neck like a baseball bat, poor build quality but somehow very enjoyable to play

A no-name Chinese J copy fitted with Wizard Hammers, which I absolutely love!
Squier Affinity P-bass with GFS pickups - still here as I type, but on it's way south on monday... A very nice bass but I find that the J can do pretty much what the P does (but not vice versa).

To be fair, I'd be happy with the P if I didn't have the J - but of the two I prefer the J.

I owned a Squier VMJ fretless for 6 months. Couldn't get on with it at all. IMO didn't sound, play or even look as good as the £70 Wesley bass it was supposed to replace. Only instrument I have zero regrets about getting rid of.

Made me realise because I had already spent 20 years playing basses that owed very little in terms of construction and styling to Fenders that what I expected from a bass was completely different to what a Fender bass provided.

Hmm, out of 150+ basses not one that wears a Fender badge. As for the others, the ones that come closest: Yamaha BB1200, not really a Precision clone; Yamaha BB2000, not really a Jazz clone; Yamaha BB3000, not really a Jazz clone; G&L L2000, not really a Jazz clone; G&L El Toro, not really a Jazz clone, but the best execution of the "Jazz Bass" concept CLF ever designed ...

There's more to life and luthiery than Fender Precision and Jazz basses.