Why become a member? ×

Electric Shock!

Hobbayne

We played in a sports club over the weekend for a birthday party, and when I stepped up to the mike, I really got a belt as my lips touched it! :blink: All the other mikes where live too!, strangely enough, the bass strings and all other metal things were ok!
had to spend the rest of the evening singing about 6" from the mike!!

All equipment in a live situation should be connected to the same phase. If microphones are connected to one phase and bass equipment to another (for example), a bass-player/vocalist can end up as a conduit for around 30 amps of current!

You only need 1 amp across your heart and it's Goodnight Vienna, end of. You are very lucky to be in a situation where you can post about this! If it should ever happen again, don't carry on, it needs to be sorted. As KiOgon says above, you (and other people) could very easily have been killed in this situation.

Edited by discreet

Stone The Crows Guitarist was probably the most famous casualty:

[url="http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2106/is-playing-the-electric-guitar-dangerous"]http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2106/is-playing-the-electric-guitar-dangerous[/url]

I had been under the impression that equipment was manufactured to safer standards and it wasn't an issue these days but obviously not!

Not killed on stage, but dead nevertheless...

John Rostill The Shadows 31 November 26, 1973 Radlett, Hertfordshire, UK Electrocuted by guitar
Keith Relf The Yardbirds 33 May 14, 1976 London, England Electrocuted by guitar

...Bad electrics are just as deadly in one's own home. Don't take chances, play safe...

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1329389832' post='1541592']
[color=#FF0000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]"I've trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod."[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry, after all that exposure to shocks you're probably immune.

A similar thing happened to the singer of a band that I was playing alongside many years ago. He stood up to the mic and got an electric shock, just as you described. Thankfully they soundchecked before we did, so it was all fixed by the time I had to sing!

From what I recall, the problem was due to the extension lead we used not having a ground pin. So the simple fix was to swap the extension lead with one that did have a ground pin.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1329391712' post='1541644']
Stone The Crows Guitarist was probably the most famous casualty:

[url="http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2106/is-playing-the-electric-guitar-dangerous"]http://www.straightd...uitar-dangerous[/url]

I had been under the impression that equipment was manufactured to safer standards and it wasn't an issue these days but obviously not!
[/quote]

Nice bloke, Les, too. Worked in a Music shop (Cuthbertson's, now defunct) on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow in the 60's and was always up for a natter & let you play a guitar or two.

Brother of Alex Harvey and totally brilliant guitarist, up there with the very best - I watched him replace & tune a top E string one night while actually playing a solo - he was with Alex's Big Soul Band and Alex was knotting himself at sticking his wee brother in it.

He was engaged to Maggie Bell at the time of the accident & I don't think she ever really got over it.

I wouldn't say I knew him, but we chatted in the shop a few times.

G.

This came up a while ago and someone mentioned that the only way to be safe was to use a wireless system. I mentioned this to my wife who ordered me to get one. My mother found out and double ordered me to get one.

So now I use a Line 6 wireless and haven't been zapped by the microphone since.

I'm really horrified at how often this sort of thing happens. I'd refuse to play if I got a shock from the mic. Some venues really need to get their **** in order when it comes to the wiring - but just as often it's down to a power strip or amp with the earth disconnected as a bodge to remove ground-loop derived hum.

As has been said, it doesn't take a lot to kill you! And just imagine if your lips become the earth for a faulty valve amp with 800v on the plates... eek!

I used to be house-engineer in a pub in Cork, I had a welsh band in and the singer-guitarist blew a fuse when his lips touched the mic. He was lucky that nothing happened to him. The band started going on about it being a dodgy venue, and how I was a sh!t engineer, I checked everything and (eventually) found out that the earth wire in his amps plug was disconnected, he kept saying that it shouldn't matter and it was still my fault, but it does matter, and it certainly wasn't my fault. I never had any other problem when I worked there, but I still aways bring a phase tester in my gig-bag and check before I touch any mic in any venue.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1329409002' post='1542070']
I checked everything and (eventually) found out that the earth wire in his amps plug was disconnected[/quote]

Yeah, this happens all too often. A lot of older valve amps had ground lift switches that essentially disconnected the earth. The modern Fender reissues of some of their classic amps have the switch, but apparently it's a dummy!

[quote name='SebCarr' timestamp='1329410037' post='1542087']
Yeah, this happens all too often. A lot of older valve amps had ground lift switches that essentially disconnected the earth. The modern Fender reissues of some of their classic amps have the switch, but apparently it's a dummy!
[/quote]

Yep. A fault on the the amp's earth can lead to a shock when you connect with a well grounded piece of equipment that is electrically distant - that can be something on another circuit. It could also mean that there's a fault to earth on the amp (i.e. that the chassis is live). No earth means that the fuse won't blow, and often wearing rubber soled shoes is enough to prevent you from getting a shock - until you touch something that is well earthed.

Definitely get the amp checked out and use an RCD in future.

Edited by Musky

Had it once as a lad. Constant belters off the mic all night. After the ( two hour) gig I found out the engineer in the studio the day before had disconnected the earth wire in my amps plug to get rid of the hum... Never thought to mention it to me though! :-/.
I was barefoot and covered in sweat and beer too.
Sucked.

Excuse my ignorance, but...

My LMII amp has an "ground lift" switch. I've never used it, but if I did, would I be disconnecting the head from earth?

And would that mean that I am increasing the risk to me of a shock? If this is the case, why do they supply this option without lots of warnings?

Cheers

Graham

[quote name='Graham56' timestamp='1329435604' post='1542623']
Excuse my ignorance, but...

My LMII amp has an "ground lift" switch. I've never used it, but if I did, would I be disconnecting the head from earth?

And would that mean that I am increasing the risk to me of a shock? If this is the case, why do they supply this option without lots of warnings?

Cheers

Graham
[/quote]
It's a ground lift for the DI, and doesn't compromise the earthing of the amp.

Just to pick up on a point made earlier. While an RCD is a good idea it only really works if everything is wired up something-like properly. It's no substitute for checking the sockets are properly wired (socket tester) and that your gear has continuous earths et al (PAT testing + replace stuff that's obviously knackered).