Why become a member? ×

Magic Moments in music

Bilbo

Following on from lowdown's comments in the 'That chord again' thread, I thought I would start a thread that revelaed moments that made us go 'wow'. The important thing to remember is this is not about songs or cds but literally a couple of seconds that, as a listener, grabbed your attention....

Mine include a couple of links that Tommy Vance used to use on his Friday Rock SHow. I loved the show but he used to use these great instrumental pieces to link things. They included the opening theme off Take It Off the Top' by the Dixie Dregs and a section of AL DiMeola's 'Chasin' The Voodoo'. The programme was also followed by Alexis Korner's blues programme which had Weather Report's 'Birdland' as its theme. The opening moments of that grabbed me also and these three snippets got me looking into instrumental music, jazz rock and fusion which, in turn, got me into Jazz.

Every jazz musician goes 'aaaah' at the opening moments of Cannonball Adderley's solo on 'Milestones' and at Jimmy Cobb's cymbal crash that opens the solos on Miles Davis' 'So What'. Great moments in music history.

First thing that comes to mind is the few bars at the end of the chorus of Nantucket sleighride, as used by the World at One programme in the 70's. There's many more moments from musical history, but this one is a moment by itself for me. Nothing fantastic about the notes, just the arrangement of sounds.

http://youtu.be/q0JrV86EKCs

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1329389797' post='1541588']
Mine include a couple of links that Tommy Vance used to use on his Friday Rock SHow. I loved the show but he used to use these great instrumental pieces to link things. They included the opening theme off Take It Off the Top' by the Dixie Dregs and a section of AL DiMeola's 'Chasin' The Voodoo'.
[/quote]

He also used to use Mahavishnu's "Can't Stand Your Funk" if I remember correctly.

I've always loved Steve Howe's brief bit of harmonics noodling/tuning checking on his acoustic 12 string before starting to play "And You & I" on "Close to the Edge". It just sets the stage beautifully for what I think is the best track Yes ever recorded.

As an underage drinker, in a cabaret nightclub that my beloved Slade had been reduced to playing after punk destroyed any cred they had left. I'd had to borrow my Dad's clothes to pass for age to get in.
Up until then Slade had never been known en-masse for any technical ability, the songs were there to jump around to etc. In the 1978 set they included for the first time a cover of Cochrane's "Something Else". In the middle was a chorus of "Pistol packin' Mama", after which as they played the lights slowly dimmed until out of the darkness roared the most grindingly awesome sound I'd ever heard. As the lights came back up they revealed Jimmy Lea with his custom bass; which years later I found out was active with an onboard overdrive. It's notes sang & positively whined when he went up the dusty end. It was only "Purple Haze", but I'd never heard anything like it.
I decided there & then I HAD to have one; & the road to that end was my first EB3 - and 22 years later a John Birch custom EB3 wired with an identical overdrive by JD.
They kept it in the set for a couple more years............
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T13cc1DpF7g[/media]

Great thread! :)

The sublime moment that leaps to my mind is actually a classical piece. Profiev's Romeo and Juliet. NOT the Knight's Dance bit which has sadly been done to death with the Apprentice and all that. But the Tybalt's Death sequence which is really spine tingling. The strings go so high and there's a wierd sort of dischord at the end. Thrilling.

But if we're talking about popular music, m'lud, it's gotta be Bonzo's stupendous drum fill on Misty Mountain Hop by Led Zep.

For me, being a right old commercial tart, it's the bits that when you hear the song on the radio you are waiting for: Commodores "Easy" guitar solo cheesey yes, but not as cheesey as: Gladys Knight & The Pips the "Whoo Whoo's" in "Midnight Train to Georgia", and just to restore credibility a tiny bit, the trombone solo in "I've Got You Under My Skin" plus all those little motifs within arrangements (brass stabs in Son of a Preacher is the most immediate example).

I'll go and tune into Smooth FM now :D

My first HUGE one was hearing the opening chord of the first side of Hemispheres by Rush. I couldn't work it out as I'd only been playing guitar a few months, when my guitar teacher showed me how to play it it thrilled me to the core. The principles behind that chord still inform my approach to composing basslines and guitar chords today, in my own untutored inept way.

More recently, the massive chords in Dirty Loops' cover of Justin Bieber's 'Baby' blow my mind!

For me there's a moment in Firth of Fifth (by Genesis for the uninitiated :) ) where the song moves into a sweeping keyboard (I know, I know) passage that for me really creates the whole atmosphere of the song.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1329395426' post='1541731']
Its a long moment, but 3:20 on in Waking Up by OneRebublic is just amazing.

The chorus of 57 by Biffy Clyro from the Only Revolutions: Live at Wembley CD/DVD made me go wow, Adams (Drums) vocals are just amazing.

Liam
[/quote]

Adam? Isint it Simon, Ben and James?

57 is such an amazing song. So glad i've seen it in the smallest places! :)

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1329396084' post='1541751']
For me there's a moment in Firth of Fifth (by Genesis for the uninitiated :) ) where the song moves into a sweeping keyboard (I know, I know) passage that for me really creates the whole atmosphere of the song.
[/quote]

Only recently discovered this album, but I think I know the bit you mean. After the big piano intro when the organ comes in? Fantastic.

Chords which change under a constant melody note. The first time I became aware of it was in Mary Hopkin's eurovision song [i]Knock Knock Who's there[/i], in the chorus "the door is always open [u]wide[/u]" (the underlined word). I wasn't quite a teenager then. Later on, I discovered other instances of chords which change under a constant melody note on Focus and Camel albums.

California Girls- The intro chord sequence is divine.

The Rite Of Spring (LSO Claudio Addado???)- I know it's a bit passe nowadays but I still love it.

Gallows Pole off Led Zep 3- Bring on Bonzo

All Apologies- Nirvana- How to hit a chorus.

Obviously this is a great thread and I could go on for days

The intro to Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd. My older brother had just come back from Uni for the summer and had brought with him a selection of Prog & Heavy Rock LPs. I remember walking into the kitchen upon arriving home from school and hearing this MUSIC blasting out of the back room. I'd never heard anything that remotely compared (and probably haven't since). I couldn't believe that anyone could creat music that sounded like that; it was like the Sound of the Universe. It completely changed everything for me; my life, music, everything.

On a lesser level there are some bits of Hawkwind (live You Shouldn't Do That off Roadhawks and their version of Motorhead spring to mind) where the sound comes together at certain points to become the most incredibly vast, dense, overwhelming din. I love that. Oh, and the bit where the organ really kicks in at the end of Awaken by Yes (I love the whole track but that's the bit for me); it reduces me to tears every time. Sadly Rick never played the low part when I saw them do it live. The low bass part in The Fish by Yes (my all-time favourite part; 2 notes!); I get really excited anticipating it coming in. Gilmour's majestic solo on Comfortably Numb. Andy Latimer's majestic solo on Lunar Sea. The opening chords and vocal parts on When I Kissed the Teacher by ABBA; again, I think that changed my life when I first heard it.

On a can't-quite-believe-it-myself level, when Je Nais Pas Vingt Ans by Alizee starts kicking in. The first time I heard it I started dancing round the room like a loon, which I never, ever do.

Hmm, will have to try and think of some more...

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1329399088' post='1541832']

The Rite Of Spring (LSO Claudio Addado???)- I know it's a bit passe nowadays but I still love it.

Obviously this is a great thread and I could go on for days
[/quote]

Totally brilliant and caused a riot when first played. If I could go back in time, that would be a moment I would have loved to have seen!