Why become a member? ×

Precision Pickup recommendations?

sixdegrees

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1329696246' post='1546202']
Seymour Duncan [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SBP1 Gets my vote.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Hello, how old is this thread?? :lol: For what it's worth, I have the SPB-1 in my custom P, and it's a beast.
Sounds very much like a Precision, know what I mean? :P

The Will Power Dimarzio is good too. More bottom and mids than a SD1/4 lb'er and more prominent in a live mix to my ears. A bit more punch without the harsh top end I found with the SD. If you like that sort of thing!

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1333604588' post='1604049']
The Will Power Dimarzio is good too. More bottom and mids than a SD1/4 lb'er and more prominent in a live mix to my ears. A bit more punch without the harsh top end I found with the SD. If you like that sort of thing!
[/quote]

Not the thickest sounding pickup though and on it's own I've found it a little lacking for keeping the lows rumbling, though I guess a bassy amp can even that out.

The model P pickup and Split P pickups are amazing too!

Love all Dimarzios!

The Bareknuckle pickups are the dogs bits too! And they do custom and altered winds for a fraction more or even the same price

Much love here for the DiMarzio DP127, fitted on my '57RI it's the most powerful pup in the house, very high output, full range & every note crystal clear. The bass from it is phenomenal, in fact I'm tempted to get another in black this time for my '62RI.

IMO a far higher quality pup than a 1/4lb SD, for not much more money.

Cheerz, John

+ the one for the above ^

Funnily enough, I've just got a OLD one off EBay that I've since discovered I don't need.

I reckon this one probably goes back at least to the 80s if not earlier. It probably came off an old Matsubishi-built bass, or a Honda II - a lot of those had DiMarzios.

Comes in about 10.11K on my meter. PM me if interested.

G.

There's an awful lot of guff written about bass pickups. On a 'vintage' type pickup like the SPB-1, all the manufacturers are using the same bits and winding to the same specification. You would therefore expect them to sound very similar - and they do. Take a listen here: http://www.atkinsonbasses.com/multimedia.html and see if you can tell the difference between a cheapo GFS P-Bass pickup and a 'booteek' Lollar at many times the price.
Pickups that are physically different like the Quarter Pounder will sound different, of course, and cheap pickups that don't use enough wire sound weedy, but otherwise, the emptor should be aware that most of his money is paying for the brand name.

I have a Wizard Thumper in my SX precision and it sounds great. Loads of midtone if you wind up the tone control and loads of bottom if you don't.
Of course now I'm wondering how it'd sound with a trad or the Di mrzio mentioned above or stock fender pickup.

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1329696246' post='1546202']
Seymour Duncan [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SBP1 Gets my vote. Got one in mt CV P. The best complement I can give it is, it's ability to sound like a P Bass![/font][/color]
[/quote]

Spookily enough, I've just acquired an SPB-1 with the intention of putting in my Ryder*, but then scooped a bargain CV P thanks to a heads-up on here. So now the Ryder looks like being put aside, with the possibility of putting the SPB-1 in the CV. Having listened to the clips at [url="http://www.atkinsonbasses.com/multimedia.html"]http://www.atkinsonb...multimedia.html[/url], I'm slightly sceptical... before I get out my soldering iron, what can I expect from the upgrade. Don't CV's sound like P's anyway?

* I was going to say "putting it in Sue Ryder" but I know what you lot are like!**

** Because I'm the same.

Edited by ras52

I've come across a few underwound pickups in the past on Squiers and Yamahas (to be specific). Replacing them with a proper pickup - usually a Duncan vintage - improved the sound each time. It's not absolutely reliable, but you can try measuring across the windings if you have a meter. The standard resistance is about 10.5k (from memory). Or just try it and see.

There's a video on youtube with a precision with wizard trads...........what a sound!

Or they may be wizard thumpers bit confusing?

And this is it

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ic5Aq0qXc[/media]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1333967911' post='1608776']see if you can tell the difference between a cheapo GFS P-Bass pickup and a 'booteek' Lollar at many times the price.
[/quote]

Totally. I was really impressed with the GFS I put in my Squier P. Quality sound from a very inexpensive upgrade. Highly recommended. :)