Why become a member? ×

Precision Pickup recommendations?

sixdegrees

Hi, i have to say, i thiught the SD QP was exactly that, plenty of output and lots of mids! SD do a more vintage type pickup too, but there are a whole host of great passive pickups you can take a look at from the likes of Wizard and Delano to name just two. why not look out for a Fender reissue pickup too? I'd really like to give one of the Dimarzio pickups a go in one of my P basses.. The Will Power or maybe Model P.

Sorry, I can't be more precise than that as i've been an 'active EMG' user for years!

I put a Fender Original in a MIM bass a couple of years ago.

Was a lot more responsive and had lot more bite than the stock. Had to reign the high mids and treble in though. Even with flats.

I prefer the plain vanilla current stock US. It's got more depth when the treble's rolled off.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1329171736' post='1538431']
I personally prefer the Fender 'Original' Pbass pickup nowadays. Bit more pricey than a Trad tho', but not by much.
[/quote]

Same here. Had a Thumper and it was nice but i find the Fender is just a bit more traditional and Fendery.

Saying that, i'd love another Fralin as i think thats the best pup i've ever heard.

For me, the SD QP is a good pickup, but it really de-Fenders the sound. Tighter more defined lows, sharper highs, plus it makes the sound sort of "metallic". I prefer Fenders to sound like Fenders, but these are a good way of retaining a Precision-type sound, but modernising it.

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1329696246' post='1546202']
Seymour Duncan [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SBP1 Gets my vote. Got one in mt CV P. The best complement I can give it is, it's ability to sound like a P Bass![/font][/color]
[/quote]

Got them in my SH Precision Bass and my 87 Precision Bass. With a set of D'Addario flat wounds on there it can go from a mellow P-Bass sound to a proper growling beast.

There was a thread on here, with different sound samples of Precision pickups. If I recall correctly, the SD SBP1 was my fave on there - strangely, seeing as the Fender Original was also on there, I wasn`t overkeen, and that is a pickup I usually like.

• 1 month later...