Why become a member? ×

does anyone regret selling their first bass

SidVicious1978

I've still got my first bass (well officially my first bass was a piece of Jap crap called a Grant which ended up as firewood). It's the mighty mite in my signature. I wouldn't sell it because it would only get a fraction of it's real worth because it doesn't have a logo on it.

It got stolen but I hunted it down in a pawnshop a year later.

I'm so glad I didn't buy that Westone Thunder 1A

And this is it

[attachment=99756:bass long.JPG]

And this is me playing it 11 years ago

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjXErDb7CDw[/media]

Edited by gjones

nope, it was a lovely status shark. But it didn't cut through in the mix and wasn't at all punchy. Sounded great at home, brilliant to learn on... a bit lost playing live. It was sidelined for a P bass. Eventually I sold it to buy my first Warwick streamer... which was so worth it!

I couldn't part with mine - a late 90's Squier Affinity P-Special - I'd have less attachment if it sucked, but its actually a lovely player. It's been pimped out with new electrics and hardware and still gets the odd gig from time to time. I would definitely miss it if it went.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1328990051' post='1535839']
I couldn't part with mine - a late 90's Squier Affinity P-Special - I'd have less attachment if it sucked, but its actually a lovely player. It's been pimped out with new electrics and hardware and still gets the odd gig from time to time. I would definitely miss it if it went.
[/quote]

is that the modded-p of doom

Still got mine, a Vintage V950B 5 stringer. Ripped out the crap active electronics and put a Kent Armstrong P and J pickup in there. The pickups need raising and it needs re-wiring, both of which I've been meaning to do for years to make it usable again. The neck isn't great and it weighs a ton which is probably why I haven't bothered. It'll never be my main bass again and I'll get no money selling it either so it just sits there.

In some ways yes, but in cold reality it was a dog. An EB0 converted quite badly into an EB3, with an awful DiMarzio 1 instead of the mudbucker. I saw it after I sold it in the window of the legendary "Bostons" [s]fence[/s] junk shop in Edinburgh & it was even worse; AND they wanted £265 for it :o (This was in the mid 80's "has to be a custom or nothing" era.) The logo was smashed & the headstock had numerous fag burns in it.
It wouldn't have got that way if I'd kept it - but it would have cost a fortune I didn't have to renovate it.

s/n 90***9 if anyone has it?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1328993294' post='1535885']
In some ways yes, but in cold reality it was a dog. An EB0 converted quite badly into an EB3, with an awful DiMarzio 1 instead of the mudbucker. I saw it after I sold it in the window of the legendary "Bostons" [s]fence[/s] junk shop in Edinburgh & it was even worse; AND they wanted £265 for it :o (This was in the mid 80's "has to be a custom or nothing" era.) The logo was smashed & the headstock had numerous fag burns in it.
It wouldn't have got that way if I'd kept it - but it would have cost a fortune I didn't have to renovate it.

s/n 90***9 if anyone has it?
[/quote]

Last time I passed Bostons it's owner had just got given 25 years in the pokey and there was a large group of Rastafarian looking gentlemen loading the contents of the shop into a van. I'm assuming your bass is now being played in a reggae band down in Brixton.

I still have my first bass. It's a Burns Sonic and had already been heavily modified when I bought it in 1981. I've modified it more since then although all of my mods have been to keep it in a playable state unlike most of what had been done to it before I bought it.

I've kept it because it's still a useful instrument and I don't need to get rid of it for either space or financial reasons. In fact the only basses I've ever sold were ones that I bought because I had an immediate need for a specific type of bass and couldn't afford the time to be choosy. They were all moved on once I had found something more appropriate.

I want to say yes and be almost romantic about it, but hell no...not one bit. It was a terribly set up Stagg BC-300 in a godawful matt-black finish. I passed it on for about £80 and I almost felt bad taking so much for it.

Funnily enough, the one I'm wrestling with inside is my second Bass, an Epiphone Thunderbird, which I've played on and off for about 5 years now, still in near mint condition, despite being gigged and travelled with a lot. I want to shift it to put some money towards a nice fretless, but it's nice to have a cheaper 4 string with me at uni, and despite all its' shortcomings I've become very attached to it. Seeing them go on the forum for around £150 makes me tempted though, I just don't want to be in the lurch without a Bass while I find its' replacement.

Yes, I do regret selling my Oly White/Black pg/Maple 1976 Precision. I bought it new in 1976 and sold it last year. However, it funded a new custom bass (which is incoming next week!!!!). I was getting a bit anxious gigging it tbh and that's no good. I don't want to have basses hanging around like antiques and not being played. I never imagined it would end up being valuable.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/116578-precisions/page__view__findpost__p__1226142"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__1226142[/url]

It went to BC's Rumple, who (entirely coincidentally) lives within walking distance and he has very sportingly said I can go and see it any time if the emotional trauma gets too much! Which is very nice of him considering I still refer to it as 'my' 76P. Thanks, Dave!

Edited by discreet

yep, Ibanez Blazer Bass. Lovely bass, great neck, light but plenty of bottom end.

Had to sell to buy my next bass which was a yellow Precision with a bass boost. Weighed a ton but sounded great.

Had to sell a few years later to pay the rent. This could go on but I think we have another thread for that :D

No regrets here. My first bass was an Epiphone EB-3 and while it turned out to be just about everything I didn't want in a bass, at least it started me out in a Gibson-y frame of mind rather than a Fender one so I suppose I should be thankful for that :)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1328993896' post='1535891']
Last time I passed Bostons it's owner had just got given 25 years in the pokey and there was a large group of Rastafarian looking gentlemen loading the contents of the shop into a van. I'm assuming your bass is now being played in a reggae band down in Brixton.
[/quote]

Last time I saw Roddy Jnr was in Chambers Street after he got out; he'd lost a stack of weight & said he'd got stuck on junk while he was inside.

My first Bass was a natural wood finish Westone Thunder 1A. I sold it around '86 in McKays on Westgate Hill, Newcastle. Got £50 for it, which was not bad seeing as I'd nicked it off my guitards brother. I don't regret letting it go, it seemed to snap lots of strings. Either my heavy-handedness or a crap set-up.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1328999470' post='1535991']
Last time I saw Roddy Jnr was in Chambers Street after he got out; he'd lost a stack of weight & said he'd got stuck on junk while he was inside.
[/quote]

Weirdly enough, the last time I saw Roddy jnr was when I went looking for the very bass I mention in this post when it got stolen. I'm very glad Bostons didn't have it............ for both our sakes.