Why become a member? ×

does anyone regret selling their first bass

SidVicious1978

The first bass I ever owned is my trusty Peavey International Series 4 string. I used it on a gig 4 days ago! I love it so much I bought a 5 string version this year!

[quote name='SidVicious1978' timestamp='1328988622' post='1535816']
i dont get why people steal basses
[/quote]

I stole the bass from an ex girlfriend... Oops :lol:

Edited by chrismuzz

No, I've still got it ;) although I don't use it much as its replacement is a much better instrument, I wouldn't get much for it, the storage space reclaimed is insignificant compare to the size of my storage space problem, and it has some kind of sentimental value as well. Having said that, a decent offer would not be refused

A little - mine was an Avon EB0 type with flatwounds, lightweight and comfy to play, though with the wooliest, flubbiest tone possible (mud-bucker is a quite fair description of the PU sound). Sold it to help pay for another guitar and was quite happy at the time. Now I'd quite like to own it again, just to see if it could sound good with different gear.

No regrets at all. It was crap; a Framus Star bass that started to fall apart as soon as I got it. The bits lived in my parent’s garage for the next 30 years and went to the dump when they moved. Good riddance.

The next bass was so awful I sold it after 2 gigs. It was a Gibson EB0 and sounded like a goose farting in a fog.

I got it right on the third bass, a Fender Precision, which I still have.

[size=3][color="#000000"]I don’t really do guilt and regret but looking back I could have made more of my first bass. It was one of the earlier Korean Squier Jazz basses – super fast neck and lovely action but sounded a bit thin. I but a beefier bridge and strings on but they didn’t change the main sound of the bass. Knowing what I know now, I’m sure that better pups would have transformed that bass.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1337333201' post='1658189']
A little - mine was an Avon EB0 type with flatwounds, lightweight and comfy to play, though with the wooliest, flubbiest tone possible (mud-bucker is a quite fair description of the PU sound). Sold it to help pay for another guitar and was quite happy at the time. Now I'd quite like to own it again, just to see if it could sound good with different gear.
[/quote]

I've got one, passed down from my cousin who used it in a punk band many moons ago. That pickup actually squeals at high gigging volumes (I think it's a single-coil under the massive cover). Mine gets occasional use if I'm depping for a more indie/r'n'r type band, and the tiny neck and light weight make it good for playing while reading notes or following the guitarists hands... it sounds fine in that sort of band.

My first bass was a Fender Musicmaster. I had no idea what it was at the time. I'd bought a 6 string bass and decided 4 wasn't enough so I swapped it for a cheap sh*t drum kit. I really, really regret it. I'd love to have that bass back

No regrets about the very first one I owned, a truly awful Rosetti 7 semi-acoustic. However, the first bass I bought to actually have a serious go at playing bass with was a Hayman 40/40, and I do have fond memories of that. If one came up at the right price (somewhere around the £70 I paid for mine brand new in bits), I'd be very tempted.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1337333201' post='1658189']
[/quote]

I knew someone who had one of those. I gigged with it once. Your description of its tone is spot-on accurate.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1337372642' post='1659093']
I regret keeping my first bass..Kays EB copy.Sh#ter than sh#te.
[/quote]

I always say my first bass was a VOX Standard in 1982 (stolen in the mid-eighties but recently replaced courtesy of the Bay) So that was my first real bass when I started being serious bout bass playing - The reality is that my first bass was actually a catalogue bass that was terrible and embarrassing bought in about 1977 - had some fun with it though - great punk stickers and aerosol paint holding it together.