Why become a member? ×

So you have to use a Thunderbird or you dont get the job

grimbeaver

[quote name='grimbeaver' timestamp='1327675301' post='1515219']
I am thinking Bergantino 6x10 and Genz Benz Streamliner 9.0 to be honest
[/quote]
I was going to suggest the Berg in the for sale section, but you've beaten me to it.

Good choice. I use a TB into a Mesa 400+ into a Berg 610.

Cheers

Mark

[sub]Couldn't have seen it being Wishbone Ash as Bob Skeats been in the band for a long while and I'm not even sure he even owns a T-Bird never mind play one in the band! Now I did check UFO's web site and there is no mention of a bass player for their upcoming tour. They do play a couple of shows in the USA to warm up late Feb and if grimbeaver's not going to fly out there then they could use someone else for those I guess. First UK show on March 15th. Good luck if it is Phil & the boys, still a cracking live act after all these years.[/sub]

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1327670105' post='1515080']

From his own mouth - with a pick, always neck pickup only, bridge PUP dialled down to zero. [url="http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RyBfxSThF5YJ:www.flyguitars.com/interviews/martinturner.php+martin+turner+interview+thunderbird&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk"]This interview [/url](google cache, as website has exceeded bandwidth message up!) talks about his gear.
[/quote]

And he splits the signal to two amps - one clean, one dirty. I'm not sure exactly what amps he used back in the day but whenever I've seen him recently he's used a Hartke amp for clean lows and an Ashdown ABM for grit. Both amps went through Ashdown Mag cabs. He also used a Blackstar pedal for occasional solo boost. This rig sounded just like 'classic' Wishbone Ash, the tone of dreams!!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1327669321' post='1515065']
One of those wiggly [s]hula [/s] [b]skankdelvar[/b] doll toys stood on top of the rig will add to the full-on rock & roll flavour:

[size=2]Stack Ornamentation[/size]
[/quote]

Fixed :thank_you:

A

I`m intrigued by which band this is, really thought, by the description of gtrs etc it was gonna be UFO.

Re the stack, I think an Ampeg SVT CL would look immense on those Eden cabs - especially with a bit of customising of the cabs. With my Edens, I`ve always removed the badge, and painted the tweters black - makes them look much "meaner".

Valve Ampeg into a 6x10 stack of Eden cabs - now that sounds nice!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1327668480' post='1515044']
Sounds like the backline is as much about the image as eQ the instruments.

I'm guessing from what you've said so far this is old-school rawk, so it's got to be a valve Ampeg with one or two 8x10 cabs. Or perhaps if you want to be a bit more radical an Acoustic amp with one of their folded horn cabs?
[/quote]

Or get a nice pre, dummy cabs and use in-ear monitors?

I don't think there is anything wrong with being required to use certain gear, or look a certain way. If they are an established act with a look, then fans would expect them to look this way. It's no different from being expected to wear a suit in an office, or safety boots on a construction site. If the band has been upfront about this, then go for it... There is a lot worse you can do than play a TBird.

How about considering Matamp for old school tone and thump?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/41PBUl.jpg[/IMG]

As you can see, I'm a little biased!

Anyway, my outside guess for the gig... how about Sisters of Mercy?

Edited by billyapple

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1327738466' post='1515971']
[sub]HYmmm.. Saxon maybe. But Judas Priest have an all out Gibson (V, Paul, Thunderbird) thing going on.....[/sub]
[/quote]

Ian Hill never used a TBird, He used a Jazz up to the mid '80's, and now uses Spectors. Saxon were always a white P band, well Dobby Dobson was anyway.

Sounds like a hell of a good gig whatever it is, personally I'd play a Daisy Rock Bronco if I had to and it meant that much to me....

T'birds demand to be played through a valve amp (as an aside: Gibbo RD Artists even more so); on the rare occasions my '65 IV gets an outing its through an Ampeg SVP-pro / SVT300 rig (effectively an SVT2-pro, with a bit more tonal flexibility) and Eden 410XLT. Untouchable.

Much amp advice here, but somebody mentioned the Mike Lull p/ups: http://www.mikelull.com/t%20bass%20parts.htm - probably the single best mod you could do to get that classic sound, albeit an expensive one.

Keep us informed......

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1327738466' post='1515971']
[sub]But Judas Priest have an all out Gibson (V, Paul, Thunderbird) thing going on.....[/sub]
[/quote]

No they don't - KK & Glenn have both used Hamers pretty much exclusively for years & Ian Hill always played a Jazz until he started using Spectors. He now has his own Spector signature model. The only Gibson I've ever seen a picture of Ian Hill with was a crappy old solid body violin shaped thing.
(Don't know what the new boy uses but to be honest I don't care - it's not Priest without Kenny Downing IMO).

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1327752832' post='1516204']
No they don't - KK & Glenn have both used Hamers pretty much exclusively for years & Ian Hill always played a Jazz until he started using Spectors. He now has his own Spector signature model. The only Gibson I've ever seen a picture of Ian Hill with was a crappy old solid body violin shaped thing.
(Don't know what the new boy uses but to be honest I don't care - it's not Priest without Kenny Downing IMO).
[/quote]

Ah well I do agree, but i looked on the 'Priest website, and in the live shots looks like their running Gibbo's all round recently.

Surprised if it was Saxon, the classic Saxon sound is Fender P. Beginning to run out of bands that has such a definitive T Bird look as its signature bass. How about one of the newer offshoots like The Union? still doesn't really require a T Bird though