Why become a member? ×

So you have to use a Thunderbird or you dont get the job

grimbeaver

I have Just been offered a gig with a band (cant say yet until it is official) and have to play a Gibson Thunderbird, Its a must with no other option.

What Amp and speakers sit best with them?

I have some nice Eden gear but it's not good together.

I have an Orange terror 500 and barefaced 2x12 that rips with an active bass but is a bit mushy with the T bird played fingerstyle

I do like a bright crunchy sound, has anyone got any experience with this IE SVT or the likes, I think 1x115 and 4x10 or maybe a 6x10 is the way to go as the 8x10s are monsters.

Any serious advice gratefully recieved, budget within reason is not an issue

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1327666763' post='1514994']
If they are demanding a T-bird, they are probably not after a 'bright crunchy' sound tbh. How about making some cardboard wings to fit over your Jaydee? :D
[/quote]

I don't think they care about the sound tbf

[quote name='grimbeaver' timestamp='1327666615' post='1514989']
Trust me you would not want to turn this gig down
[/quote]

I think you underestimate me... as soon as anyone turned round and said I HAD to play a certain bass or I'm out then they can swivel (short of Dream Theater or other epic band)

[size=4]Your gear looks good. It would be a shame to have to get something else. [/size]

[size=4]While "bright" and "crunchy" is probably not what your band is after, can you change the pickups in the TB to something with a more dynamic sound? SD's or email Mike Lull and ask what he puts in his TB basses. [/size]

[size=4]You could look at the Sadowsky off board preamp that was in the FS section. [/size]

[size=4]It sounds like the bottom line is get the gig and sound like they want. I could live with that if the gig was good enough.[/size]

[size=4]ps[/size]
[size=4]There's a Bergantino 610 and SVT in the FS section. That would make your TB sound great and keep the band happy.[/size]

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327666926' post='1514999']
....I think you underestimate me... as soon as anyone turned round and said I HAD to play a certain bass or I'm out then they can swivel (short of Dream Theater or other epic band)....
[/quote]

[size=4]I don't understand why you are so proud of this! [/size]

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327666926' post='1514999']
I think you underestimate me... as soon as anyone turned round and said I HAD to play a certain bass or I'm out then they can swivel (short of Dream Theater or other epic band)
[/quote]

Don't think I can agree with you on this - sometimes there's a reason.

I depped for a Northern Soul band before Xmas and they made it very clear up-front that they absolutely wanted the Duck Dunn vibe to my kit - I had to play a Precision.

I could see exactly where they were coming from, and I had no problem with playing a P in a soul band. :lol:

I used to have an Epiphone Thunderbird, and a Gibson Les Paul bass - which is probably more Gibson Thunderbird sounding than the Epi, due to being made of mahogany. I put it through a Hartke HA4000 with Hartke XL 210 & 115 cabs. Sounded great.

I`ve found Eden cabs to be very good, especially with Ampeg, so possibly try the Terror through both XLT cabs? Should have a bit of that feel about it.

When the auditions whittled down to just me I purchased a Thunderbird for the audition, thats how much I wanted the gig, they wanted cometent playing and a look. The rig will be backlie moniter to me and the rest will be up to sound guys to do there worst to so I dont have a lot of controll there.

I need a rig that looks the part so it will have to be a big heavy numb thing, and my preference to hear onstage would be bright and clean so that I can pick myself up in the mix, after that front of house is out of my control.

I can see I am going to have to get a SVT valve head and a coffin

If they just want the look I'd have got myself a warmoth body/neck and tricked it out to look like the real thing buut sound the way i wanted if it were me...

Compress/EQ and use the Orange/Barefaced would be my choice, especially since it's just for personal monitoring. Only way I'd ever consider an SVT stack is if i didn't have to carry it myself!

Must be some band to have you spending that sort of £ on gear!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1327667113' post='1515005']
maybe thats why you havent been asked yet! :)
[/quote]

Perhaps, although two bands is enough for me at once tbh :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1327667374' post='1515011']
I don't understand why you are so proud of this!
[/quote]

I don't think it's a case of being proud of it. If they said we'd like a sound more like "x" to work with the band and possibly something that looks a little more like "x", "y" or "z" then I would be much more inclined as they are involving me in the decision making process for the instrument [b]I have to play. [/b]I just don't like the idea of "play this or else". Honestly though I play music for fun and stress relief, not on a professional basis so feel free to disregard it based on that.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1327667376' post='1515012']
Don't think I can agree with you on this - sometimes there's a reason.

I depped for a Northern Soul band before Xmas and they made it very clear up-front that they absolutely wanted the Duck Dunn vibe to my kit - I had to play a Precision.

I could see exactly where they were coming from, and I had no problem with playing a P in a soul band. :lol:
[/quote]

But were you given a choice in the matter?

Sounds like the backline is as much about the image as the instruments.

I'm guessing from what you've said so far this is old-school rawk, so it's got to be a valve Ampeg with one or two 8x10 cabs. Or perhaps if you want to be a bit more radical an Acoustic amp with one of their folded horn cabs?