Why become a member? ×

Open Strings??

bubinga5

Im in the early stages of teaching myself how to read, and getting my theory to where i want it.... the book that im learning from uses alot of open strings... im neither for or against, but i just wanted some opinions..... ive never really used open strings in general..

do you think its a good habit to get into? i quite like the stretching, not using open strings, but are there any benefits to using open strings i might be missing ?

thankyou

I often use open strings to fill a riff and as a passing tone - I've only done this for a few years - previously had problems controlling an open string but I now do this with the palm of my right hand..takes a bit of getting used to but once mastered it becomes second nature..

Not using open strings seems really odd to me. They are four/five notes that are available in any position and if you're playing fretless they are four/five notes you know are correctly intonated so they are always a clue to the rest of your intonation. One note is only available as an open string.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1327448273' post='1511586']
Not using open strings seems really odd to me. They are four/five notes that are available in any position and if you're playing fretless they are four/five notes you know are correctly intonated so they are always a clue to the rest of your intonation.
[/quote]
with you on that one :)

I use the open strings as I like to hear them ring too.

I used to be one of these people that had been told open strings weren't the done thing, & that all the notes had to be fretted.

Not any more.... My take is that the notes on the open strings are just as valid as the fretted ones, & in some cases using open strings can make some passages easier to play than fretting them.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1327448273' post='1511586']
Not using open strings seems really odd to me. They are four/five notes that are available in any position and if you're playing fretless they are four/five notes you know are correctly intonated so they are always a clue to the rest of your intonation. One note is only available as an open string.
[/quote]Agreed 100%.

When I first leant and played fretted 5 string BG I always hovered around the 5th fret and just played the usual rock and pop pentatonics largely from that place. Makes you really lazy...

Completely changed my playing style when I moved over to fretless. Now open strings are the life blood of my playing... especially on the DB. My advice would be to the OP that if you ever intend to progress on to a fretless instrument, integrate open strings in to your practising, arpeggios, scales and playing... makes it easier in the long run.

First band I was in the guitarist refused to use a capo. We'd go off and learn the songs, meet up at rehearsal and the guitarist would play in a completely different key to the record on a few tracks.

The drummer and the vocalist (who couldn't hit the notes whatever key we were in) had no idea or interest in what key things were in, as far as they were concerned I'd learned the songs wrong and was trying to blame the guitarist :rolleyes:

As it was the guitarist's band and I was up for a challenge I avoided open strings so I could transpose everything without too much trouble as I didn't know which songs were originally recorded with a capo or not :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

My pet hate is music in bass tab form where it seems like a computer, or a non-bass player, have transposed it and worked out the fingering. Sometimes you'll see eg. a fast riff with open notes where its blindingly obvious it was played with a fretted note at eg 5th fret. So I have to 'read' the bass tab and figure out the note, then figure out in my head where else on the neck that note is.

If you're learning, then try a fretted variation of the fingering. It might be easier, or harder. But its worth working out, knowing and being aware of the variation and knowing how it sounds different.

My other pet hate is music notated with no rhythm at all, or non-standard notations like the numbers of tab with little quavers and rests underneath it, sometimes with crotchets across the beat, etc etc. Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!!!!

It's all about knowing your axe - if you're not required to use something you know on a gig, it does not mean it was not worth to spend time on it.

If you need more obvious example - my teacher told me about Pat Metheny's instrument knowledge - Pat knows his axe so well that he can solo in only open position and make it sound good. The same goes with soloing using only one string for him.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1329896619' post='1549130']
Using open strings is essenitial, if in a rock band and wanting to make the devils horns sign, whilst playing.
[/quote]
[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1330088241' post='1552496']
An often overlooked technique, as is the sweeping round the audience with a pointing finger.
[/quote]

Ah but what about LH hammering on ;) That leaves the RH free to play a trumpet :P ( or make gestures of course) :D

Open strings should be used as and when needed and never overlooked when playing a riff that requires a large shift of position, if an open string can be used to make a change of position smoother.
I have included a PDF file which demonstrates this. It so happens that the two examples are very similar but these are the only two transcriptions I could think of where the open string could be used in this way.. Both are Stevie Wonder songs so it could be that is why they are similar. I am also aware my explanation of playing in position deserves a better explanation if I have not made myself 100% clear.

One final note, why not play an open string with the same note fretted or even alternating between the two, mute one and play the other etc.etc.

[attachment=101305:Position.pdf]