Why become a member? ×

I don't fancy headlining, thanks

Gust0o

Just thinking out loud, chaps. Looking for your thoughts and feedback.

Having played our first gig with the new line-up just before Xmas, we've been pretty pleased with the feedback to-date - the time and effort in writing, rehearsing and finding the right singer have paid off! Or, more modestly, are now starting to do so.

Thus the plan was to play some more smaller venues, bring more people along, and start to build a following and vibe.

However, we've now been booked to play a larger venue, through a contact the guitarist has - brilliant! Go on early with some bigger bands, let more people have a look at us, etc, etc.

We've now been told we're headlining, since no one else wanted to do it. On a Friday night. Isn't that great, guys, our guitarist wanted to know.

I'll be honest, it feels like a recipe for disaster. We've maybe six songs we're comfortable with on the new line-up, and only one gig; there will be the usual gear woes; and it's all booked through a 'friend-of-a-friend' who no one but the guitarist has access to.

A few thoughts from me, which define the spectrum of options I think I have:
[list]
[*]Man up and play it - you're headling, it's great! You can show-off
[*]Put foot down - band isn't ready; no point showing off with half a set-list
[*]Volunteer for every awful work trip possible - can't play if you're not there, right?
[/list]
I'll need to opt for one in the next week. Thoughts?

Headlining is all about confidence and then being able to pull it off...if you can, you do...if in doubt, you don't.

It isn't as though you have your own crowd to swing it... so it would be a NO from me...unless you know the bill and can cover it.

We stormed a set and blew the headline away but their crowd saved the day for them...and they wont come near us again...BUT...even I will admit we lost out that day as they had more of their people in through the door
and they went down very well. It was agreat night all round really.
The upshot to the day was we have been back a few trimes as headline and were able to build on their crowd coming over to us... but I say we got blown off that day... albeit not musically.

Edited by JTUK

Yeah, I thought we tipped the headliners before Xmas - they're mates, so it wasn't a contest, but we got some grudging admiration. But that doesn't translate into friendly faces and more proficiency, you're right.

Thanks for the input JT. I often find this forum useful for throwing stuff out to see what other people would do.

I wouldnt say headlining - more playing last.

I'd do it. You'll be needing live experience if you've only gigged once. Get those niggles out.

Also - if its a friday night, you may get a crowd who will just appear for a drink then stay!

Headlining to me is when you have a crowd who will come see you/you can attract a crowd. IMO playing last does not mean headlining.

Personally I would get the band into a rehearsal studio as often as you can comfortably allow to make sure you are all confident of playing your set live.

I've been playing for years in front of crowds ranging from the bar manager and an old guy in with his dog to a few thousand people but we headlined the Dundee Beatles Weekend which was full of the biggest Beatles fans in Scotland and many that had come from Europe and South of the Border and I nearly sh*t myself but we'd rehearsed plenty and that was what helped us get through the initial nerves.

We also headlined but didn't play last

Edited by Delberthot

Headlining on the pub circuit with originals bands is the second worst slot to opening up; that's why nobody wanted to do it. Best slot is always main support, because then you have anybody who's still in from the opener, your fans, any the lucky headliners have brought, and it's usually still early enough for passing trade too. When we get landed with a headline, I sneakily organise it so that there's a fairly comprehensive gear share for the night and consequently the other bands each have something expensive left on stage in use all night, hence keeping them and their friends around. And then if possible, call it a "joint headline" and offer to go first!

Definitely do it, though!

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1325169316' post='1480476']
I wouldnt say headlining - more playing last.

I'd do it. You'll be needing live experience if you've only gigged once. Get those niggles out.

Also - if its a friday night, you may get a crowd who will just appear for a drink then stay!

Headlining to me is when you have a crowd who will come see you/you can attract a crowd. IMO playing last does not mean headlining.
[/quote]

Woody speaks sense, you need the practice as a band and playing last isn't the same as headlining. I say do your best to hold the crowd that turn up for other bands and rock the place.

I once headlined at a gig about as far away a you could get from our local area but still classified as London.

We thought 'why not, it's a headline and a nice venue'.

However it was so far away that none of our regulars wanted to trek right across London.

We tipped up early, sound checked, made friends with the bar staff, manager and sound man and waited forthr other bands to arrive.

First up was a full on goth band who arrive in a hearse with a huge entourage of followers. They could barely play their instruments, didn't know how to set up their brand new amps etc.

Then came a funky little power pop band, also a bit patchy technically but had one good singer. Very cocky and moved some of our gear around without asking and demanded extra long sound check.

Anyway - both bands were local and rammed the place. Both were a pain in the arse to work with and one of them had a row with our guitarist because he wouldn't let them borrow his guitar as a back up because the other band 'always broke strings'.

Goth band were awful but their rent a crowd loved them and most promptly buggered off as soon as they finished.

Power pop band had moments and also had a partisan crowd. They tol their fans to leave as soon as they finished because we'd been so 'unreasonable'!

Net result, by the time we were due to go on the room had about 8 people left plus staff. Of the 8 it turned out that 6 were regulars who always stayed late as the bar was open until 2am.

We ended up taking requests from the 6 drunks, the sound man and the bar staff (all of whom were up on the bar dancing at one point).

Manager paid us happily and invited us back but we politely declined :)

Vague moral of this is that you really need to check all the details about the other bands, their level of support etc and also bring as many fans of your own along as you can :)

Well 6 songs isn't going to stretch very far when played live and I'm guessing you'd feel more comfortable if you had 12. :)

With most new bands there is an initial steep learning curve where the members are all trying to work out 'where they stand' musically within the group and this tends to slow things down until everyone gets a measure of each others (and own) limitations and have the confidence to slam the brakes on when there's a mistake and sort it out.

Now you have 6 songs under your belt you should be reaching the end of this curve and the next 6 songs should be significantly quicker to get licked.

You haven't said if this is an originals or a cover band (or a bit of both), but if its a covers band then just agree the next 6 tracks and get everyone to agree to practice them at home, iron out any glitches in the next full rehearsal and don't be afraid to ditch any of them that just don't work - there's no bigger waste of time than doggedly clinging onto a track that's never going to work just because work has been put into it.

Simples..If you can put the other bands away..and you know that, then sure, headline.....( altho I agree you can't call yourself a headline act unless you pull the main crowd.... )

Ask yourself why everyone else is giving you top spot...?? others have alluded to the poss reasons and I'd want to know how the gig works to make a final decision

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1325175496' post='1480588']
6 songs isn't going to stretch very far when played live and I'm guessing you'd feel more comfortable if you had 12.
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1325181179' post='1480702']
Ask yourself why everyone else is giving you top spot.
[/quote]

And this.

I think, when you get to the gig, seek out the organiser, and inform them you only have 6 songs. If I were organising a band night, I wouldn`t want the headline/last act to only have 6 songs.

This may be one of the scenarios as above, where all the bands have their own crowds, but transport is sparse at the very end of the night. Or, possibly a case of your guitarist having done a deal that all the bands can use your gear, hence you going on last, making things easy for them/less changeover time.

Yeah only take top spot if you know you'll be the best and most supported act. If you're not ready then be patient. If you think you can pull it off tho then do it as it'll be a great springboard.

I absolutely hate with a passion any band that doesn't show up for the whole night. If bands leave when we're on, after we've cheered them on during their set / lent them gear / got the crowd to give them a big cheer, then I rip them to shreds as they leave. I've even stopped mid song to draw everyone's attention to it before. I hate bands with attitudes and don't ever tolerate rudeness. Of course if they have another gig to go to then that's ok lol.

The best advice anyone ever gave me about playing gigs where you want to get a good reaction was 'If you've only got 20 mins worth of good material don't play a 40 mins set'. Rather people said ' Wow they were great, pity they had such a short set' than 'That lot were crap and they went on and on and on.....'.

This applies to encores too............leave em wanting more (not less).

I think it sounds like no one else wanted it - which suggests a mixed bag on a murky bill; no one other than our guitarist knows the details. I reckon it'll definitely be "playing last", as so many of you say.

As for the six songs... Well, it's as many lyrics as we've managed to get past the new singer. But yeah, I'd be happier with more... Just in case, as I suspect we'll be making up slack at the end of the night.

I'd do it in a blink, just not in that slot.

Playing last is one thing; playing late another. Make sure you play asap after the band before you has finished, and make sure to talk to the organiser to kick their ass to finish in time - no encores for the support!!. Really crap if you come one after everyone's left for the last tube. Make sure you get a good compere to announce you'll be playing, the other bands can also do that (recommend their crowd to stay). We used to always play last since we were that type of band (Lonesome Cowboys from Hell).

Nice thing about playing late is you can expect the crowd to be pissed, so try to be louder than the other bands, play a bit wilder and make it short and impressive. Don't play anything in minor. Play a singalong, a drinking song, some punk rock or something like that at the end. You will be invited again.

After soundcheck, get a good meal, then listen to the other bands. If you have merchandise, chat up some girls and tell them you'll be tossing free t-shirts to the ones who dance in the front. Works.

I have previously with bands turned down the headline slot for a certain venue. Although this is going back a few.

It was a good regular crowd down there for 6-8 bands doing 30 mins each and the crowd was teens to early twenties. Problem was as a headliner going on at 10.30 a lot of the younger ones had been picked up by parents or they were fed up with some dirge they had heard (this place literally let ANYONE play providing the band had a member under 18)

We played it pretty much monthly and were building up a nice rep and doing well selling CD's and shirts (the gig was unpaid but you could flog stuff and we often came away much better paid than at any of the paying venues we played!) But whenever they offered us 'top spot' which became monthly due to our regular gig there and the fact we were getting the place moving we turned it down as we would rather play to the 250ish people there at 9 than the 90ish left by the end.

[quote name='janmaat' timestamp='1325193051' post='1480877']
Make sure you play asap after the band before you has finished, and make sure to talk to the organiser to kick their ass to finish in time
[/quote]

+1

...and whatever you do, never let a screamo-metal band go before you unless you're a screamo-metal band as well. They have a nasty habit of clearing venues, especially those with no door cover, but a lot of music promoters don't seem to 'get' the fact that not everybody who likes rock and metal is into it as a style, so think nothing of putting one mid-bill!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1325169113' post='1480473']
Could be worse. I've played mid-week gigs where almost everyone has left by 10pm leaving the headline band to play almost for themselves.
Should be OK on a friday night . . . hopefully.
[/quote]

Makes for a good late night and drunk practice.