Why become a member? ×

I don't fancy headlining, thanks

Gust0o

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1325168678' post='1480456']
Just thinking out loud, chaps. Looking for your thoughts and feedback.

Having played our first gig with the new line-up just before Xmas, we've been pretty pleased with the feedback to-date - the time and effort in writing, rehearsing and finding the right singer have paid off! Or, more modestly, are now starting to do so.

Thus the plan was to play some more smaller venues, bring more people along, and start to build a following and vibe.

However, we've now been booked to play a larger venue, through a contact the guitarist has - brilliant! Go on early with some bigger bands, let more people have a look at us, etc, etc.

We've now been told we're headlining, since no one else wanted to do it. On a Friday night. Isn't that great, guys, our guitarist wanted to know.

I'll be honest, it feels like a recipe for disaster. We've maybe six songs we're comfortable with on the new line-up, and only one gig; there will be the usual gear woes; and it's all booked through a 'friend-of-a-friend' who no one but the guitarist has access to.

A few thoughts from me, which define the spectrum of options I think I have:
[list]
[*]Man up and play it - you're headling, it's great! You can show-off
[*]Put foot down - band isn't ready; no point showing off with half a set-list
[*]Volunteer for every awful work trip possible - can't play if you're not there, right?
[/list]
I'll need to opt for one in the next week. Thoughts?
[/quote]

Not wanting to throw cold water on you or anything but... "headlining" often just means you play last. Which is not really the meaning of headlining, but... that's what a lot of people call it. Being the last band is not always great: it usually means you have to be there early to soundcheck, and you are last to leave. In addition, sometimes they want the "headliners" to provide equipment: drum kit, or amps, etc...

My first "headline" was like that. I agreed to bring my amp and let it be used by everyone. I felt like a real mug when I was there so early, and had to do all the set up and dismantling afterwards when other bands just cruised in, played and left. Ah, live and learn. Now if we play one of those gigs, I make sure the "promoter" (spit, don't start me there... anybody calls themselves a promoter these days) knows I bring my amp and only I use it... or I can use somebody else's (I leave my head and one cab in the boot of my car as a backup, just in case). Thankfully we don't play many of those anymore, but we still get asked sometimes and we just cannot say no to playing live :lol:

In a lot of multiband events you mostly get people coming to see their mate's band, and leave afterwards. So you may be last and play to 10 people while the band before you had the place full. Especially if this is one of your first gigs...

My advice would be: expect the worst, expect it to suck from an audience point of view... but go there with a good attitude and ready to enjoy yourself. Then if it's good, bonus! :)

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1325184372' post='1480747']
Yeah only take top spot if you know you'll be the best and most supported act. If you're not ready then be patient. If you think you can pull it off tho then do it as it'll be a great springboard.

I absolutely hate with a passion any band that doesn't show up for the whole night. If bands leave when we're on, after we've cheered them on during their set / lent them gear / got the crowd to give them a big cheer, then I rip them to shreds as they leave. I've even stopped mid song to draw everyone's attention to it before. I hate bands with attitudes and don't ever tolerate rudeness. Of course if they have another gig to go to then that's ok lol.
[/quote]

:lol:
people with this attitude truly make me laugh :P

You are not my mate, and I may not be interested in your music, or maybe just not interested in staying in that venue to watch any band... it's not a personal thing.
Why do you worry so much that 4-5 people who did not come to see you leave while you play...

Much of an ego? :lol:

I'm always polite and respectful to other bands (as long as they do not give me a reason not to be, you know the ones: cocky and aloof 'cause, you know, they play in a band).
I always cheer the band playing in a bar, anywhere... unless they're truly dreadful, in which case I will still not boo them.
But to expect me to stay there watching simply because we share stage?
Ridiculous.
Sometimes I will stay, sometimes I won't. If you want to take it personally be my guest... :rolleyes: