Why become a member? ×

First set of flats

norvegicusbass

I have been unhappy with the tone of my bass for a while now and the "brightness" of my roundwound strings ( especially the G string ) so want to buy my first set of flats. I think flats are the way to go to achieve the silky smooth deep tone I am after.Thing is I am rock bottom skint so want a half decent set that is good value for the cash. My guitar isnt great so no point going straight for the gold standard flats I just need a sort of cheap starter set, any ideas?

I picked up a set of these a short while ago. Someone on here had written very favourably about them, I was curious anyway so thought I'd take a punt. Not being a flat-wound player I haven't got anything to compare the brand to, but they feel good under finger and sound pretty decent too:

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/601-picato_4_string_stainless_steel_flatwound_bass_strings_45_105_

w./

I've had Webstrings Detroit flats before, they seem to be pretty reasonably priced and for my first set of flats I had no complaints. Got a set of Rotosound on at the moment, little bit more expensive but also seem to do the job. I'm no string expert but have been happy with both.

I've had my Roto flats on my Thunderbird for about a year now, I think, and still love them.

I am able to still get a very bright tone, something resembling fretless sounds or an impressive honk.

Where you play can also influence to tone. I play right up at the bridge and use a lot of staccato notes to give my sound added punch

Status flats are really good value, but are pretty old school & thumpy. Might not be what you're looking for if you're new to flats, but I like them.

La Bella or Thomastik tend to be the best all-rounders I've used. Chromes are much brighter - they sound like roundwounds at first, but they mellow with age. Unfortunately, all of these sets cost a lot more than rounds - I've found it an expensive business trying out flats!

Cheers,

B.

Edited by benebass

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1324652523' post='1476714']
Thanks for all your answers some good info there. Benebass I am from Newcastle Upon -Tyne also :)
[/quote]

Small world! Unfortunately I had a clear out a while ago, so don't have any spare flats sitting around at the mo. I think you'll find some on here soon though & I've found stuff on [url="http://www.gumtree.com/newcastle"]http://www.gumtree.com/newcastle[/url] or [url="http://uk.freecycle.org/"]http://uk.freecycle.org/[/url] in the past...

Cheers,

B.

[i]Another recommendation for Status flats. I've converted to them from La Bellas, find them a bit more focused in the mids & they're about half the price.[/i]
[i]Webstrings are good also, old school thumpy tone.[/i]

Why not go for the Status half wounds? They are rounds that have been smoothed to make them between a flat and a round. They are great strings for the price. Their flats are excellent value as well. But strings are such a personal thing you would need to get a set and find out for yourself.

Jez

[size="2"][color="#ffffff"]HHalf-wound strings start off as regular round-wound then have the outer edges of the round wrap ground down slightly. This produces a string with a smooth feel and a tone somewhere between a round-wound and flat-wound string.
Ideal for a warmer tone and fretless basses to preserve the fingerboard finish.alf-wound strings start off as regular round-wound then have the outer edges of the round wrap ground down slightly. This produces a string with a smooth fHalf-wound strings start off as regular round-wound then have the outer edges of the round wrap ground down slightly. This produces a string with a smooth feel and a tone somewhere between a round-wound and flat-wound string.
Ideal for a warmer tone and fretless basses to preserve the fingerboard finish.eel and a tone somewhere between a round-wound and flat-wound string.
Ideal for a warmer tone and fretless basses to preserve the fingerboard finish.[/color][/size]

Here's a recent carol kaye facebook comment that may help you

GEAR I'VE USED....over the years. Hello Martin, nice to hear from you and thank-you for your nice
message. I've always played elec. bass with a HARD PICK, sort of tear-drop shaped pick on medium-gauge flatwound strings -- I only use the THOMASTIK JAZZ FLATWOUND strings which get that same sound and feel, only BETTER - these are fantastic long-life great-sounding flatwounds, the finest!

And I...

I just got a set of[b] [url="http://www.status-graphite.com/"]Status[/url] [/b]own make, flats, only £20 inc p & p which is good for flats. They dont just buy some strings in and label them Status either. They wind their own, in house. All types of strings and lengths, they even sell singles too.

Edited by daz

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1325087639' post='1479685']
Well my first set of flats came (Fender Stainless Steel 9050CL .45-.105 ) and I fitted them right away. Happy with the feel under the fingers but still a tad zingy. Does this fade with time? I am sure strings like this must mellow over a few weeks.
[/quote]
Many of us flattists prefer when the sring has aged a little (or even a lot). Be patient.