Why become a member? ×

First set of flats

norvegicusbass

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1324597725' post='1476221']
Status flats are really good value, but are pretty old school & thumpy (they're probably the Picato ones repackaged actually). Might not be what you're looking for if you're new to flats, but I like them.

La Bella or Thomastik tend to be the best all-rounders I've used. Chromes are much brighter - they sound like roundwounds at first, but they mellow with age. Unfortunately, all of these sets cost a lot more than rounds - I've found it an expensive business trying out flats!

Cheers,

B.
[/quote]

I've always found TI's to be mid focused while the Status flats have an open quality with plenty of top. :mellow:
I am using both at the moment - the TI's for old school and the Status for a more contemporary sound.
I recommend the Status Hotwire line to everyone, they are fantastic... oh and they are made by Status themselves btw.

I used to love Tomastiks, but the longer I used them, the more I found the tension (lack of) annoying.

I also had a bad habit of snapping A strings - about 4 over 18 months, whilst not snapping the others.

Not had the same problems since swapping brands.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1324597725' post='1476221']
Status flats are really good value, but are pretty old school & thumpy (they're probably the Picato ones repackaged actually). Might not be what you're looking for if you're new to flats, but I like them.
[/quote]

Status Flats. Indeed ALL Status strings are wound by them in house. Not other makes repackaged. They make a point of clearly stating this on their website. the only reason they are cheap is because they make their own so dont need to charge extra on them to make a proffit.

I've tried several types of flats over the years. In a nutshell my thoughts are:

Chromes are excellent, although a bit brighter than some. But they do mellow after a week or two.

The Fender flats are surprisingly good given that they are cheaper than a lot of brands.

I thought the Rotosounds were aweful. They had an inconsistent tone across the set, and just didn't feel right to me.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1325087639' post='1479685']
Well my first set of flats came (Fender Stainless Steel 9050CL .45-.105 ) and I fitted them right away. Happy with the feel under the fingers but still a tad zingy. Does this fade with time? I am sure strings like this must mellow over a few weeks.
[/quote]
Certainly no zing left in my Fenders!

But I suppose two years down the road that's not unexpected.

Edited by Leon Transaxle

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1325770212' post='1487366']
I recommend the Status Hotwire line to everyone, they are fantastic... oh and they are made by Status themselves btw.
[/quote]

Didn't know that - have edited my my original post. Still hasn't stopped me buying loads of sets though - they're one of the few companies who make 32" scale strings that I like & a lot less than the big names too!

B.

Edited by benebass

I like the sound of TI but the low tension is difficult and i prefer more tension.
Chromes are missing some mids which i love to hear, someone says he pressumes eb flats are chromes in a different package,
I think they changed their production, the first ones had more midrange and the newer eb flats are really similar to chromes in my oppinion.

For my sound i prefer most la bella flats, they have the lowend, the mids and fit perfect in context.
You may check also d'angelico smooth rounds, these are mostly halfrounds soundwise but feel like flats, they sound really nice and would be a pretty good step towards flatwounds from rounds