Why become a member? ×

if you had a guitar...

MythSte

I'm not a guitarist, but I've accumulated 3 guitars:

Variax 300 - useful for noodling, recording and making un-guitar like noises
Fylde Orsino acoustic - bought this second-hand in 1977, took me 2 years to pay for it and I treasure it more than any of my basses.
Fylde Electric - Solid mahogany from the late 70's/early 80s, Overlend pickups (EMG forerunner).

No specific guitar GAS...I just want lots of them.

The funny thing is, with bass I want ONE bass which can do it all. I obviously have yet to find it!

However with guitars I am comfortable with the idea of having one guitar for each job. So in an ideal world I would have decent tele, LP, semi-acoustic, a pointy headed rock monster, a sparkly spangly indie thang etc etc. I think it's because I haven't got any sort of emotional interest in guitars. I am pretty convinced any old piece of crap will do as long as it looks cool and you have enough effects!

I have just bought my 2 Chinese ES-175 copies because of "Make it wit chu" by QOTSA. It inspired me to write a dirty little track which cried out for an abused semi of some kind. And I like the shape of the 175s. So there I am happily buying 2 guitars for just one song. (madness I tell ya!)

Basses I take far more seriously.

P.

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='165027' date='Mar 28 2008, 08:03 AM']If I had a guitar, Hmmmmnnnnn .............................. Hold on! I just remembered I got loads

A few extras not on that old pic now, American strat, cheapo thru neck, tele copy.

Ultimate playability goes to the Fly, But what I hanker after is relic strats.[/quote]

That's a Hohner Jack 5 headless if I'm not mistaken....I used to own one. Absolutley loved it, but P/X'd it
for a Warwick Corvette 5 which was even better. Ah, the memories....

[quote name='StevieC' post='165452' date='Mar 28 2008, 06:27 PM']That's a Hohner Jack 5 headless if I'm not mistaken....I used to own one. Absolutley loved it, but P/X'd it
for a Warwick Corvette 5 which was even better. Ah, the memories....[/quote]

Back on topic, I also love Fender teles (like a lot of posts) for some reason. White or sunburst would be the preferred colours.
Probs something subliminal from the second gig I ever attended:

Are you ready for this....? Status Quo, in about 1985. It was their 'End of the Road' tour which I find really funny as they're still going NOW (LOL)

(First ever gig 10CC around 1984 at Newcastle City Hall)

I suppose I should start a new thread about best/gigs attended, and dream gig (who you'd love to play with on stage) unless someone else fancies doing it?

I'd love a matching Strat and Tele for those guitar noodling moments, probably Olympic White with Maple Necks and Brown Tortoiseshell guards. All through a nice modern valve amp like a DeVille or Peavey Classic 30!

Oh the GAS.... :)

I remember being highly interested in a [url="http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/musicalinstruments/guitars/electric/solid/sg.asp"]Yamaha SG2000[/url], after seeing Big Country playing them - loved the looks and the sound. More recently - yes, a Parker Fly would be very nice, especially the upcoming Adrian Belew signature model with MIDI pickup. Mmmm...

What I do have, however, is one of these:

Oink!

Probably a Strat.

Currently have a pointy Ibanez that drives me so mad getting the floating trem set up that I have pretty much given up on it & got a Peavey Generation EXP with piezo's in the bridge. That is great for home recording. It could probably do with some better pups but for what I am doing noodling at the mo it is fine.

I heard the Peavey at a Stu Hamm demo and was impressed. Then saw Neal Morse last year & his guitarist was getting a great acoustic sound without changing guitars, and which turned out to be a PRS with piezo's installed.

So whatever I got (Strat or otherwise) I think now I would look for something with that option - or get it added

[quote name='charic' post='164956' date='Mar 27 2008, 11:55 PM']Id love the andreas black shark as a bass! Thats EXACTLY the shape id love :) Could be the first singlecut shape i like too :huh:[/quote]

Unfortunately for you the Andreas Shark Basses (Bull Shark and Basking Shark) aren't single cuts. The body shape was based on a reversed version of the guitar but with a long top horn. There was a photo of the later Infeld version of the bass posted in a thread here a while back but I can't find it now...

[quote name='ped' post='164958' date='Mar 27 2008, 11:58 PM']The FretKing Esprit V Custom looks beautiful[/quote]

Thanks!

That was my first ever custom ordered instrument. It was made in the original FretKing workshop behind one of the music shops in Birmingham in 1998. I was lusting after a Gibson Firebird V or VII, but the prices were far too high and the condition of the ones I could just about afford not too brilliant, plus I needed a trem and the Gibson one isn't really very good. I saw the FretKing Esprit at the 1998 Mad About Guitars show in Birmingham and thought that maybe that would be a suitable alternative. Mentioned to the people on the stand that I like the Esprit but what I really wanted was a guitar with a locking trem to replace my rather anonymous Yamaha super strat. It just so happened that one of the people actually building the FretKing guitars was there and said he was sure they could make me an Esprit with a trem. After that I just went mad with the options - flamed maple cap, black-burst finsh, Seymour Duncan mini humbuckers, ebony fingerboard and the final guitar cost me about one and a half times what a standard Esprit V would have. However mine is the only one like that and it far surpasses any Firebird that I've ever played so it was more than a result!

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='ianrunci' post='165528' date='Mar 28 2008, 08:15 PM']Mine is the Peavey EXP HP Signature in the pic. Georgeous, ebony fretboard and finished better than any other guitar Iv'e ever owned[/quote]
And yet I mentioned mine to a guitarist last Saturday evening & there was a definite air of "Peavey? Bag o' sh1te". Mine may not be the most expensive of models (£199 as I recall) but it looks good, plays well and sounds great for what I am using it for, both electric through the PODxT & acoustic model straight into the recorder. Still there you go.

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='165027' date='Mar 28 2008, 08:03 AM']If I had a guitar, Hmmmmnnnnn .............................. Hold on! I just remembered I got loads

A few extras not on that old pic now, American strat, cheapo thru neck, tele copy.

Ultimate playability goes to the Fly, But what I hanker after is relic strats.[/quote]
i want a singing frog :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='165568' date='Mar 28 2008, 09:26 PM']Unfortunately for you the Andreas Shark Basses (Bull Shark and Basking Shark) aren't single cuts. The body shape was based on a reversed version of the guitar but with a long top horn. There was a photo of the later Infeld version of the bass posted in a thread here a while back but I can't find it now...[/quote]

Ah well these things happen too often too me... guess its another custom job waiting to happen when I "have the money" lol

What guitar would I have? That's easy. I'm in the process of selling my guitar collection (Epiphone Sheraton, Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty, Epiphone SG, Gretsch Synchromatic Jr, Simon & Patrick electro-acoustic with cutaway, Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Plus).

I only want two guitars: a tobacco sunburst single-cut Les Paul Jr-type guitar with a single Bare Knuckle P90 in the bridge (the electric) and a Martin 'Little Martin' (the acoustic).

WOW, nice toys!!...................................

........................................................................i mean in the blue bucket by the TV!!! :)

I've got one of these:

Bought on a whim at a guitar show once - vaguely relates to my favourite kind of basses. Quite modern, has custom Seymour Duncan pickups, reasonably flash finish & some clever switching options :)

Edited by molan

I'm another one with a guitar or two and here's my fav, hands down:
[attachment=7093:LPPP_Body_Front.jpg]
It's a Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus with a pair of matched Bareknuckle
Stormy Monday p'ups. The neck one is in the funky Raw Nickel finish.

Just wish I could play it like Jimmy Page or Slash :)

I was fond of my Gordon Smith (G60 IIRC) biut not enough to keep it as an unused guitar once I'd got the Variax.

I'd sort of like a Parker Fly but the ones I've played haven't been that great to play.

Prototype Korean Squier Strat that someone's dad (IIRC it's Machines's dad) now owns. It's about the only stand-out 6-string electric I've ever played.

So I'm happy with my Variax 300. I'd have liked it in natural though, but I wouldn't like to pay more and have worse playability getting a Variax 700 instead.